• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heifer dust...that is hilarious. I'll add that to my vernacular of shit talk.

She and Bill came off as pushy and desperate. After all, it is a PR campaign. I just don't see the gender bias here. What I think is more gender biased is the report that Obama dare not pick a different woman for VP, like Sebellius (KS). Don't know if that is true or not though.

I'd really love that ticket too because Richardson is the man, but I'm not sure if that's a winner as much as Obama/Edwards could be (mostly because Edwards can probably help convert some borderline red Southern states).

Richardson, I think, would make an excellent Secretary of State.

Agree. He has to get some of the southern states. And Richardson, good choice for cabinet...only if he grows the beard, though.

I'm really having a hard time picking out who I think would be the best Veep candidate for Obama. Hillary certainly brings a lot of supporters with her, but she also brings a lot of negative baggage, and I think as divisive as the primary campaign was, I just don't see it working.

Ideally I'd love to see Chris Dodd as VP, but he makes no sense from a strategic standpoint.

Joe Biden would be a very able candidate, however also doesn't have much to offer from a strategic standpoint, and would probably be a better fit as Secretary of State.

I love John Edwards, but I think he's a better choice for Attorney General, and though he's from the South, I don't think he really brings a lot of Southern voters along with him. And though Obama is a much stronger candidate than Kerry was in most ways, I still can't help but notice that Edwards didn't really provide Kerry much of a boost in an election that was Kerry's to lose.

Ed Rendell is attractive because he brings Pennsylvania along with him, but he was one of the harshest critics of Obama in the Clinton camp so it may be awkward working with him. Plus, I think Obama can carry PA without him.

Jim Webb brings excellent military credentials to rival McCain's, and is a whole lot more knowledgeable on foreign affairs than McCain is, and also comes from Virginia. He's too far to the right for me, but from a strategic standpoint he's great.

Bill Richardson is popular in the vital southwest, and could help to reach out to Hispanic voters. His knowledge and experience put him among the most qualified candidates out there, alongside Biden and Dodd. However, in the primary he showed himself to be a lazy campaigner and not have much voter appeal on a national level.

Kathleen Sebelius is popular in a swing state and could bring along some of the segment of Clinton supporters who really want to see a woman on the ticket. However, she does not yet have much of a national profile and I could see there being some controversy over putting a woman on the ticket who is less qualified than Clinton.

What other names are you guys hearing floated around?

Jim Webb seems to be getting some interesting grassroots support. I guess he's got the whole war/south thing going.

Also, completely off topic, I thought this was a great article on McCain in the New York Review of Books. Not sure if anyone here reads it, but Michael Tomasky (IMO) is the most important political writer around right now...

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21470

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Lesson 1: Have a plan for the whole race in case you don't win as soon as you think you will.

Lesson 2: Know your party's delegate rules. Caucuses are important.

Lesson 1 -- Good point. She didn't react quickly enough.

But with Lesson 2, she depended upon the competency of the Democratic party in Florida and Michigan. If they had stayed put with their primaries, rather than moving earlier in order to have a larger role in the primary, they would have broken up Obama's momentum and who knows where the race would have went.

But you're absolutely right, it's a race not a sprint.

Yes,

Lesson 1: Don't be an agressive, independent thinking woman. It's a boys club afterall.

Lesson 2: Don't run against a black man. You can drag a woman through the mud for being old, ugly, wearing pant suits, accuse her of being a lesbian, tell her to go back to the kitchen, belittle her for her private marital issues. But make sure you take no notice of the black voters that historically supported you (or her husband, rather) because you're obviously racist AND a woman).

Lesson 3: Don't speak confidently, say what you're going to do and give specifics. Instead, keep it vague, get others to hold the knives, and don't engage in meaningful debate.

Class dismissed.

her campaign didn't collapse because she's a woman - if anything it was the only thing keeping her in it for so long. she failed because of poor organization, bad management (picking loyal staffers rather than qualified ones), fundraising, and a few factors beyond her control (change being such an important issue, obama doing all the right things). i'm as big a feminist as they come, but come on.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Jim Webb seems to be getting some interesting grassroots support. I guess he's got the whole war/south thing going.

Jimmy Webb would be brilliant. He could write a campaign theme song!

... oh ... there's another one?