Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks

Im a big time Pavement suporter(all the records) Ive been listening to 5 tracks from the new jicks album, I have to get this ASAP.

Cold Son is as good as any Pavement track, and yes its jammy but Im really into the guitar workouts.

catch anyone elses ear?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still on the fence.

I didn't like the first 2 Malkmus albums but loved Face the Truth. This one is soooo guitary, which isn't really a bad thing. I think it's going to grow on me. I'll keep playing.

The LP has one of the best gatefolds I've seen.

:blink

I know, I know. I just haven't been able to stop playing this album since it leaked. I'm a big fan of the guitar indulgence. I know a lot of people are put off by his recent forays into AOR territory, but I say crank it dude! :pirate

Malkmus never fails to make rock guitar interesting. He pulls some serious Thelonious Monk on RET- guitar riffs mimicking vocal melodies before gradually fracturing and swerving off the asphalt into interesting jaunts through sonic backroads. The fuzz and feedback are like ranch dressing on your french fries. Fatness upon fatness. SM likes writing about oddball characters that sound like they could live in a cult comic book, but then he'll crank out "We Can't Help You", which has some of the most honest, anti-rock god lyrics he's ever penned.

The Jicks are a damn fine band. I thought Face The Truth sounded too much like a laptop project. I like rock bands- even if I feel like SM is secretly ripping off my own band sometimes...

Great album. I think it's the best since Crooked Rain ... possibly his best ever. Can't wait for the Easter Sunday show.

DUDE! It's really good, but c'mon.

S/T is still my fave solo. ET is closing fast though.

you going?

Yes! Really looking forward to it. Hoping the weather is kinder than the Residency shows.

See you there?

yep. I'll be there with Dr. Steve Brule (FKA: samorama)

Alright! See you there. Think folks will be lining up before 5?

Alright! See you there. Think folks will be lining up before 5?

I kinda doubt it. I have been wrong before though.

Tonight I was playing it in the store and this older dude who comes in and buys weird DVDs asked "where's the reefer, man?" which in my book is a good sign.

I kinda doubt it. I have been wrong before though.

Tonight I was playing it in the store and this older dude who comes in and buys weird DVDs asked "where's the reefer, man?" which in my book is a good sign.

wow. I wish that had happened when I was there!

I can't remember listening to 2 songs as much as I've listened to 3 & 4 over the last few weeks. Just great, great tunes.!!! Seeing them in Boston in a few weeks, and this is the most excited I've been to see a Malkmus show in years. Also really stoked to see Janet Weiss for the first time as a Jick!!! :dancing

Does anyone happen to have the show from the buyearlygetnow deal that they could share somehow? I did the deal, but am currently not able to convert flacs (damn computer)!

I do have the 2 b-sides if anyone's interested.