One-hit wonders

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Country?

Another example of big in the U.K. but not here.

"Fields of Fire" didn't quite crack the top 40 in the U.S., though I remember hearing it on the radio quite a bit (and I think there was a video for it).

The poster child for one hit wonders has to be The Knack's My Sharona. I mean, those guys were supposed to be bigger than The Beatles. It was nuts. For about a month, anyway...

"Good Girls Don't" hit #11 in the U.S.

Uh yea..definitely.

Why the snark, Lou?

Assuming "Margaritaville" to be the hit he's also got a few others:

"Cheeseburger in Paradise"

"Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes"

"Why Don't We get Drunk"

"Come Monday"

Buffett actually had a fairly okay run of albums going on prior to his one hit. The fact that he built an empire off the success of that one song while never releasing a decent album again is what is amazing.

For my one hit wonder, I'm gonna go with Primitive Radio Gods' "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand". I heard that on the radio the other day for the first time in about a decade.

Why the snark, Lou?

Assuming "Margaritaville" to be the hit he's also got a few others:

"Cheeseburger in Paradise"

"Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes"

"Why Don't We get Drunk"

"Come Monday"

I wonder whatever happened with this deal:

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Jimmy Buffett busted with 100 ecstasy pills

Singer Jimmy Buffett was detained by French customs officers earlier this week, after they reportedly found 100 ecstasy tablets in his luggage.

The Grammy winner arrived at Toulon-Hyeres International Airport in the south of France in a private jet on his way to holiday in St Tropez when the discovery was made.

Buffett was fined $380 and was released without charge, according to PageSix.com.

But a spokesperson for the singer insists the tablets were prescribed medication rather than ecstasy: "It was medicine prescribed by his doctor."

But the representative refuses to divulge the nature of the medication or any medical conditions the 59-year-old may be suffering from.

For my one hit wonder, I'm gonna go with Primitive Radio Gods' "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand". I heard that on the radio the other day for the first time in about a decade.

Wasn't that the one that sampled Bo Diddley?

I was just now thinking about that song because of this thread. You beat me to it. :cheers

Those dudes look like the way dudes looked when I was a kid.

Those dudes looked like I did when I was young and full of hope.