• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice!

I got to watch Pujols hit a blast into the upper deck on Friday - and he hit it into the section where you get a free Big Mac the following day, but I didn't cash in on that one.

as bummed as I was to see the Cardinals lose today - it was a thrill to watch this young guy work. As Graham said....he's a stud. I am a fan.

340x.jpg

He is a lot of fun to watch, for sure.

Sundays are the best day of the week because there is day baseball. I think you all know by now I'm not much of a traditionalist, but baseball during the day is one of my favorite things ever.

That Hanley Ramirez guy is pretty good, and Scott Olsen is proving the whole 3rd year starting pitcher thing right. He's been brilliant so far, glad to see him get over his emotions and just pitch.

Nobody is that good pitching four straight days. Looking at his stats, he is not really that bad.

They threw him four days in a row? That is terrible pen management, and you are asking to have him blow up.

2403853863_e748c82493_b.jpg

All that remains of the Orange Bowl. I can't wait to tear that sucker down the rest of the way and get the Marlins a park.

Yeah - Valentine used to do the same thing with Armando Benitez back in the day, with similar results.

Wtf, Frank Thomas released. I wonder who'll pick him up.

I hope someone does. He's still too good a hitter to not be playing every day.

edit: He should get his old job back in Oakland. Jack Cust isn't getting it done this year.

Yeah, though he was slumping, the reason he was cut was because he complained about being benched, and the reason he was benched wasn't because of his slumping, it was so he wouldn't have enough at bats this year to trigger the clause in his contract automatically renewing him for $10mill next year.

They threw him four days in a row? That is terrible pen management, and you are asking to have him blow up.

Pen management is one of Ned Yost's greatest failings as an in-game manager... last year his pen decisions had me seeing red.

Gagne has not been good for the Brewers--three blown saves already!--but he hasn't been terrible, either. In 9 appearances, only two have been atrocious (opening day and today), and he actually looked very strong in the other blown save; it was just a single bad pitch that cost him.

That's one thing I love about Fredi Gonzalez, and it's the one thing that makes me think the Marlins might continue beating expectations for a while: He's an excellent manager of the pen.

Speaking of bullpen management:

"Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner told the New York Times in a phone interview that he wants setup man Joba Chamberlain moved into the starting rotation, saying, "I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him . . . you don't have a guy with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball and keep him as a setup guy. You just don't do that. You have to be an idiot to do that." . . . "

I kind of agree with Hank on that one. Yanks need another dominant starter to go along with Wang. Joba has more potential along those lines than Hughes or Kennedy. It is tempting, though, to groom Chamberlain as the next Rivera.