Jeff Mangum on Slate.com

They can't understand why Mangum would shun success just to shuffle through his days' date=' and, indeed, when musicians abandon this much promise, the culprit is usually drugs or debilitating accidents or people named Yoko.[/quote']

:lol

If I made In the Aeroplane Over the Sea I damn well would never need to make another record again. Of course, no one is as good at that sort of business like Jeff Mangum, but if I ever made a record 1/10 the quality of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea I'm not sure I would ever make another record.

If I made In the Aeroplane Over the Sea I damn well would never need to make another record again. Of course, no one is as good at that sort of business like Jeff Mangum, but if I ever made a record 1/10 the quality of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea I'm not sure I would ever make another record.

I'd want to make another one just to prove that it wasn't a fluke.

anyone who has read the three or four article/interviews floating out there and perused the E6 message board once could of wrriten this article. blah. I think the proper term is boo hiss or something.

I never heard of Mangum until reading that article. I have heard of the Elephant 6 collective but just never got around to picking up any products. I guess I'll try to track down this disc. Off to Reckless Records I go....

Score!

I just picked up a copy of "...Aeroplane...", brand new vinyl, for 10 bucks.

There's at least one more vinyl copy available at the East Madison store.

Prepare to either be taken off into a state of transcendent bliss, or to run away screaming with your hands over your ears.

(I am of the former camp.)

I'm definitely of the latter. Still the lamest of all E6 bands, by far. My current theory is that the album's mystique alone is what's managed to feed its critical reputation over the last decade or so, while much better bands (Of Montreal, The Apples, OTC, et al.) languish in comparitive obscurity.

Boo to Jeff Mangum.

I'm definitely of the latter. Still the lamest of all E6 bands, by far. My current theory is that the album's mystique alone is what's managed to feed its critical reputation over the last decade or so, while much better bands (Of Montreal, The Apples, OTC, et al.) languish in comparitive obscurity.

Boo to Jeff Mangum.

I agree with you on just about everything, well, everything as far as this board is concerned, but, on this subject

I was really hoping for a least one small bit of new info in the article, but like carlos said, there is nothing in this that hasn't been said a hundred times already.

Has anyone seen any of his wife's films?

I am sure I lifted the phrase from somewhere myself, but I actually wrote an overview of Mangum and Aeroplane for my school newspaper that was also titled "The J.D. Salinger of Indie Rock." It was not much better than this piece. Carlos is right virtually anyone on the E6 boards could have easily written this article. It's basically a re-write of the Creative Loafing article from five years ago (they even use the same pitchfork quote) and a summary of Kim Cooper's book. That said, Mangum hasn't really given anyone that much to write about in the last ten years, how many different ways can you ask/answer is he ever going to record another album?

Not sure if this is '05 or not.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zttcmj

it's not. the 2005 show Jeff sang it at, was not recorded.

That's probably Tweedy playing King of Carrot Flowers with the Minus 5 from that last night of the Lounge Axe.

--Mike

yeah it is. Jeff shares vocals with Scott McCaughey on this one.