How did you come by your VC Handle?

A small town in rural Costa Rica that I visited a number of times, and where I met some cool people. The Marin brothers are hewers of exotic hardwood.... artesanos... who crafted some pieces for me that I used in a DIY turntable and several tube amplifiers.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this in another recent thread, but ... I used my actual name (Brianne) on here for years before finally changing my display name a couple of weeks ago. The story is pretty simple. Quite a few friends call me "B" for short. A few years ago we were picking up a rental car that was located in the Preferred B lot. I decided that was my rap name. Aaaand now it's my VC handle, too.

"I'm this apple, this happening stone when I'm alone."

Those were the lyrics that stood out to me most at the time I registered at VC. Had I known I'd actually make friends with people in "real life", I would have used my first name. I'll change to that eventually, I suppose. I do still love that lyric, though.

Kinda obvious, I suppose. I know that A Shot in the Arm gets a lot of flack here since it's played live so much, but it's just a song that really brings up some really clear images for me. The first time I heard it, I could "see" it, and the ashtray is that first image in it. VC does the same thing for me. I know exactly what the cracked and hooked cups look like over the sink. And they do make me think...

It's my plain ol' standard user name for everything, which I made up back in 1996 or so. Poppy for my favorite flower; I have two of them tattooed on my left arm and was once given the scenario of how, when I'm old, it will work against me when I'm in a nursing home. Something about orderlies yelling, "Old lady Poppy's pooped herself again!"

Dawn is my middle name.

My cousin set up my blog right after my daughter was born. I couldn't be bothered to pick a domain name, so she used Poppymom. I wish she'd stuck with the original, but that's okay.

in the late 1980's, before it was a tv series, paul reubens was performing a live stage show called "pee-wee's playhouse." i worked in a video store when it came out on tape. it was in heavy in-store play rotation on the late night shift. one of the characters was named miss yvonne. edie mcclurg's character pronounced it miss y-von.

the clerks at work dubbed me miss y-von. i changed it to ms. y-von and it has stuck. for more than 20 years now. it's even on my business cards. :lol

It's from the Ryan Adams song.

One day back when I was a lurker I noticed a clock showing the time as 2:45 reflecting off a cd that was sitting on my desk. No joke. Come on, quarter to 3:00...reflecting off a cd? How could I not use that one as my name on a Wilco board?

I feel kinda slow for having never figured that out. :lol

in the late 1980's, before it was a tv series, paul reubens was performing a live stage show called "pee-wee's playhouse." i worked in a video store when it came out on tape. it was in heavy in-store play rotation on the late night shift. one of the characters was named miss yvonne. edie mcclurg's character pronounced it miss y-von.

the clerks at work dubbed me miss y-von. i changed it to ms. y-von and it has stuck. for more than 20 years now. it's even on my business cards. :lol

I watched that video a gazillion times in the 80s. I've always loved that that's your name!

"Captain Carl... did you wash your hands?"

"Nooo!!!"

:lol

i found it on dvd last year and had to see it again!

phil hartman! :wub

how do you propose we meet up tonight? will you have a cell on you? if so, pm your digits and we'll hook up.

UncleSmog has now become Lynch. Not that creative, I know, but I like it.

Short and punchy.

I might have gone with Frank, as in, "Shut up! It's Daddy, you shithead! Where's my bourbon? Can't you fucking remember anything?" :stunned

Back in my youthful days of youth. Way back before Wilco was born, I listened to a lot of blues. The use of the term hoodoo man intrigued me. A hoodoo man can be a practitioner of hoodoo/voodoo, an evil human or even Satan himself. The definition that fit me best was someone who brings bad luck. So I started calling myself the Hoodoo Man in one of my bands because I felt like my surname was far too Teutonic. I could easily be mistaken for a member of The Scorpions with my name. Anyway, light years later I discovered Wilco and subsequently the song "Hoodoo Voodoo". So my actual real nick name fit in with a Wilco message board. It was destiny. Or not.

I think I may change my handle to Thread Killer. I'm pretty good at that.

I chose 'tongue-tied' from IATTBYH because I didn't think I'd be saying much/posting frequently. I was off. I apologize to tongue-tied lightning for taking a similar name, but it was pretty cool when we both posted spongebob in the residency thread.

elfamous01.gif

I think I had eaten lunch there the first day I logged in here...I guess I just liked the idea of going by 'THE Famous'. I use it as my e-pen name on my blog now too.

You'll always be "Pizza King" to me. And "the guy who gave me the clap."

I was samorama on here since the beginning of VC time, which I picked as the domain name for my blog in 2001 when I moved to Chicago. I wanted something easy to remember. People have indeed remembered.

I didn't realize we had the ability to change our names, and have just been enamored with John C. Rilley's character from Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job. so yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0JPta0Z1_8