• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people's expectations were way too high. They were going to do two SBS songs b/c thats the last record, and they weren't going to sound their best in the SNL studios -- no band does. Its a more awkward venue that is basically removed from the fans -- most of whom are not there to see Wilco. No band is going to be as loose as they normally are with TV cameras all around them, only two songs to perform, and a silent, sitting audience watching. I thought the performance was just OK, but that didn't surprise or disappoint me at all (even though I just saw the band at the height of their powers at the 5 Residency shows). Jeff made it entertaining with the lyric change for Sue and the suit.

Also -- I disagree with all the knocks on SNL. I think this is one of their most complete casts ever and I laughed a lot at last week's show. This cast doesn't have a show-stopper like W. Farrel or C. Farley, but everyone is strong. Of course, some skits are going to suck, but that's inevitable with a live show and only a week to prepare.

All in all -- I'm just grateful to see my favorite band on a stage as large (and relevant) as SNL. I just hope there aren't too many new fans so I can still get tickets :cheers

"I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying it's wrong not to like a song, but not have a reason why you don't like the song? Why would you have to have a reason for not liking a song? "

I was just saying that I can agree with someone

"I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying it's wrong not to like a song, but not have a reason why you don't like the song? Why would you have to have a reason for not liking a song? "

I was just saying that I can agree with someone

if you did not like both of the songs played on snl then you should probably stop listening to wilco!!! They absolutely killed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was okay. Then again, it was just a t.v. show.

Also -- I disagree with all the knocks on SNL. I think this is one of their most complete casts ever and I laughed a lot at last week's show. This cast doesn't have a show-stopper like W. Farrel or C. Farley, but everyone is strong. Of course, some skits are going to suck, but that's inevitable with a live show and only a week to prepare.

I TOTALLY agree. SNL hasn't changed hardly at all over the years.....some truly genius skits mixed in with mediocre and crappy skits.

I STILL tune in to see the topical opening skit and then to see a bit or two that makes me laugh. SNL is the king of skit television.....they take risks....many times they fall flat on their face, but I'm OK with that. As long as they throw in a "Schvetty Balls" skit or "Gay Couple From Jersey" skit every so often.

if you did not like both of the songs played on snl then you should probably stop listening to wilco!!! They absolutely killed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't learn to spell "unlikely" then you should probably stop adopting song lyrics that use that word for your handle.

Posted Today, 11:20 AM

QUOTE (unlikley japan @ Mar 5 2008, 03:05 PM) *

If you can't learn to spell "unlikely" then you should probably stop adopting song lyrics that use that word for your handle.

i can not believe the negative thoughts on this board!!! can't a guy drink before he makes up his handle?

Posted Today, 11:20 AM

QUOTE (unlikley japan @ Mar 5 2008, 03:05 PM) *

i can not believe the negative thoughts on this board!!! can't a guy drink before he makes up his handle?

You can change it you know :)

Also, Vampire Weekend was pretty cool.

i only saw them do A-Punk, but that was one of those rare instances where seeing a band perform live made me like them a whole lot less. i found myself extremely annoyed and i really like that EP of theirs.

and since i have to provide a reason for not liking something...it was his voice and the goofy stage presence of the entire band.

Guest Jules
i only saw them do A-Punk, but that was one of those rare instances where seeing a band perform live made me like them a whole lot less. i found myself extremely annoyed and i really like that EP of theirs.

and since i have to provide a reason for not liking something...it was his voice and the goofy stage presence of the entire band.

well, fuck.

Totally agreed. I had only heard snippets but have seen quite a bit of press on these guys. I didn't care for it at all. It's like they were trying to be a preppy, less musical version of Arcade Fire.

Guest Jules

is this the first time you have seen them perform live? They were pretty much the same on Letterman.

Totally agreed. I had only heard snippets but have seen quite a bit of press on these guys. I didn't care for it at all. It's like they were trying to be a preppy, less musical version of Arcade Fire.

Funny ... I thought of Arcade Fire when I read this:

I wasn't into AF, then I saw them on TV (Letterman, I think) ... and that TV performance made me like them even less, for pretty much the same reasons.

is this the first time you have seen them perform live? They were pretty much the same on Letterman.

firt time i've seen them. have they always dressed like they are going w/ judge smails to the yacht club or is somebody telling them to play up the whole ivey league thing for PR?