• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules
Yeah, Wilco should've played "Poor Places" and "She's A Jar" on national television, instead of two of their poppiest rock songs.

I know! It's embarrassing.

Yeah, Wilco should've played "Poor Places" and "She's A Jar" on national television, instead of two of their poppiest rock songs.

:thumbup Nice one. The thing is though, someone that only likes poppy rock isn't going to like Wilco.

:thumbup Nice one. The thing is though, someone that only likes poppy rock, isn't going to like Wilco.

They might like SBS. They might not. But you can't blame a band for playing their most accessable tunes in front of millions.

They might like SBS. They might not. But you can't blame a band for playing their most accessable tunes in front of millions.

Oh, hell no1 I agree. They should have played 'The thanks I Get' and 'What Light'. Except one of them isn't on the album...

Didn't people used to say that about the Beatles? Although I guess they got their "poppy rock" out of the way first...

I used to work with a guy. A literal and figurative child of the 60's. A huge Beatles fan. BUT he had no use for anything post-Revolver except a few radio hits. It was unbelieveable. If you only get into poppy hooks, you only get into poppy hooks.

What is it with the raggin on Walken thing?

What is it with the people takin it so personally that some people don't like songs that they like themselves?

...or just that some of us may find it a goofy song amongst a list of much better material.

;)

The song just doesn't do anything for me. The best part about it is the little outro - but I'm trying to decide if I actually dig it, or if I'm just relieved because it means the song is just about over.

whoever said Wilco playing Walken is embarissing you have some issues"its not your band"theres nothing for you to be embaressed about

its this kind of entitlement that turned all the country soaked Tupelo fans on their heads when Tweedy decided to spread his wings

OK. I get it. Sarcasm. Hee-hee.

It would be ludicrous for me or anyone to expect/hope Wilco to play the 2 gems that you mentioned on its first SNL gig. I still think Always in Love or I'm A Wheel or Monday would have been great, but I understand Wilco wanting to play 2 songs off its new, Grammy-nominated album.

I just think they picked 2 of the worst songs off the album. With exception of Shake if Off, I think the 2 songs played are the clunkiest and most awkward songs on Sky Blue Sky....those 3 songs, along with Please Be Patient With Me, don't sound totally finished. I like how they fit in with the album, but nothing more.

My only guess as to why they played Walken is to allow the whole band (and Total Pros) to rock out. Side With The Seeds could have accomplished that goal....and done it in a far more creative, bold, and "hell-yes!" way. "On and On and On" would have been equally great as a final song....it has a slow start, but the lyrics keep you around....then it finishes wih awesome drums and noise by the band. Could have been a very moving performance.

Sky Blue Sky would have been a better choice than Hate it Here. The song is crisp, refreshing....like a summer breeze. Same goes for Either Way.

Of course, Impossible Germany was THE song to play, but time restraints surely killed it. That song would have been the best performance on SNL in years.

OK, I'll stop the complaining now. It's over and done with.

jnick, I see (and saw) your point. It begs the question, that if the reason for the appearance was exposure to possible new fans and possible increased record sales, then why play 2 songs that though I personally like alot, I can't imagine ever hearing on commercial radio therefore i can't imagine them attracting your average SNL viewer?