• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, the Nudie didn't bother me a whole lot on SNL but I didn't love it either. However, it looked amazing last night at the Ryman especially when he'd turn his back to the audience and the sequin rose would light up. I think the Nudie needs to be experienced live in order to fully appreciate the strange and twisted beauty.

I wonder how much that appearance boosted sales of Sky Blue Sky. It's currently #63 on Amazon's bestsellers list, below a Nick Lowe reissue and above a Garth Brooks greatest hits album. I should've checked its ranking before SNL.

And really, what IS Walken about? Anything?

Girl problems, and hope that they'll turn out OK?

Walken ripped; I would have done The Thanks I Get or You Are My Face is I were Wilco, but I am not. It could be that those songs were the ones they were particularly feeling that week.

:rotfl That's rich....

Ummm, didn't they cut short HIH?

Also, as others have commented on Ellen Page -- she sure is cute as a button, but I think she yelled all of her speaking parts. She will learn that it's not needed to do that in live theatre. It bordered on annoying.

Edie, you are crackin me up, from the boots to Ellen Page yelling...too funny!

Guest Jules
It could be that those songs were the ones they were particularly feeling that week.

Maybe similar/same equipment, too? I don't pay much attention to these things, but they did play those 2 songs consecutively last night as well.

Maybe similar/same equipment, too?

Maybe somewhat but not for Jeff and Pat. Jeff has his "Walken" guitar and Pat comes out front for Walken :thumbup

dang that was an awesome performance of Hate It Here.

Honestly, it was. But even an awesome performance of that song isn't really the best intro to the non-Wilco fan that they could have come up with. That and I found the lack of a Nudie suit during that song to be distracting. :mellow

They had horns, fer chrissakes. Therefore it MUST be jazz.

I rewatched last night with the intention of detecting some jazz. The part that struck me as most jazz-like was Pat's Wurlitzer playing in Hate it Here. No telling what the original comment was referring to, though.

Girl problems, and hope that they'll turn out OK?

Walken ripped; I would have done The Thanks I Get or You Are My Face if I were Wilco, but I am not. It could be that those songs were the ones they were particularly feeling that week.

fixed it for ya :monkey

I would have preferred Side with Seeds and The Thanks I Get. These two songs are radical departures from the typical "Wilco Sound" and emblematic of where the band is strong. Well crafted songs with room for the individuals to shine (Nels on the live versions of Side with Seeds is sublime).

Didn't I read somewhere that Jeff wrote The Thanks I Get for Solomon Burke?

I finally got around to watching the SNL performances on TiVo last night (for that alone I probably deserve to be flamed by the hardcore), but I have to say I was disappointed. On the positive side, it's the first time I've seen the band on video in HD with 5.1 surround, and the picture and sound were wonderful and vibrant. But the song selection? OK, I like "Hate It Here", but "Walken" is just a lame song. If I was only casually acquainted with Wilco, and formed an opinion off these performances alone, I would say this band had jumped the shark. I get the whole appeal to the mainstream thing, but come on, with the catalog and talent these guys have, to trot out Walken for the thousandth time just disappoints me.

Oh, and Ellen Page is pretty damn annoying despite being kind of cute. Fred Armisen's Obama impression needs a lot of work, but his makeup is pretty convincing. And Darrell Hammond's Jesse Jackson is still pretty funny.

And really, what IS Walken about? Anything?

If I was only casually acquainted with Wilco, and formed an opinion off these performances alone, I would say this band had jumped the shark. I get the whole appeal to the mainstream thing, but come on, with the catalog and talent these guys have, to trot out Walken for the thousandth time just disappoints me.

What is it with the raggin on Walken thing? It's just a happy little love song. It's got a little bounce, a little twang, a little sap. Add a little horn section, and it's a pretty funky little number. Why is that a bad thing? Makes me smile every time I hear it, and live with horns is just that much better. Not everything in the catalog has to be the same. Isn't that why we like these guys so much? We all love the other stuff too, but it seems odd to me that a simple, straightforward, happy little love song gets so much angst from the board.

Musta been the suit, that's all I can figure...

It's just a happy little love song. It's got a little bounce, a little twang, a little sap. Makes me smile every time I hear it

My daughters had me introduce it to their friends, also 9 & 11, last night. They liked it, too. They all played different "air instruments" during the coda!!! It was so adorable!!! :thumbup

I finally got around to watching the SNL performances on TiVo last night, but I have to say I was disappointed. On the positive side, it's the first time I've seen the band on video in HD with 5.1 surround, and the picture and sound were wonderful and vibrant. But the song selection? OK, I like "Hate It Here", but "Walken" is just a lame song. If I was only casually acquainted with Wilco, and formed an opinion off these performances alone, I would say this band had jumped the shark. I get the whole appeal to the mainstream thing, but come on, with the catalog and talent these guys have, to trot out Walken for the thousandth time just disappoints me.

Amen.

I get that they want to play a song that's current and a song they all like to play.

BUT.......honest to God....if I got to rank the songs I'd want Wilco to play on SNL, Walken wouldn't be in my top 100.

We who have followed Wilco for so long KNOW how freakin' great and cool this band is. We know all of the songs that made our arm hairs stand on end.

And dammit it to hell, Walken just IS NOT one of those songs. Sorry. It's not. Yeah, it's cool to watch Jorgenson to bee-bop the keys and to watch Nels do his thing and to watch Pat rip his pick down the spine of his guitar. But it's a stupid song. It's a song to maybe play live in the mix of 24 other songs, but not to put on display for America. It's embarrassing.

For what it's worth, after years of trying to convince a big music fan friend of mine to give Wilco a shot, the SNL appearance finally did the trick. He emailed me that he dug the songs and asked which albums to download from iTunes. We have a convert.