• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what he said. He said that what the manager does with his team on the field can change the outcome of 5-10 games a season, but the manager can also have an impact on the team in other ways, keeping emotions and energy focused in the right direction, which can make a greater (or lesser), though certainly not measurable, difference.

can someone just dredge up last year's discussion of this. I don't think i can go through it again.

What's all this nonsense that the first week of the season is meaningless, etc?

Meaningless is the wrong word. In my case, I'll just say that I don't have enough data yet to radically overturn my preseason expectations. Teams are streaky, particularly in the early-going, and we'll have to see what shakes out over the long haul.

The first week, however, has not been meaningless to me in the sense that I'm having a lot of fun with this baseball season already. :thumbup

can someone just dredge up last year's discussion of this. I don't think i can go through it again.

Go through it? Come on bobbler, it's a discussion and one that I think is a good one. I realize some folks don't enjoy picking apart/analysis as much as others but I'd like to think we could have arguable conversation (regardless if it's been discussed previously) around here in addition to the usually fluff of "go team!" stuff (which has it's place as well).

Cueto is sick. Not sure he can keep this up, but he's got filthy filthy stuff.

He does. Unfortunately for the Brewers, Gagne does not.

I saw on ESPN that Gagne has only 10 blown saves in his career coming into this season. It seemed to me like he blew 10 saves last year alone.

i do not have the math to back it up but suspect that dusty cost the cubs between 35-50 games a season.

I agree that Dusty is a terrible manager, but do you really think the 2006 team that went 66-96 (their worst record under Dusty) would have won over 100 games with a better manager? Would the 2004 team win minimum 124 games (which would be a record) with a better manager?

I agree that Dusty is a terrible manager, but do you really think the 2006 team that went 66-96 (their worst record under Dusty) would have won over 100 games with a better manager? Would the 2004 team win minimum 124 games (which would be a record) with a better manager?

no. not really. but to endure both the highs and lows with dusty is not something i am eager to do again anytime soon.

tough loss for me Reds last night

don't worry Johnny will be a Red for a loooooong time.

the brewers are fast out of the gate this year!

Although the Reds are looking good tonight 6 up and 6 down after 2

wow. i'm glad we decided to visit yeti rather than go to see this game!

You should add Hermida to your all cute player team. In fact, everyone should add him to every team possible. Because he's going to be an all star very soon.

Does pigsooie look like Ted Lilly? or vice versa?

come on rickey!

I have him sitting on two of the teams I have him on. Time to re-activate!

His second half last year was ridonkulous. I think it's entirely within the realm of possibility that he starts doing that yearly. He wasn't the top hitting prospect in baseball 3 years ago for nothing, and he's still just 24. So many (dumb) Marlins fans have written him off, it's incredible.

So many (dumb) Marlins fans have written him off, it's incredible.

Really? That seems myopic. He did have a blazing second half and he seems to hit pretty evenly from both sides of the plate. A decent arm, too.

Really? That seems myopic. He did have a blazing second half and he seems to hit pretty evenly from both sides of the plate. A decent arm, too.

He's a lefty, not a switch hitter, but I'm going to assume you meant he hits righties and lefties well. He's got a nice arm, but he sometimes has those mental lapses in the OF. He walked 111 times in one MiLB season, so he's got huge on base potential too.