Big Perm's Tourney Pick Em'!

I'm IN!

Rock Chalk!

I need two things explained:

1) What the hell does 'Rock Chalk Jayhawk' mean? Because to those of us not in the know, it sounds like the dumbest phrase in all of sports.

2) Why is the 'C' on the UCLA jerseys a different color this year?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) What the hell does 'Rock Chalk Jayhawk' mean? Because to those of us not in the know, it sounds like the dumbest phrase in all of sports.

Seriously, dude?

KU's world famous Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886. Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. Legend has it that troops used the chant when fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and in World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

Teddy. Fucking. Roosevelt.

Seriously, dude?

KU's world famous Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886. Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. Legend has it that troops used the chant when fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and in World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

Teddy. Fucking. Roosevelt.

Teddy Fucking Roosevelt was full of shit. It's the dumbest phrase in all of sports.

Teddy Fucking Roosevelt was full of shit. It's the dumbest phrase in all of sports.

34 fucking points is full of shit.

Michigan Wolverines

STARTERS M FG FT TR A PF PTS

D. Sims, F 34 2-10 2-2 8 2 0 6

M. Harris, G 34 1-12 1-2 3 0 3 4

A. Wright, F 32 4-10 0-1 3 0 1 11

E. Udoh, F 23 0-4 2-3 4 0 3 2

K. Grady, G 21 0-2 0-0 1 2 1 0

sweet game...enjoy the NIT

maybe.

sweet game...enjoy the NIT

I'd be surprised if they get an invite to the NIT. That's how bad they are.

Insulting the Michigan basketball team is not a way to make me mad.

And it doesn't change the fact that "rock chalk Jayhawk" is the dumbest phrase in all of sports.

Had Ohio State won the championship game last year I'd be $500 richer. It was my best bracket ever, but it was winner take all and I didn't get a dime for second.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with cryptique & mr. k on this one. :)

Just because there's history around it, doesn't mean it's not dumb. The story about it being the transposition of the name of a local landmark doesn't give it any more meaning. But if it works for you, go for it. I spent five years screaming "Wahoowa."