Val Air Ballroom

Guest Hollinger.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was front row center (ok there was one small girl in front of me, close enough)

Was it me?

I thought that it took a while for everyone to get into the groove of the show...but holy shit did the Being There quartet ROCK! I was also really glad to hear Summer Teeth, as I hadn't had the good fortune [5th time seeing them...] to have done that yet. Remember the Mountain Bed was gorgeous as well.

IMO, great setlist [Walken never gets old!].

Waiting in line from 2:30-ish on was quite a lot of fun with everybody around...it was nice to meet all of them! I finally have some good stories to tell people.

The 12 hours [total] of driving to see this show was more than worth it. I may have to cram for my exam tonight, but I'm much less stressed now than I was at this time two days ago. However, I'm fucking tired as hell...4 hours of sleep on the day of an exam is not great.

I hope the guys get a chance to recover before the Aussie tour...they were workin' it hXcz0rz!!!

:cheers !!

the request feature was great, i'm sure i was not the only guy to request Ashes, but that really was a perfect opener. i was straight out from jeff about 10-12 rows.

i made a comment in one of the boxes asking if the feature was their idea, if they were really using it so it was nice to hear Jeff explain their plan, he had some great moments last night. my favorite was the line saying something along the lines of "the first half of the set will be a bit introspective and the rock will be forthcoming."

being from des moines, it does remind me a lot of the last show at the val air, the guys like the venue and iowa in general. again, Jeff had great moment talking with the crowd about no one really liking our state but how the band loved the venue. i'm always blown away at the iowa city and des moines shows. also saw a taper who said it would be up by the end of the week, can't wait.

Does it still have that signage? That rules!

It did as of the last time Wilco played there, a couple of years ago.

The Val Air just flat-out rules, in all ways. A very cool place, great atmosphere for a show. Wish I could have been there for this one, too. :wave

Wish I could have been there for this one, too. :wave

Hi Maudie! :wave Pretty cool to see some old familiar faces here, on my first visit in a long long time.

Matt, I didn't see you at work today...

Yes, there were at least three tapers. Two of them are getting together tonight to start working on a nice matrix...

Guest Hollinger
Was it me?

Going by the pictures on your MySpace page, I'm going to say yes. I am the stupid bearded guy with the stupid glasses. Glad you enjoyed your brief stay in Iowa. Thanks for taking the cold weather back with you, though.

Hi Maudie! :wave Pretty cool to see some old familiar faces here, on my first visit in a long long time.

Matt, I didn't see you at work today...

Yes, there were at least three tapers. Two of them are getting together tonight to start working on a nice matrix...

Hey, long time no see! I'm bad about remembering names, but... Larry, right? :wave

I'll be keeping an eye out for that matrix. :dancing

Nice night at the Val Air. Huge crowd, nice set by John Doe, entertainment while in line.... Who knew Des Moines had so much to offer?

I had forgotten about the Ole, B! Thanks for the reminder. Maybe it's because my brain has already gone to bed for the night?

Hey, long time no see! I'm bad about remembering names, but... Larry, right? :wave

I'll be keeping an eye out for that matrix. :dancing

Yep, that's me. Been catching up on the boards and it's about like going back to your home town after years away. Although it's still really familiar you note some really sad changes (St. Gen's passing) and some less so (Maudie's changed her avatar, Sarah hates the Old 97s....)

I'll keep you posted on the matrix. My taper buddy still uses DAT, and occasionally his M1 doesn't behave. I think a part of that is that he's been reusing tapes for a lot of recording-- but he was using a fresh blank last night so that's in our favor.

Yep, that's me. Been catching up on the boards and it's about like going back to your home town after years away. Although it's still really familiar you note some really sad changes (St. Gen's passing) and some less so (Maudie's changed her avatar, Sarah hates the Old 97s....)

Yes, losing Natalie hit us all pretty hard.

In happier news, my avatar change is only for another week or so. And I don't know what to tell you about Sarah!

Good to see you back. :cheers

the request feature was great, i'm sure i was not the only guy to request Ashes, but that really was a perfect opener. i was straight out from jeff about 10-12 rows.

i made a comment in one of the boxes asking if the feature was their idea, if they were really using it so it was nice to hear Jeff explain their plan, he had some great moments last night. my favorite was the line saying something along the lines of "the first half of the set will be a bit introspective and the rock will be forthcoming."

being from des moines, it does remind me a lot of the last show at the val air, the guys like the venue and iowa in general. again, Jeff had great moment talking with the crowd about no one really liking our state but how the band loved the venue. i'm always blown away at the iowa city and des moines shows. also saw a taper who said it would be up by the end of the week, can't wait.

hey, im from des moines too. what did they say about it?

i heard him say i didn't know this many people lived here.

he said they loved the venue?

thats tight.

in all honesty though, val air isn't my place for concerts-- only wilco concerts.

and some less so (Maudie's changed her avatar, Sarah hates the Old 97s....)

:lol

i don't hate them. i just no longer have a respect for their music or for rhett.

people change...

anyway, that venue seems to be really nifty!

Wilco. The Val Air Ballroom. What a great time it was. This was the second time I've seen them. It was also the last night of the tours each time I saw them. Everyone was in great form. I had such a hard time focusing on any one of the members for too long a time. Trying to take it all in. What a great set they did as well. Impossible Germany was breathtakingly done. As were others. Hate It Here rocked! I saw the SNL performance the other night, but actually hearing it live was great! Love those riffs. Walken was also cool! Love the thrash jam that was thrown in. Stirat is my fav bassist at the moment. He is just so freekin' good and so laid back about it. I'm a bassist so he really had my eye quite a bit. Nels Cline is a blast to watch. Jeff Tweedy was awesome as well. Sometimes that froggy throat can actually bring you a few surprises as well. I hope Wilco, the Val Air and the last night of the tour becomes a tradition. I for one would like to make it 3 out of 3. :dancing

That Stones cover was really intense.

I drove up from Columbia, MO with my friend Rob (from England) and drove back all in the same night. It was quite a trip what with me having a midterm the next morning at 9am. All worth it for such a rocktastic explosion of explosiviosity.

I'd go to the Val Air for other shows. I enjoyed the fact that it wasn't packed to the gills and you could easily move around.

Anyone on here have photos from the other night? I'd really love to see some. I know people were taking photos but I didn't feel like taking my digital with me.