Val Air Ballroom

Guest Hollinger.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hollinger
Pictures that I've edited for consumption are here -- just keep clicking forward. I have more, but those are the best/the ones that best fit the concert writeup I did. :D

So I was scrolling through your pictures hoping and praying for a shot of Jeff/Nels back to back and when I hit it my first thought was "god damnit, who is the asshole who got his head in the frame" and then I was horrified as I realized "god damnit, that's my head." Leave it to me to screw up an awesome picture.

Finally compelled to register. This was my third show at the Val Air, and I considered myself fortunate that one of my favorite bands regularly makes a stop in Des Moines (wish it was the case more often).

Band was on fire, crowd was subdued, but appreciative, parking lot was not a muddy mess (first show I've seen there since they've paved it) and the set list was top notch. I was really thrilled to see them play California Stars & Outta Site (Outta Mind).

John, Mike, and Nels signed my title page -- I didn't have anything else with me with enough room on it, and you have to read SOMETHING while you're in line for hours! It's currently in a frame and on my desk at work.

Hollinger, I've just spent the last ten minutes laughing hysterically. :lol :lol Worst case scenario, I have Photoshop and you're easily cropped out, without any loss to the picture. I just resized those without any further work to them. You didn't screw it up! :D

By the way, Kara, I saw you in line, and I don't know why I didn't go say hello! I think I was frozen.

well, you were one step ahead of me, because i didn't even see you. :blush i have trouble getting to shows early these days, and then on sunday i was in some sort of weird, migraine-induced fog. i made some small talk with the people around me, but that's about all i could muster. and then after the show i left pretty quickly, mostly because we got reprimanded by a security guard for leaning our backs up against the railing by the stage. :rolleyes

next wilco show my goal is to go earlier, stay later, and actually talk to some VC people. if not i'm afraid that i'll eventually turn into anti-social, hermit-like person. plus hopefully next time i can talk michelle into coming! either way though, next time i officially have a date with you to exchange hellos in line. :yes

hi, paul!!! :wave

i saw you from a distance in line before the show, but i didn't say hi because i'm strangely shy like that.

hope iowa treated you well!

oh, kara...i thought i saw you as well, but it was freezing and i didn't make it over to see for sure. don't be strangely shy next time! sorry to hear you had trouble with security.

to be honest, i still think val air is a pretty cool place for a show

Finally got around to looking at my copy of the set list from the sound man...and someone may have mentioned it but they skipped Either Way (which would have been after Via Chicago and before Jesus, Etc.) as well as doing an additional 2 songs at the end that aren't even on the list :)

Finally got around to looking at my copy of the set list from the sound man...and someone may have mentioned it but they skipped Either Way (which would have been after Via Chicago and before Jesus, Etc.) as well as doing an additional 2 songs at the end that aren't even on the list :)

I can't complain about the set list because it was probably the best I will ever get from a Wilco show but I would have loved to hear Either Way again!

Yay! Thanks, Larry. :cheers And sorry I'm so bad about replying to PMs. :ermm

No problem. I was chalking it up to a trip down under with Wilco or St. Pat's. :thumbup

Everybody remember to thank Mark and Bryan in the comments section when you download it from etree or the Dime as, um, there could be another project in the works...

Have listened to this recording and have to admit that it doesn't sound like a soundboard matrix, the vocal seems too distant and there's not much depth. Anyone shed any light? Comparing it to the Residency matrix it doesn't stand up so well. Could it be a matrix of two aud recordings? Sounds like it, either that or the soundboard part is buried way too low in the mix.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...