i don't really get where you're coming from. their record sounds pretty great. they are very tight and i really like the arrangements of the songs. the album has a very cohesive sound, and is pretty fresh sounding as well. i think they are all talented enough at their instruments. i really don't hear anything amateur about the album.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, To my ears, it sounds like they are barely competent. I don't hear much evidence of any spark, verve or much else than them just coping with the songs.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, To my ears, it sounds like they are barely competent. I don't hear much evidence of any spark, verve or much else than them just coping with the songs.

Yeah, I'm definitely not hearing this.

Maybe we can prevail upon our friend M. Chris to suggest some good Afropop to listen to. I like it when I hear it, but I am in no way an expert. All of it that I have heard has had a lot more jump than Vampire Weekend.

Well, like I said, I'm not expert on it (I begin with Graceland and end with the Talking Heads, basically), but I don't see what that has to do with their musicianship. They are definitely competetent musicians. I can understand some of the other criticisms of their music, but I'm not hearing this one. They can play their instruments perfectly well. Whether or not they have pep, that is, I suppose subjective, but I hear plenty of pep in songs like "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" and "M79". Whether or not it is competent for Afropop isn't really my concern.