How did you come by your VC Handle?

My apologies if this has been done before. I've been down in the basement archives so long, someone, or something came along and ate all my bread crumbs and I've had trouble making it back from the hatch. Anyhow, it occurred to me that many on the board (like myself) have a unique handle that has special significance or pays homage to a Wilco lyric, Jeff Tweedy, etc. I thought it might be interesting to share with the board the origins of our user names.

I was dubbed "big shoulders" Porter (my surname) many years ago in college by a colleague that drank a potent potable called "Big Shoulders Porter" (no longer brewed) from the Chicago Brewing Company.

The nickname stuck, and when I joined VC, it made sense to retain that identity, since Chicago is known as the "City of Big Shoulders." Louie B thought I was actually from Chicago, as we chatted in line on Day 5. I took that as a compliment, by the way. I did indeed fall in love with the city over the Residency.

Cheers,

Kevin "Big Shoulders" Porter

1336.jpg

PS: About my avatar: I have 2 cats, 2 turntables, and a microphone.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a boring story but oh well. I was 14 when m yfamily got our first aol account. I was 14 and couldn't think of anything better so I combined my two favortie band names at the time REM and Phish. REM is still my favorite but Phish may not even be in my top 50 anymore. I refuse to change my name though because I am sentimentally attached to that snapshot of my life at the time. :pirate

I don't like to use a handle. I prefer my name. I have run into trouble sometimes with dcarter and it being already used. I didn't even try it here. I use ellsworth when need be. It was my dad's middle name.

Used to be Lamrod's Wife taken from the line in "Hotrod Hotel" "The lamrods wife looks in their doors and finds one terrible sight.."

Even though I have always wondered if the line was mis-interpreted and it's supposed to be "landlords wife"

Everyone on the board thought I was a chick, so I changed it to Lamrod.

When I was signing up for a Yahoo mail account many years ago, I wanted an identity that didn't include any numbers, and I kept entering stuff hoping it would be available. Everything I tried was unavailable. I exhausted my ready supply of options and simply began making shit up.

I entered "cryptique" and it went through -- after thirty or forty unsuccessful attempts. It was only later that I discovered that "cryptique" is French for "cryptic" (at least that's what Babel Fish tells me).

For some reason I've stuck with the name ever since in a variety of arenas. Some stupid ouija board company beat me to cryptique.com, unfortunately, which I attempted to register about two days after they did. There are others who use the name elsewhere, but it's rare that I try to register it somewhere and it's already taken.

Guest Muncle Douchey

when my sister was pregnant, i was deemed "uncle douchey" for my excessive use of the term douchey. then one drunken night, when i told my friends i was going to be an uncle, i mistakenly said "muncle", and thus, Muncle Douchey.

Used to be Lamrod's Wife taken from the line in "Hotrod Hotel" "The lamrods wife looks in their doors and finds one terrible sight.."

Even though I have always wondered if the line was mis-interpreted and it's supposed to be "landlords wife"

Everyone on the board thought I was a chick, so I changed it to Lamrod.

I thought Lamrod's Wife was your wife! :lol

I suppose my name is pretty self-explanatory.

Copyright and all?

That's to keep other's from infringing upon me.

I suppose my name is pretty self-explanatory.

You have trouble walking?

when my sister was pregnant, i was deemed "uncle douchey" for my excessive use of the term douchey. then one drunken night, when i told my friends i was going to be an uncle, i mistakenly said "muncle", and thus, Muncle Douchey.

Anybody should have been able to figure that one out.

Ummmm.... :lol

Actually, I used to be ehirtens, which is my first initial and the first 7 letters of my last name, and not incidently was my first email address (with the domanin of course). Finally I just changed it to Edie.