A friend just picked up a bottle at the ABC store, and neither of us have tried it. What exactly happens when you drink it? Is it just another way to get drunk or will it really change your outlook on life?

Guest Speed Racer

If you drink a lot, there's a distinct chance you'll get drunk.

:lol No, but from what I've heard, you'll experience mild 'different than drunk' sensations and a bit of nausea. So unless you have a rather bland outlook on life, you ought to break even tonight.

make sure you drink it the way you are supposed to; pouring the cold water over the sugar, etc. do that and you'll be fine.

do shots of it, you'll be pretty fucked up for a while.

Guest Muncle Douchey

wait, you can buy absinthe in the states? is it real or just a low wormwood count?

i drank some in college, but couldn't get over the terrible taste, so i didn't drink even to experience anything. but have fun.

Toxic_baby_oh_my_small.jpg

Highly recommend this bar for an Absinthe drink in NOLA - it is down a small alley off of Jackson Square called Pirate"s Alley Cafe. They also have this weird "Dead Bay" drink.

sorry, that was "toxic baby"

Not any different than Jagermeister's hype then?

I've read that it's more or less a watered down version of wormwood extract.

Isn't this what Johnny Ola suggested when Michael Corleone asked what Johnny wanted to drink at Michael's son's confirmation party? If it is, watch out for Michael's bodyguard next time your in Havana.

I just recently dabbled in a bottle called Lucid, from what I have read they just recently lifted the ban on absinthe this year.

Heres an article on it:

http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2007/05..._in_the_usa.php

my buddy and I had a couple of flasks filled with it and walked around an outdoor art gallery... it was a lot of fun. I was feeling drunk / loopy after a while. No freakouts, no visuals, lots and lots of fun.

Last I checked, those 2 versions of absinthe in the states have no amounts of wormwood.

I picked up a Czech bottle of absinthe in Mexico. I got pretty tipsy quick. It was a bit of a different drunk, but no hallucinations.

From the wormwoodsociety.org - an Absinthe enthusiast website - faq's:

Absinthe is not a drug and it never was.

It won't make you "trip", hallucinate, cut your ear off, or anything else you wouldn't ordinarily do when intoxicated with liquor. Alcohol is technically a drug, but that's not usually what we mean when we say "drugs". Otherwise, we wouldn't say "drugs and alcohol." The terrifying hallucinations suffered by early absinthe abusers were most likely due to the withdrawal symptoms of acute alcoholism: alcoholic hallucinosis, or, the DTs. There are no psychedelic or psychotropic ingredients in authentic absinthe. Absinthe is not a drug.

Thujone isn't a drug either, and it's not related or similar to THC.

Thujone, the primary volatile oil in wormwood, is present in only in trace amounts in absinthe and is subtle in its effects at these levels. The current "high-thujone" and " extra strong" hype on many sites selling absinthe is a marketing gimmick aimed at the gullible who are in search of a new high. The role of thujone in the so-called "secondary effect" is greatly exaggerated, as is the effect itself. If you're here to read about thujone, read through the articles in our Absinthe Science section. The similarity in effect to THC was an un-tested conjecture from the mid-1970s and is unsupported by later studies. Thujone is NOT: a hallucinogen, a psychotropic substance, or a psychedelic. Thujone isn't a drug either.

I (vaguely) remember a few years ago my roommate and I went splits on a bottle (I think he paid around $80 for it). One evening, home alone, I got really drunk on absinthe and listened to techno all evening. I don't think it felt that much different than other booze, but I know I got really drunk in a hurry.

Now since I quit smoking the taste of any hard liquor grosses me out, so I am a well-behaved coffee drinker.