Ryman Show 3/2/08

Just got home. Others will have to tell you the set. All I can say is that it was the greatest concert I have ever seen. 2 years ago, I saw Wilco for the first time. Thought the show was spectacular, on par with shows from my younger days ( The Who, Allmans). Well, this time they blew past all that. Unbelievable energy, musicianship, great crowd, and of course, the Ryman. Jeff said it was the best place to play in the world.

I will try to get some sleep tonight but will replay this night in my memories forever...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been to a lot of Wilco shows over many, many years and this was unquestionably in the top two. What an amazing venue, and they used it to its fullest.

I can't even process it. I didn't keep track of the set list, but I will say this: "Someone Else's Song", solo, with no amplification. Near silence from the audience. One of the most startlingly beautiful musical acts I've ever witnessed.

Had dinner with Elixir Sue and the Dude before the show, and drinks afterwards. SarahC spotted me in the balcony and somehow recognized me (I have no idea how). It was before the show and I'd went to the edge to look at the stage as she happened to walk below. We had a yelling conversation over the speaker stack. :)

Amazing, amazing night.

The show was quite great and intense in parts ... amazing setlist (as I'm getting ready to type it, it's more amazing than I even remembered) ... I have seen Wilco more than 10 times and can say that this was one for the ages ... Tweedy even stated that the Ryman was the best venue in America to play ...

I wrote down the setlist (kept it in my cellphone, actually), so here goes ...

Via Chicago

Blood of the Lamb

Pieholden Suite

California Stars

Company in my Back

You Are My Face

Side with the Seeds

Pot Kettle Black

Shot in the Arm

She's a Jar

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

It's Just That Simple

Pick Up the Change

Too Far Apart

Nothingsevergonnastandinmywayagain

Jesus etc.

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm the Man Who Loves You

--------encore 1--------

Someone Else's Song (Tweedy w/o amplification)

Misunderstood (amazing)

The Thanks I Get

Red Eyed and Blue -> I Got You

Monday

--------encore 2---------

The Late Greats

Blood of the Lamb

Pieholden Suite

This coupling damn near knocked me on my ass. Incredible.

Does anyone know what all the videotaping was for? Of course, I'm speculating perhaps a future DVD release, what with the long and varied set list. I haven't heard anything, though.

Yeah....absolutely amazing. Very high energy throughout. Jeff in the Nudie suit, Nels gyrating and twitching......I'm drained from just listening, dunno how these guys do it night in and night out. Flat out the best band out there, and at the top of their game. I'll echo Poppy....seeing (and hearing) Jeff doing an un-amplified and un-miked Someone Else's Song was pretty amazing, reminded me of the last Ryman show when he did Acuff-Rose like that. Very, very nice.

This coupling damn near knocked me on my ass. Incredible.

Does anyone know what all the videotaping was for? Of course, I'm speculating perhaps a future DVD release, what with the long and varied set list. I haven't heard anything, though.

Yeah, one of the video tapers asked if she could film me and my girlfriend as we were sitting outside before the show....when she was done I asked her what was up....she said they are filming a documentary of this tour and it should (her words) be out in a year or so.

I will say this: "Someone Else's Song", solo, with no amplification. Near silence from the audience. One of the most startlingly beautiful musical acts I've ever witnessed.

:-O man alive.

Yeah, one of the video tapers asked if she could film me and my girlfriend as we were sitting outside before the show....when she was done I asked her what was up....she said they are filming a documentary of this tour and it should (her words) be out in a year or so.

Awesome!

Weren't you in section 11 of the balcony? I kept looking for you, although I had no idea what to look for!

:-O man alive.

That pretty much sums up the whole show.

I should sleep. Can't.

I should sleep. Can't.

Ditto for us - great meeting you guys. So many great songs / memories. We'd post some pics tonight but we don't have a USB cable handy. :ohwell

We had a blast meeting you guys, too! Definitely the perfect touch to a perfect weekend.

Awesome!

Weren't you in section 11 of the balcony? I kept looking for you, although I had no idea what to look for!

I should sleep. Can't.

I was in 12, I did see you, well thought it was you anyways and then when you posted about hollering down over the railing before the show I knew it was...I was gonna go over and say Hi but I wasn't sure and didn't wanna just go over and say hey are you poppy? I was off to your left in 12 row F wearing the black hoodie and the red sox hat. I saw you and your husband walk in....there was like 15 people in the balcony at that point. Shoulda said Hi I guess but like I said, wasn't sure......

You guys get to Gruhn's?

I was in 12, I did see you, well thought it was you anyways and then when you posted about hollering down over the railing before the show I knew it was...I was gonna go over and say Hi but I wasn't sure and didn't wanna just go over and say hey are you poppy? I was off to your left in 12 row F wearing the black hoodie and the red sox hat. I saw you and your husband walk in....there was like 15 people in the balcony at that point. Shoulda said Hi I guess but like I said, wasn't sure......

I wish you had! You could have joined us at Roberts Western World after the show!

Believe me, if you see someone in a crowd who you think might be me, it's probably me. I stand out a little. :)

When we were walking out, I thought about using my general tactic for finding internet people in a crowd: I damn near yelled "Darkstar!" to see if anyone answered.

Ah well. I'm sure we'll be back soon. We kind of fell in love with this city.

You guys get to Gruhn's?

Not yet. They were closed by the time we got to Broadway on Saturday. Brian rubbed his face on the windows, and possibly licked them, when we were on Broadway Saturday night. We're going tomorrow before we leave town.

Saturday we had dinner at Jack's, then spent most of the night at Roberts. We also hit the Ernest Tubb Record Shop, where I went a bit hog wild.

Sunday, we had Pie Pantry for breakfast, hit the Hall of Fame (loved it!), had dinner at Demo's with Elixir Sue and Dude, followed by the show and more Roberts.

Monday, it's Hatch Show Prints, Gruhn's, and on the road to pick up our dogs by 6 PM.

I wish you had! You could have joined us at Roberts Western World after the show!

Believe me, if you see someone in a crowd who you think might be me, it's probably me. I stand out a little. :)

When we were walking out, I thought about using my general tactic for finding internet people in a crowd: I damn near yelled "Darkstar!" to see if anyone answered.

Ah well. I'm sure we'll be back soon. We kind of fell in love with this city.

Not yet. They were closed by the time we got to Broadway on Saturday. Brian rubbed his face on the windows, and possibly licked them, when we were on Broadway Saturday night. We're going tomorrow before we leave town.

Saturday we had dinner at Jack's, then spent most of the night at Roberts. We also hit the Ernest Tubb Record Shop, where I went a bit hog wild.

Sunday, we had Pie Pantry for breakfast, hit the Hall of Fame (loved it!), had dinner at Demo's with Elixir Sue and Dude, followed by the show and more Roberts.

Monday, it's Hatch Show Prints, Gruhn's, and on the road to pick up our dogs by 6 PM.

Good deal!!!! Leave the cash and credit cards before going into Gruhn's.....dangerous place. Glad you enjoyed Nash Vegas. Sorry we didn't meet and you guys have a safe trip home....I'm finally ready to crash....was kinda keyed up after that show.......

"Best place in the world to play"

I was floating the whole show. These guys are such pro's. Blood on the Lamb was so perfect for the venue. John (bass player) sang a beautiful number on acoustic while Jeff played bass. They said it was a fitting song for the venue and they were right. Not much banter tonight "so we can play as many songs as possible". Jeff thanked the crowd for their encouragement while he played harmonica. He asked if they had seen anything good on TV lately(reference to snl of course). It was just completely solid as you would expect from this band and the venue/setting helped take it to the next level. I can't wait to see some of the video. I hope alot of it makes the cut. It should.

I attached the stage setlist. It differs just a little but not much towards the end.

Jeff at the edge of the stage playing "someone elses song" with no amp was such a great moment. crowd policed themselves great during this also.

Its amazing to see a band where almost every song is a highlight...unbelievable.

wilco_stage_setlist_ryman_3_2_08.jpg

Amazing show. This was only my second time seeing Wilco. I'm certainly a latecomer to the whole Wilco scene but now as a 30-year-old they are the only band that makes me feel as excited about music as I was 15+ years ago. This was my second show at the Ryman and my wife's first. We were in the second to last row, but dead center in section five. Can I just state for the record that the sound was incredible?

Any way, a few personal highlights:

Via Chicago - What an opening. Just spectacular. My wife said this song spooked her when she first heard it in Louisville, but it's really grown on her. We were both surprised that they would open with it, but Wilco certainly asserted their presence on the Ryman stage from the first note.

Blood of the Lamb - I never thought I'd hear this live. The clarinet was breathtaking, although it was a bit quiet in the mix.

Pieholden Suite - Very nice with the horns.

Company in my Back - I wanted to hear this or Hummingbird. I was not disappointed.

Pot Kettle -> Shot - these are the two songs that helped me go from interested listener to dedicated fan. It was amazing to hear everybody singing along to "Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm." After Shot, I leaned over to my wife and said, "It would be great if they played 'She's a Jar' now." And then they did! I about peed myself with excitement.

Hate it Here -> Walken - I enjoyed the SNL performances and I think they work well together. This time Tweedy grabbed his hair with both hands. I couldn't help but laugh at how it looked standing straight up. Again, I amazed my wife by leaning over and saying "Now they're going to play 'Walken.'" "How do you know?" "Oh, by the guitar their bringing out for Tweedy."

As others have mentioned, we all shared a quiet, intimate moment with "Someone Else's Song."

Misunderstood - Tweedy tapped into something that pushed this song to borderline eerie. The ghostly-white spot light on his face - that reminded me of flashlights and campfires - firmly established the atmosphere of the disconcerting message of the song. I can't wait to see/hear this performance again.

Hearing both "The Thanks I Get" and "The Late Greats" was unexpected.

Other highlights:

- I can't remember which song, but Glen starting hitting his sticks together to count in the band and then Jeff would interrupt him and say something into the mic. Jeff did it enough times that the repetition of the action was what drove the comedic moment.

- Pat's guitar strap fell off on Handshake Drugs, I believe. It was great to see the guitar tech come out and fix it...Pat's such a rock star. His usual posing and strutting on I Got You and Monday just added flame to the 70's rock star fire, although I didn't see any Townsend windmills.

- My wife loved how Nels would kick his feet while playing the lap steel. She also commented on his gyrations as he would play with the feedback, swinging his guitar to and fro, in front of the amp.

Well, it was a great show in a great venue with great fans.

But I just can't understand some people. We made our way outside and there was some guy sitting on the steps talking on his cell. He was really upset, telling his friend how horrible the set list was and that the performances were total shite. What? I certainly hope he was talking about some other show because he couldn't possibly have been talking about one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

...I just don't get some people.

Amazing show. This was only my second time seeing Wilco. I'm certainly a latecomer to the whole Wilco scene but now as a 30-year-old they are the only band that makes me feel as excited about music as I was 15+ years ago.

My husband says the same thing. He lost interest in music several years ago. I took him to a Wilco show last September, and he's rediscovered his love of music. It's great!

Misunderstood - Tweedy tapped into something that pushed this song to borderline eerie. The ghostly-white spot light on his face - that reminded me of flashlights and campfires - firmly established the atmosphere of the disconcerting message of the song. I can't wait to see/hear this performance again.

That was a highlight for me, too. Standing in the balcony, if felt like the music was moving through my feet and blasting up to the top of my head.

- Pat's guitar strap fell off on Handshake Drugs, I believe. It was great to see the guitar tech come out and fix it...Pat's such a rock star. His usual posing and strutting on I Got You and Monday just added flame to the 70's rock star fire, although I didn't see any Townsend windmills.

I've seen him windmill! I think it was in Kansas City last fall. With all of his strutting, we refer to him as Baby Jagger. :)

But I just can't understand some people. We made our way outside and there was some guy sitting on the steps talking on his cell. He was really upset, telling his friend how horrible the set list was and that the performances were total shite. What? I certainly hope he was talking about some other show because he couldn't possibly have been talking about one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

...I just don't get some people.

Maybe he had wandered down from the Guns n' Roses cover band playing at Tootsie's. ;)

Amazing show. This was only my second time seeing Wilco. I'm certainly a latecomer to the whole Wilco scene but now as a 30-year-old they are the only band that makes me feel as excited about music as I was 15+ years ago. ...

Man, IMO that's about the highest compliment a band could receive.

Congrats to Nashville fans for seeing what sounds like a damn great show! Thanks, Darkstar, for asking about the videotaping! The reporting of a documentary in the making is pretty exciting.

....she said they are filming a documentary of this tour and it should (her words) be out in a year or so.
That's way cool. I guess this means that everybody going to other shows should be sure to put on their prettiest faces and get ready for their time to shine on camera! :thumbup

Wow. I don't even know where to begin my review of the amazingness of last night.

Firstly, I am soooo glad Jeff wore the Nudie suit. :rock I was really hoping he would. Me and my friend Jenny got to talk to most everybody before the show. It was really nice to see everybody again. We hung out by the bus and there were these ebay sellers there waiting like vultures. It made me really mad. We met some really nice John Doe fans, and had a good conversation on the geekiness of standing and waiting by the bus. We got to talk to everybody except Nels, and got pictures and hugs. Jeff was really nice, as always, and we talked about school and random stuff. A little bit later, John Doe came out, and he was a lot nicer than I thought he would be.

After me and Jenny got our tickets we made a b-line for the merch table. How cool are those hatch prints?

We found our seats, which were center about 7 rows back. Pretty much in the same row I was in for the last Ryman show, but in a different section. I was so happy that there were short people in front of us, so we could see almost the entire stage the whole night.

Musically, oh man. I don't even know how to describe the magnitude of the set list. They played so many songs I never dreamed I would hear live. I almost cried when they opened with Via Chicago. :wub Then Pieholden Suite...holy cow!!! :omg Jeff had told me earlier that they were gonna do it, but I almost didn't believe him. It was so pretty! The highlight of the set for me though was Pick Up the Change. Oh my gosh. I really hope there were some tapers somewhere.

It was really weird not to hear Spiders, but a nice change of pace for sure. The entire set exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds!

After the show we got to meet the guys (again) in the balcony and bascially said our goodbyes and left really quick. Jenny's parents said she had to be home by 2. Didn't happen. We rolled into Chattanooga at 3:15.

Oh, another cool point, I talked to Nels about Chattanooga, and he said he really wants to come here, I told him if he ever does I can show him he can come see the aquariums for free. He said he might take me up on the offer. Ha.

And celebrity sightings include- Jason Isbell and Bobby Bare Jr. they were a couple rows behind me in the section to my left.

After me and Jenny got our tickets we made a b-line for the merch table. How cool are those hatch prints?

Any chance somebody could make a scan? They were sold out by the time we got there.

And celebrity sightings include- Jason Isbell and Bobby Bare Jr. they were a couple rows behind me in the section to my left.

Ah, so that's who those guys were. Yeah, that entourage looked a little too cool to be just normal fans.

I've seen him windmill! I think it was in Kansas City last fall. With all of his strutting, we refer to him as Baby Jagger. :)

Yeah, that's about right. Baby Jagger...my buddy's gonna get a kick outta that.

Sounds like the work and craftsmanship that went into making the residency so special has carried over into the restof the tour. These setlists are unbelievably good, and you can tell the band has hit an all time high. Glad you got a great show Nashville.

I will take a picture of it when I get it framed unless somebosy beats me to it. I'm on spring break this week, so my internet access is limited. Hopefully somebody else can get a picture up.

Yeah, the weird thing was they weren't at the aftershow. Jason held the door for me and Jenny earlier in the day when we were going in to find out about our tickets. Didn't say anything to him other than thanks.