Big Perm's Tourney Pick Em'!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UConn and Clemson SCREWED me today. There goes one sweet 16 team and elite 8 team, respectively.

I lost a Final Four team behind that shit. :angry

Not in the VC pool, I think ... in my family one.

Nice choke job there, Clemson. Couldn't have happened to a better team. Except for maybe UNC.

Agreed. I actually had Nova winning that one. I screwed up on Vandy and UConn though.

I'll say it yet again:

Any day that Duke loses is a great day. :thumbup

Absolutely. :cheers I had WV winning that one in the brackets. :dancing

Back in the mid-nineties when I first started really caring about sports, WVU's m.o. was building huge first half leads against great teams like Camby's UMass, Iverson's Georgetown, Kerry Kittles and Nova, Artest and St. John's, and blowing it in the second half. We made the tournament once in the nineties, and ironically enough sent Bob Huggins home in the second round on a buzzer beating three-pointer by Jarrod West (they lost to Utah in the Sweet Sixteen).

In the beginning of the 00's, the program was really struggling. They didn't even play home games in Morgantown one year, as asbestos was found in the Coliseum (they had to travel three hours for home games). Cale Catlett resigned, Dan Dakich was our coach for about week until this super recruit Jonathan Hargett (who ended up not panning out) got arrested, Dakich saw the writing on the wall and bolted. But out of that mess we got John Belien, who probably saved our program. And Huggins, at least at the moment, appears to picking up where he left off. It's still hard to wrap my head around the fact that this team has made three sweet sixteens in the last four years. I remember being excited the years we made the NIT or even the Big East tournament.

I know Duke was down towards the end of the season, but seeing WVU dominate in the second half was one of the most satisfying experiences of sports fandom in my life. I certainly think they've got a great shot against Purdue or Xaiver in the next round, and if everything falls right and Kevin Love starts dating Jessica Simpson in the next week, we might even have a shot against UCLA. But I'm certainly satisfied with ending Duke's season and winding up in the Sweet Sixteen again, after all just six years ago no one even wanted to coach this team.

--Mike