• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To echo a few sentiments here I just felt so proud that those guys took possibly the biggest showcase gig on TV (at least historically for the last couple of decades) and did so well with it. Many of my friends who never had even heard of the band until recently ( my fault :stunned ) were planning on watching and, like previous comments here have mentioned, how could you not like this band? They gave tight, punchy versions of two of the most kickin' songs on SBS.

Also, I'm totally down with the horns staying on as long as it fits the current direction of this group. How much polarization would there be about SBS if the Total Pros would have been on the record to begin with? Hell it might be hailed as one of the great Americana records of recent years. It really seems like Jeff's early comments about the direction of SBS as being related to soul is being more realized now a year and a half later.

Everyone left in my newsroom when "Walken" came on tonight thinks I'm a lunatic now for loving this band when they saw Jeff in the suit (except the dude I took to New Haven last weekend). F- them, what the hell do they know? Awesome, awesome performance!!!! Also liked that all the band members got some quality camera time. Thought "Hate It Here" was just ok, but I always think it's just ok.

hate it here was wilco trying to send a message that we shun corporate and tv world but if you dangle the carrot we will eat........

Walken to me is one of their worse live songs. Havent liked it since they played it on the preview tour 2 years ago........

But to be on a program where the opening skit was Hillary the Arse I am sure Jeff didnt like sharing the Green room with her and secret service. Guess she inhaled so he could enjoy the music........

Glad I didnt stay up for Wilco performance As i have stated SNL is on the way down the tube as its cast and humour are slack.......

Now lets see if the band can make Charlestonians happy this summer. All it would take is a 3 hour show with no opener and a few apologies and a free beer for all and just to make it a deal throw in breakfast at waffle house for everyone.......

:barf

Are you sure that's a Nudie?

My first thought was that Jeff was wearing a Manuel (who used to work for Nudie, but branched out on his own in 1980 and is the Rhinestone King now, :). Manuel exclusively outfitted Johnny Cash I believe starting in the early 70s. Here's a link:

http://nashville.about.com/od/nashvillesfamous/a/manuel.htm

you can get Manuel to make you a custom outfit today if you'd like. He's easy to find in Nashville! I LOVED Jeff's outfit! Nudie or Manuel, it's a great addition to Jeff's wardrobe!

by the way, they were GREAT on the show!!!

I stayed up last night to catch SNL. 'Hate it Here' sounded good/looked good and then of course I fell asleep and missed 'Walken'. Thank goodness for TIVO. I wish I had not fallen asleep, but SNL is so damn boring these days. Not to mention the teenager from Juno certainly did not steal the show (or make it funny). They postponed a sold out Charleston show for that - it is amazing the program is still on the air.

I can't believe how awful SNL has gotten. I only watched a few minutes of it last night, but it was far away from funny, which is a shame, because we all know how good it used to be. I thought I wasn't going to be able to stay awake for it last night (I actually fell asleep on the couch for awhile), but when I was still awake at midnight I got up and watched "Hate It Here." I thought it was good but a little stiff; I could tell how nervous they were. I went back to bed then, and got up again when I was still awake near 1. I caught the very end, then rewound my DVR to see "Walken." I thought that went much better. They were more relaxed, and by about halfway through the song, they seemed completely relaxed and played like the same Wilco we all know and love. Nels really tore it up with that last solo, and at one point the camera turned to Mikael, and he had a big, natural smile on his face.

I was proud of them. There have been arguments here all week about whether or not they're selling out, but when it comes down to it, I think it was a good chance for them to get a little exposure. And let's look at it like this, at least they did this in February; by the time tickets go on sale for any summer tour they might do, hopefully most people will have forgotten about them again and we'll have an okay time getting tickets :lol

Wow SNL is really bad nowadays. What the hell happened to that show? That girl from that Juno really can't act at all. Anyway I loved the way they played on Walken enough though it isn't one of favorites off of the new album. By the way to Wilco Worshipper it is awesome you got to get into see them play.

hate it here was wilco trying to send a message that we shun corporate and tv world but if you dangle the carrot we will eat........

Walken to me is one of their worse live songs. Havent liked it since they played it on the preview tour 2 years ago........

But to be on a program where the opening skit was Hillary the Arse I am sure Jeff didnt like sharing the Green room with her and secret service. Guess she inhaled so he could enjoy the music........

Glad I didnt stay up for Wilco performance As i have stated SNL is on the way down the tube as its cast and humour are slack.......

Now lets see if the band can make Charlestonians happy this summer. All it would take is a 3 hour show with no opener and a few apologies and a free beer for all and just to make it a deal throw in breakfast at waffle house for everyone.......

I'll bet that you are an absolute blast to hang with.

It seems what would make Charlestonians happy is if they skipped you guys altogether. Y'all seem to have enough fun moaning about a postponed show. A cancelled one should send you over the moon.

"Sure it's Sue".....that was nice.
I thought I heard it that way! Sweetness!

The Nudie (or whatevs) suit made my day. I'm so glad it keeps showing up but not too often, just often enough to remain a thrill.

Hate it Here was good but I think they really tore it up on Walken. They all seemed to be having a great time...I totally was! :dancing

I was beaming with pride like I was a Wilco's mother or something. :lol

I too felt very proud of "the boys"; like some and unlike others, I thought that they looked relatively relaxed given a pressure show like that. It must be very hard to go from cold to "on" with no warm up time so to speak. I have seen many of my favorite bands over the years on SNL (including Neil, the stones, U2 etc etc)and I can't say that many performed all that well.

I thought it interesting that John didn't sing back up vocals at all (which seemed especially apparent during Hate it Here). Loved the improvisation during Walken, and the Total Pros add a really nice dimension to both songs. The song selection was as good as it could have been given the parameters (though Pieholden would have caused a lot of jaws to drop on here).

And the Nudie suit... damn I love that thing. Though Jeff, my husband needs to take you shoe shopping -- some red half cowboy boots are just the ticket with that IMHO. The white sneakers just don't cut it. Maybe these.

Also, Wilco are getting a little national press, even if it is a mention at the bottom of the article. Link to article about Hilary

Anytime I see someone wearing tennis shoes with a suit, I think of John Lennon. I'll say one thing, the band is tight. I still think their sound is lacking some balls though, for lack of a better term