Wilco in designer clothes

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hasnt Ryan Adams dissed Tweedy like a million times. I think he wishes his songs were half as inventive/original. I have no reason to hate on Mr.Adams hes making positive music but the guy dosent have an original song in his entire catalouge. I mean if he wrote something as original as Sky Blue Sky I would be floored, no joke.

He should keep to dissing Bright Eyes at least their only slightly better. Wilco is past the horizian of Ryan Adams little world, joke.

I mean if he wrote something as original as Sky Blue Sky I would be floored, no joke.

Had you said Foxtrot or AGIB I would have maybe agreed. As it stands, I doubt many people would disagree that Sky Blue Sky isn't exactly the most "original" sounding record Wilco has ever crafted.

I've always asked this before: who lets this hack even pick up a guitar? seriously. he's not really even funny. after watching that, doesn't anyone find it ironic that he pretty much commented on himself?

edit: if that man is a genius, then Jim O'Rourke an individual who transcends time and space. please don't swing that label onto a man as wholly mediocre as Ryan Adams.

I've always asked this before: who lets this hack even pick up a guitar? seriously. he's not really even funny. after watching that, doesn't anyone find it ironic that he pretty much commented on himself?

edit: if that man is a genius, then Jim O'Rourke an individual who transcends time and space. please don't swing that label onto a man as wholly mediocre as Ryan Adams.

Ryan Adams is a wholly more talented song writer than O'Rourke.

Ryan Adams is a wholly more talented song writer than O'Rourke.

...sure. sorry, I know it's all subjective, but, seriously. seriously. I like a lot more people than JO, but that doesn't mean I think they're as talented as him. I imagine you're just trying to rile me, but I honestly don't think these two guys compare.

What makes anyone think anything but that one line was about Wilco? It's total nonsense, just a guy goofing around with his guitar and making up a song.

Talk about fucking hypersensitive.

I understand it wasn't. I'm just saying that this guy really is incredibly overrated.

JOR is a pretty great multi-instrumentalist, but I don't think he's very good as a song writer.

I guess I just disagree. If you want pretty typical alt country "insert lap steel here, piano here, organ here" sounding stuff, I guess, I just think from his own songs and his addition to other songs JOR knows more about writing and arranging a song than RA does. JOR in general just knows more and can do more if asked, where I just get the impression RA thinks that anytime he writes a song it's worth something by adding lyrics to it, whether or not he's exactly attatched to what he's doing. and I'm not saying that because of these dumb videos, I'm saying that because he has a history of unreleased mediocrity and records also full of the same.

I understand it wasn't. I'm just saying that this guy really is incredibly overrated.

I'm not saying that because of these dumb videos, I'm saying that because he has a history of unreleased mediocrity and records also full of the same.

wanna be friends

What makes anyone think anything but that one line was about Wilco? It's total nonsense, just a guy goofing around with his guitar and making up a song.

That's how I take it, too. Isn't RA referring to the writer who slammed him pretty hard a few years ago and there was that phone call RA left on the guy's answering machine responding to the guy's criticisms that was circulating for a bit? I may be way off on this though. Especially if the guy's name wasn't "John."

Either way, doesn't look/sound like a slam on Wilco at all to me. And even it were so what, right?

I think both JOR and Ryan Adams are both great songwriters in their own right.

I think Ryan is a better poppy country songwriter but it doesn't make him any less of an artist than Jim.

I also think that he was just goofing around in the video. Then again, if he in any way questions Tweedy's talent as a fantastic songwriter, I think he's a moron.

Then again, who gives a shit what I think?

I was suggesting the knee-jerk "OMG hes making fun of Wilco" people were being hypersensitive, not you. I don't agree with your feelings about Ryan Adams, but that's not the point I was making.

I guess I just disagree. If you want pretty typical alt country "insert lap steel here, piano here, organ here" sounding stuff, I guess, I just think from his own songs and his addition to other songs JOR knows more about writing and arranging a song than RA does. JOR in general just knows more and can do more if asked, where I just get the impression RA thinks that anytime he writes a song it's worth something by adding lyrics to it, whether or not he's exactly attatched to what he's doing.

I'll let you and Chomps fight this one out, but I'll say that I tend to agree with him more. I'm not interested in anything Jim O'Rourke's written, but I'm quite a fan of some of his work with other people's stuff. I like a lot of what Ryan Adams has put out, but he could probably stand to filter his output a little more. Completely disagree that his music is "pretty typical 'insert lap steel here, etc.'"

its ryan adams for christ sake, who cares

echo that. and to be honest, i like ryan adams. but don't we know enough by know to know not to get our panties in a bunch over stuff like this? if it was one of your buddies doing this when he was a bit tipsy on a saturday night he'd get a barrel of laughs, but just because of the wilco line everybody's all up in arms. come on, if anything he's just jealous...

That's how I take it, too. Isn't RA referring to the writer who slammed him pretty hard a few years ago and there was that phone call RA left on the guy's answering machine responding to the guy's criticisms that was circulating for a bit? I may be way off on this though. Especially if the guy's name wasn't "John."

that was jim derogatis. :punch