He was, and did not really set the world on fire as a starter.

He was given 25 starts as a 24 and 25 year old, that wasn't a big enough sample to prove one way or the other. but his ML peripheral stats are pretty much the same as his MiL ones, so I don't see why he couldn't have been a 4 ERA starter. That team has cost him many, many millions of dollars. If I was him, I'd be pissed.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was given 25 starts as a 24 and 25 year old, that wasn't a big enough sample to prove one way or the other. but his ML peripheral stats are pretty much the same as his MiL ones, so I don't see why he couldn't have been a 4 ERA starter. That team has cost him many, many millions of dollars. If I was him, I'd be pissed.

He is. You should see the look he gets on his face sometimes. I was in favor of making him a starter, but got overruled.

He is. You should see the look he gets on his face sometimes. I was in favor of making him a starter, but got overruled.

Yeah, that 4 era as a starter would be getting him about 10 million more than a 3.5 era as a reliever...

Does anyone think the "pitcher bats 8th" strategy will catch on? To me, this doesn't make sense if you look at the amount of at-bats the 8th and 9th positions will get over the course of a season. Don't you want your worst batter getting the least amount of at-bats?

Also - will relief pitching ever return to the old days of bringing in your best relief guy (who is most often the closer nowadays) when your starter is in a sticky situation? I'm assuming that most teams follow the order of 1. Starter 2. Relief 3. Set up 4. Closer, with the most talented pitchers being starters, and the closers being 2nd (in talent).

Hm?

Yeah, that 4 era as a starter would be getting him about 10 million more than a 3.5 era as a reliever...

He signed a 1.2 mil one-year deal in January. When he gets to be a free agent, we'll see what he gets.

Does anyone think the "pitcher bats 8th" strategy will catch on? To me, this doesn't make sense if you look at the amount of at-bats the 8th and 9th positions will get over the course of a season. Don't you want your worst batter getting the least amount of at-bats?

Also - will relief pitching ever return to the old days of bringing in your best relief guy (who is most often the closer nowadays) when your starter is in a sticky situation? I'm assuming that most teams follow the order of 1. Starter 2. Relief 3. Set up 4. Closer, with the most talented pitchers being starters, and the closers being 2nd (in talent).

Hm?

This is a totally sensible first post in a baseball thread, excellent work. I agree with both of these hypotheses.

Hm?

1. Maybe, depending on the pitcher. Good hitting pitchers I would consider batting 8th, but no others.

2. "Bullpen by committee" is still seen from time to time, but today's pitchers get insecure or something when they don't have a "defined" role.

I have to say I think the Marlins do a very good job managing the pen. Their best relievers are used when the situation is tightest, and Gregg's job as closer is very stress free, generally.

I think most teams would benefit from a bullpen ace model instead of relying so heavily on save situations. And I think a lot of guys would be happy with that role. If the closer is your best relief pitcher, which on most teams he is, he'd be of better use in certain tough situations earlier in the game. He should be used more frequently in tie games or games where you're down a run, and less frequently with a 3 run lead with one out in the 9th. Those are the situations where you really need your best guy. Anyone in your bullpen should be able to be relied upon to hold a 3 run lead for 1 inning.

It's absurd that Tiger Stadium remained standing as long as it did. It wasn't being maintained, and uses up a huge piece of land. But it still makes me sad to see it go. Lots of great memories there. I will have to go pay my last respects.

For those who are interested, today Uniwatch linked this collection of recent Tiger Stadium pictures. Apparently the city let a small group of photographers in within the last couple of weeks and there are a lot of great shots there. A lot of it looks just like I remember it, but there's also a lot of things crumbling, and some plants growing in seats.