Wilco in designer clothes

So, they created a business model? What they did took balls and savvy, bonus points for them. But, Dylan actually made artists and possibly a few generations emulate him.

Your post mentioned influence and I thought artistically, not economics. Name one band artistically. Wilco is not that much of a trend setter, don't get me wrong, I like them quite a bit, but Dylan? Even Tweedy would laugh at that comparison. Dylan may be one of the most important artists of the last century, Wilco is a great band, not as good as you think they are, but definitely underrated by most of this country.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer
So, they created a business model? What they did took balls and savvy, bonus points for them. But, Dylan actually made artists and possibly a few generations emulate him.

Your post mentioned influence and I thought artistically, not economics. Name one band artistically. Wilco is not that much of a trend setter, don't get me wrong, I like them quite a bit, but Dylan? Even Tweedy would laugh at that comparison. Dylan may be one of the most important artists of the last century, Wilco is a great band, not as good as you think they are, but definitely underrated by most of this country.

I didn't make the Dylan comparison, and as my response should be clear to point out, I have not endorsed the Dylan comparison.

Why don't you go ahead and make the rant that you're saving for when the appropriate person responds to your question? It'll save us all some scrolling time.

I always find the influence question to be a bit ridiculous myself; I think that business models are actually one of the easiest and most direct ways to discern an artist's influence. Wilco's sound has been influenced by any number of bands an artists - many they sound nothing like. A lot of artists are influenced by artists who were influenced by Dylan, while they themselves did not have Dylan in mind when they created their sound. Are they influenced by Dylan, then? Josh Ritter absolutely loves Jim O'Rourke, and I can't think of a single Josh Ritter song that sounds anything like JOR. Going by Ryan Adams' public displays, he actions are often motivated by a perceived competition between himself and Wilco, though they haven't sounded alike for quite some time. One of the members of Deerhoof remarked that he was very moved by Wilco when opening for them - Deerhoof sounds nothing like Wilco, but are still influenced by them.

So, what is the point you're hoping to make after someone tries to answer your question?

first off, I don't like scrolling, I have message board ADD.

My point, and it was directed at the Dylan post, Wilco does not have much influence over "modern" bands and the like. That's all, sound alike or anything else. Do some bands or artists "like" Wilco? Sure, but I don't see an overwhelming movement. An opening bands statement shouldn't be taken too seriously, I mean, come on, they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.

Ryan Adams and Jeff Tweedy HAVE to collaborate sometime.

I get it ... some people here (a Wilco message board) will undoubtedly hate Ryan Adams, but he is a genius. It's the same thing, just reversed over at ryanadamsarchive.com.

Nonetheless, I think they are too talented to ignore each other. They both pioneered the genre of alt-country (though this genre might not even exist), they are both known to be tough to work with(though they both have become much more mild recently), and both are constantly compared to each other.

Ryan Adams is more of a minimalist. His closest thing to "Yankee Hotel" is "Love Is Hell" and that is a stretch. He sort of under-produces his albums whereas Wilco over-produces them. Neither of which is meant to be an insult. Being as objective as possible, Adams has a superior overall voice, Tweedy is the more capable lyricist, and they come pretty close on guitar skills. This is partly why I think they should do something together.

wow. i knew something must have gone pathetically wrong when a silly video post caused 50+ comments.

i love how the video immediately turned this into an "i don't like ryan" and "ryan is making fun of wilco" thread

which he wasn't. at all. it really is just a silly improvised song. not a dig on wilco or anyone.

and i personally don't think he's "overrated", listen to Cold Roses and Jacksonville City Nights and you'll hear a disciplined and great songwriter.

this is just him fooling around, big deal.

it's really stupid when threads get dumb like this one did for a second there. everyone here is smart enough and musically inclined enough to know better.

at least i hope you all are.

question is: what is this thread even doing in 'Just A Fan'?

it has nothing to do with Wilco's music.

"Wilcos records have been culturally important and have influenced many modern records and bands."

Name one.

I found this entire thread a waste of time until this comment.

Wilco has influenced many modern bands and albums.

For instance:

-The National cites Wilco as one of their main influences and they created one of the best records of 2007.

-Phonograph, an up and coming band, has been heavily influenced by the mixture of americana and studio experimentation that Wilco played with on YHF.

-Kevin Devine regularly covers Misunderstood.

-Members of the band Guster have applauded Wilco's records a lot over the years.

Wilco is a pretty important band, I would say. They've influenced the work of a lot of other artists out there.

Ryan Adams and Jeff Tweedy HAVE to collaborate sometime.

I get it ... some people here (a Wilco message board) will undoubtedly hate Ryan Adams, but he is a genius. It's the same thing, just reversed over at ryanadamsarchive.com.

its one thing to throw the term "genius" around when talking about jeff, dylan, etc. but fucking ryan adams, c'mon, thats just ridiculous

ok, i'm going to come clean hear and set myself up.

I like Ryan Adams (alot)

I loved Whiskeytown (alot)

I also loved Son Volt (not new recorganized Son Volt, but the real deal back in the day)

In fact I at times struggled with who I liked more Wilco or Son Volt (Wilco has won)

I guess I've never took sides in this big mess. Ryan Adams can be funny and can be an ass, I'm sure that goes for mr. Tweedy, Mr. Farrar (funny?) and myself and all of us. Now be nice ya'll.

is that all you do? you really need a new thing

No seriously, without you and your wisdom I would have kept Ryan on my genius pedestal, I thank you for my freedom.

wow. i knew something must have gone pathetically wrong when a silly video post caused 50+ comments.

i love how the video immediately turned this into an "i don't like ryan" and "ryan is making fun of wilco" thread

which he wasn't. at all. it really is just a silly improvised song. not a dig on wilco or anyone.

and i personally don't think he's "overrated", listen to Cold Roses and Jacksonville City Nights and you'll hear a disciplined and great songwriter.

this is just him fooling around, big deal.

it's really stupid when threads get dumb like this one did for a second there. everyone here is smart enough and musically inclined enough to know better.

at least i hope you all are.

question is: what is this thread even doing in 'Just A Fan'?

it has nothing to do with Wilco's music.

C'mon man. So what if there are 50 + comments. This thread'll end up as another colossal beast because Ryan Adams is involved. Hot topic, and all.

But, I think there's only one, maybe two people that are taking more out of the video than what it is. Certainly not the main thought process here for the collective mind.

And not for nothing, but you voice your opinion about RA not being "overrated" just like others are voicing their thoughts on RA. What's the difference?

And, in the time it took you to read this Ryan Adams has put out 2 more goofy videos and another album.

Forgive me for not being incredibly adept with search functions, I'm relatively new to actually posting to forums .... but I kinda like you guys and I really dig this band.

I'm relatively new to Wilco, friends had been trying to get me to listen to them for years, but for some reason Sky Blue Sky really stuck with me and caused me to get into EVERYTHING they've ever done.

Anyhow, I'm a bit of Ryan Adams fan since I like Cold Roses so damn much. Follow the Lights is pretty good. Most of his other stuff .... I guess I'm waiting for it to sink in. I like 29 too.

I guess my question as a newbie to the discussion is what articles/interviews have Tweedy and Adams taken jabs at each other's work?

I read an interview with RA that he gave around the time of his release of Heartbreaker where he said that he thought he was a much better songwriter than JT. As a matter of factual basis I don't really mind him saying that, since at the time, I think on AM would have come out by then (as well as the Uncle Tupelo stuff). I really think BT was where Tweedy pole-vaulted himself past the pack in terms of songwriting. I guess my problem with RA is that he would bother to say such a thing in the first place.

Rank ordering who is better as an artist is something critics and fans do. Whether or not they should do it is open to interpretation. But having someone as an artist come out and say that they are a better songwriter than anyone is strange to me.

But then again, I completely agree with the opinion that Ryan should be a bit more of an editor to his own material, he seems to put out just about anything he dreams up in the shower.

I guess I'm looking more for things that Jeff has said about Mr. Adams and his material. It certainly wouldn't shock me if he has said anything scathing, but I would still be surprised a bit.

what percentage of your 7000 some posts have you devoted to trying to be witty and acting like a douche bag?

97.354%

its one thing to throw the term "genius" around when talking about jeff, dylan, etc. but fucking ryan adams, c'mon, thats just ridiculous

What percentage of your 743 posts have you devoted to being smug, condescending and acting like a douche bag?

I tried searching and couldn't find it, but if someone here could post up the old "Adams/Tweedy Celebrity Death Match" from a couple of years back I sure would appreciate it.

I found this entire thread a waste of time until this comment.

Wilco has influenced many modern bands and albums.

For instance:

-The National cites Wilco as one of their main influences and they created one of the best records of 2007.

-Phonograph, an up and coming band, has been heavily influenced by the mixture of americana and studio experimentation that Wilco played with on YHF.

-Kevin Devine regularly covers Misunderstood.

-Members of the band Guster have applauded Wilco's records a lot over the years.

Wilco is a pretty important band, I would say. They've influenced the work of a lot of other artists out there.

Please, they are not major trend setters. "Many modern bands" was the quote, your response was a skeleton crew of artists, although you get points for the National.

Once again, great band, I like them quite a bit, but the environment here obviously makes them more than what they truly are.

Please, they are not major trend setters. "Many modern bands" was the quote, your response was a skeleton crew of artists, although you get points for the National.

Once again, great band, I like them quite a bit, but the environment here obviously makes them more than what they truly are.

How do you know so much?