Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks

I kinda doubt it. I have been wrong before though.

Tonight I was playing it in the store and this older dude who comes in and buys weird DVDs asked "where's the reefer, man?" which in my book is a good sign.

Hey Sam.

Good. I'll be getting into town around that time and want to get a good spot.

Endorsement from an older dude who buys weird DVDs and says reefer . . . hmmmm. That is a good sign!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know. I just haven't been able to stop playing this album since it leaked. I'm a big fan of the guitar indulgence. I know a lot of people are put off by his recent forays into AOR territory, but I say crank it dude! :pirate

AOR is why i love this album. totally rocks with that warm production and phat guitar sound. it's produced much like the last two wilco records and the last loose fur. good stuff. don't know any of his other stuff, just heard about this in paste.

c

Just passed these on to a fellow board member, so I might as well post them here. The 2 Real Emotional Trash B-Sides from the pre-sale. Some of my favorite Pavement and Stephen songs ever were B-Sides (All My Friends, Harness Your Hopes, and Dynamic Calories come to mind immediately). I'm absolutely loving Walk Into The Mirror., Mr Jolly not as much (but I still loves me some pretty female backing vocals).

Walk Into The Mirror

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ovcf8a

Mr Jolly

http://www.sendspace.com/file/27157b

Craig, let me know if the link expires before you get to it.

I am listening to this album now for the first time... I am one of those weird dudes that just can't get into Pavement or Malkmus in general. Although I absolutely love him and his contributions to the Silver Jews. Soi disantra. Are the any other freaks like me?

Maybe this one will click for me...

There is actually a 2 page article/interview with him in Entertainment Weekly ( I don't subscribe, it just started getting sent to me one day. When I emailed them to say I never ordered it and wasn't going to pay I was thanked for my feedback, and my account was now paid through 2009 :unsure )

Loving the new album, and can't wait to see him in Indy next weekend, any VC'ers going?

Just passed these on to a fellow board member, so I might as well post them here. The 2 Real Emotional Trash B-Sides from the pre-sale. Some of my favorite Pavement and Stephen songs ever were B-Sides (All My Friends, Harness Your Hopes, and Dynamic Calories come to mind immediately). I'm absolutely loving Walk Into The Mirror., Mr Jolly not as much (but I still loves me some pretty female backing vocals).

Walk Into The Mirror

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ovcf8a

Mr Jolly

http://www.sendspace.com/file/27157b

Great stuff. Thanks for the links!

c :thumbup

I finally got the new album in the mail yesterday and it was totally worth the wait. There's not a single song on the album I'd skip over. Come to think of it, I don't think there's a song on any of Malkmus's solo discs I'd skip over. After four or five listens "Gardenia" might be one of my favorite Malkmus songs of all time. The lyrics are really incredible. The guy just has an amazing control of the English language. How great are the lyrics? This is the first verse, and it's not even the best verse of the song:

I kind of like the way you dot your j's

With giants circles of naivety

The kind of circles that include everything

I am listening to this album now for the first time... I am one of those weird dudes that just can't get into Pavement or Malkmus in general. Although I absolutely love him and his contributions to the Silver Jews. Soi disantra. Are the any other freaks like me?

Maybe this one will click for me...

No. Well, sorta. Pavement almost single-handedly introduced me to the world of indie rock, and for that I will probably forever buy anything that SM does. Even if I haven't really loved anything since Wowee Zowee. His solo albums have all been hit and miss for me. I'm giving the new one its first listen right now, and so far I think I like the sound of it better than any of the other SM records, but it is still not really clicking 100%. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

I dunno what Pavement albums you've tried to get into, but Crooked Rain is a pretty user-friendly place to start. If you can't get into the first couple Pavement records, the SM love probably isn't ever gonna really happen for you.

I dunno what Pavement albums you've tried to get into, but Crooked Rain is a pretty user-friendly place to start. If you can't get into the first couple Pavement records, the SM love probably isn't ever gonna really happen for you.

Thanks --

It's weird, I don't get it. I've stopped and started with Slanted & Enchanted on a few occasions and I can't get into it. I cant put my finger on what it is. I love his contributions to American Water. Why can't monsters get along with other monsters? So it's not even that I don't have the SM love.

I will try Crooked Rain. I have a feeling something just needs to click and when it does, all bets are off. That's what happened with me and GBV. Never really got em, until I got em. And once I got em it was all over. :)

was not very impressed with last nights show in Minneapolis...

Sometimes Malk is a little to slacker/shrug off for his own good, hopefully just an off night though. I just picked up tickets for me and my brother here in philly, who are not only anticipating the show, but the first nice spring day we can Throw on CRCR, and throw down some beers in the backyard! an annual tradition.

Sometimes Malk is a little to slacker/shrug off for his own good, hopefully just an off night though.

I've seen him twice (once in Charlottesville and once at the Black Cat in DC) and the shows were kind of hit and miss for me. I thought he was great in Charlottesville, but the Black Cat show didn't do a whole lot for me. I totally agree with your slacker assessment. He didn't seem to put a whole lot into the Black Cat show.