Sure, but how will it look in the 2012 market? It may be way below market value by then.

?

Point being that it's par for the course for a player like him at his age right now. He probably could have gotten more had he waited for his contract to lapse but there's always the possibility of injury and or under performing by then.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, there's the possibility of injury or decline, but with his past performance and skill set, Cabrera is just about as sure a thing as you're going to find in major league baseball right now. Cabrera really doesn't have any more of a chance of injury than anyone else in the league, so what you are saying is you should never sign a player to a long term deal?

And I think if he's on the free market right now and teams are bidding for him, he signs for WAY more than 19 million a year.

Sure, there's the possibility of injury or decline, but with his past performance and skill set, Cabrera is just about as sure a thing as you're going to find in major league baseball right now. Cabrera really doesn't have any more of a chance of injury than anyone else in the league, so what you are saying is you should never sign a player to a long term deal?

And I think if he's on the free market right now and teams are bidding for him, he signs for WAY more than 19 million a year.

Not sure how you read that(bold) from any of my posts. I didn't even hint towards that.

While he's no more or less likely to be injured than any other player, I can see why Cabrera would want to ink a hefty deal now instead of waiting another year, is all. And, that it seemed a bit high but mostly in line with what a player like him commands these days. He could have waited and probably gotten more $ but I'd imagine variables such as injury and/or the going rate (possibly going down in a year) had an impact on him signing a long term contract now.

My point was just that at the rate that the market has been going in baseball over the last few years, even if it looks like they're overpaying right now, the market might be paying a player of his caliber $25mil/year by the middle of the contract, so from that perspective its a good deal for the Tigers.

My point was just that at the rate that the market has been going in baseball over the last few years, even if it looks like they're overpaying right now, the market might be paying a player of his caliber $25mil/year by the middle of the contract, so from that perspective its a good deal for the Tigers.

Or the market might correct/adjust itself, in which case it's a good deal for Cabrera. In either case, both sides are content right now.

Regular season, ESPN2:

3/25 6:05 AM BOS @ OAK

3/26 6:05 AM BOS @ OAK

You know what? This opening the regular season in Japan crap is stupid. The first pitch of the regular season ought to be thrown in Cincinnati, as God intended.

That doesn't make any sense for the Red Sox. Maybe it's just that I'm really sick and I haven't eaten in like a week, but my mind is having a lot of trouble figuring this out.

So tomorrow is a regular season game, though?

That doesn't make any sense for the Red Sox. Maybe it's just that I'm really sick and I haven't eaten in like a week, but my mind is having a lot of trouble figuring this out.

So tomorrow is a regular season game, though?

Yep. Two regular season games in Japan. Then exhibition games in L.A. It's a stupid plan so don't hurt your brain too badly trying to figure it out.

Yep. Two regular season games in Japan. Then exhibition games in L.A. It's a stupid plan so don't hurt your brain too badly trying to figure it out.

Apparently the Marlins and Yankees are playing 2 games in Dolphins stadium as an exhibition. Weird.

I do think that LA Colliseum game is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Would like to go.

This is great. From Deadspin.

Source: Canseco Accuses A-Rod Of Steroid Abuse, Wife Coveting, In New Book

In the next week, you're going to see more of Jose Canseco that you likely have much desire to see. But Canseco has a new book coming out April 1, Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and the Battle to Save Baseball, coming out just in time for opening day and promising to, once again, blow the lid off the steroid menace. Once again, he's naming names, and, according to a man named Joe Lavin, who bought a copy accidentally put on sale early at a Boston bookstore, those names are Roger Clemens, Magglio Ordonez and Alex Rodriguez.

This is Jose Canseco, of course, which means all accusations are based on personal animosity, surrounded in Canseco's typical shadiness ... and probably true. According to Levin's account of the book, Canseco wanted to include Clemens in Juiced, but his publishers said no. As for Ordonez, you might remember Maggs as the guy Canseco allegedly demanded invest in one of Jose's movies or else he would include him in his next book. (Apparently, he didn't invest in the movie.)

But A-Rod will be the real story, and even though everyone in baseball will ignore it because it's Canseco, well, as much as an idiot as Canseco is, the guy was the one guy who was right about this last time. We all know that past performance is no indicator of future results, but it's worth noting.

Here's what Lavin reports him saying about A-Rod:

"As for Alex Rodriguez, Canseco says he didn't inject Rodriguez, but that he "introduced Alex to a known supplier of steroids." Canseco didn't mention Rodriguez in the first book because he "hated the bastard." He was worried that people would have "questioned [his] motives" had he included Rodriguez.

Why all the hatred, you ask. Well, Canseco claims that A-Rod was trying to sleep with Canseco's wife. Apparently, even after Canseco had been nice enough to help A-Rod find a friendly steroids supplier, A-Rod kept calling Canseco's wife.

And, in case there's any further confusion about Canseco's true feelings, he ends the chapter by saying:

So A-Rod, if you're reading this book, and if I'm not getting through to you, let's get clear on one thing: I hate your fucking guts. "

So, yeah, everybody: Welcome back, baseball!