Residency night 5 webcast up in the Roadcase!

For anybody who may have missed it, both the 2-20 and 3-5 webcasts are up at wilcoworld. I'm reliving night 5 all over again! :music

http://wilcoworld.net/roadcase/index.php

so any chance someone will rip this. ive been craving a sbd of night 5

I've already captured it. Now i just have to figure out a way to get it out there. This'll probably have to go up on the Owl & Bear.

:worship

nuff said.

TO&TB already has all five nights of the residency in their Wilco archive.

TO&TB already has all five nights of the residency in their Wilco archive.

Those are AUD shows - people seem to not be satifised with AUD shows. Although, two of them are FM sourced.

2/15/2008 Chicago, IL AUD Ademotte

2/15/2008 Chicago, IL AUD Skalinder

2/16/2008 Chicago, IL AUD Eaglebarger

2/16/2008 Chicago, IL AUD Skalinder

2/16/2008 Chicago, IL AUD thir13en blend [matrix]

2/18/2008 Chicago, IL AUD Dewey

2/18/2008 Chicago, IL AUD Eaglebarger

2/19/2008 Chicago, IL AUD Dewey

2/19/2008 Chicago, IL FM mono Antimudshark

2/19/2008 Chicago, IL FM stereo PoorPlaces

2/20/2008 Chicago, IL AUD Dewey

Also a general question for those who can explain such things:

Can a webcast being considered the same as a SBD?

I would imagine so - would it not have to go through the soundboard before it went through the Internet thingy?

Basically - I am trying to learn a bit about this:

In general, lossily compressed audio material is not permitted on DIME. There is a limited set of relaxations of that policy, as listed below.

Regardless of any provision on this page, the torrent must not be in violation of DIME's general policies for permitted torrents, of DIME's list of prohibited bands and artists, nor of DIME's list of prohibited venues and events.

Furthermore, the material must not have been available to collectors at a higher bit rate, and it must not be expected to become available to collectors at a higher bit rate. (Captures by two tapers

Basically - I am trying to learn a bit about this:

I think the 3rd paragraph about better available source is the key. A better source *could* become available if the sbd comes out, like the 2/16 matrix, but we certainly couldn't *expect* it to become available. And so, far as I can tell, a torrent of the stream would be legal for DIME on that count.

The other question would be whether torrenting it would discourage Roadcase updates in any way. Would the band feel differently about a stream vs a ripped and shared stream, etc. I dunno.

That said, I just finished capturing the Roadcast 20th stream with Audacity and breaking/exporting this into .wav files, minus the bit of intermission music and some starting applause. I can convert to FLAC and yousendit the individual files, but that'll obviously take a LONG time and other folks would probably need to re-upload 'em. (Let me see how many parts it might require to divide the FLAC's into 100MB chunks.)

(p.s. Oops. Upon further reading, it looks like we'd be out of luck for DIME since there's no way to verify the resolution of the stream -- right? But if anybody has an FTP for sharing amongst ourselves, I'm happy to upload ...)

The other question would be whether torrenting it would discourage Roadcase updates in any way. Would the band feel differently about a stream vs a ripped and shared stream, etc. I dunno.

That's a good point - I do recall someone from the Wilco website once saying something about not messing with the webcast- but I can't recall what the deal was.

I don't know why people can't just be happy with AUD and/or the occasional SBD tape - we are lucky that they allow taping to begin with - I would think.

I mean - they archive the stream for people to listen to - so that is something.

There is an FTP site - check the thread about it at the top of this section. Personally, I feel no need to mess with a webcast, but I think The Owl is alright with it - and it is his place - so why not ask him.

bt.etree puts it this way:

Upload FAQ

- What torrents do we accept?

We welcome *any* lossless, live, legal, audio torrent, given that it points to Trade-Friendly music.

NO VIDEOS! NO .MP3s! NO OFFICIAL RELEASES! NO STREAMING WEBCASTS!

I would strongly recommend not putting it up on dime, or any of the torrent sites for that matter. They would probably ban it and I don't think the band or their management would be too happy. However, I believe these should be archived in some way so that in the future fans could listen to them long after they are no longer in the roadcase. The only solutions i can think of are putting it up at the Owl & Bear. If i make mine available, I'll certainly include a request in the text file not to torrent it. That would be a bad idea.

btw Owl has let me put up other webcasts in the past.

I would strongly recommend not putting it up on dime, or any of the torrent sites for that matter. They would probably ban it and I don't think the band or their management would be too happy. However, I believe these should be archived in some way so that in the future fans could listen to them long after they are no longer in the roadcase. The only solutions i can think of are putting it up at the Owl & Bear. If i make mine available, I'll certainly include a request in the text file not to torrent it. That would be a bad idea.

btw Owl has let me put up other webcasts in the past.

Sounds smart to me. I'm happy for you to run with it, but if I can help, let me know. (And thanks! I know it does take a while to do one of these.)

These captured webcasts are really transcodes, no?

Streams are mostly"Shure Stream"@96 or 128 at best . No matter how you record it thru your soundcard(Wave settings etc )So Flacs made out of a webcast are always transcodes.This is from what Oink had to say about it:

Radio, television, web rips and podcasts are not allowed. It does not matter whether it's FM, direct satellite, internet or even if it's a pre-broadcast tape (too difficult for us to moderate such things). Radio does not have enough bandwidth to meet our 192kbps rule. Plus, anything on the radio has already been through several conversions/reencodes.

Quite a few items on Owl's excellent site are transcodes(like "A.M Demos")looks like better something than nothing to me but transcoding is only a waste of bandwidth to a lot of us.

2001207999227151239_rs.jpg