I gave an earlier version of Safari for windows a try. Didn't really do much for me. I am a diehard Firefox user, so I am sticking with that. With Firefox's add-ons and speed I am set.

Most of the things that bother me about it are things I grew to love in Firefox but are missing in Safari ... like the customizable search field. It looks like Safari gives you two choices: Google or Yahoo. I want stuff like AllMusic, Amazon, Dictionary.com, IMDb, and Wikipedia.

Also, I haven't found a "Home" button anywhere. Yeah, CTRL+SHIFT+H works, but I click back to my home page a lot and I'm accustomed to using a toolbar button for that. Not a big deal, but it's one example of how limited the browser is in terms of customization. Apple thinks it knows better than you how your browser should be configured.

I do like the overall look, but there are themes for Firefox that can largely recreate that.

Apple thinks it knows better than you how your browser should be configured.

You dare question the judgement of the Almighty Apple?

Someday soon, puny human, you will see the error of your ways and realize that you have just been doing it wrong. Assimilate or die!

I am trying out Opera, it is working extremely well. According to my friend who uses Firefox (with Fasterfox) and Opera, Opera is a tad faster than Fire+fasterfox and more secure. The Speed Dial function is a godsend.

I tried Safari but the instant I saw that the interface was how it is on a Mac I said "No." It also seemed slower than other browsers out ther.

Also, I haven't found a "Home" button anywhere. Yeah, CTRL+SHIFT+H works, but I click back to my home page a lot and I'm accustomed to using a toolbar button for that.

Hmm, I don't know the differences between the mac os and windows version, but for me if you go to "View" -> "Customize Toolbar...", it will give you buttons you can drag into the toolbar, including a home button.

Thanks, that works. It limits the number of buttons you can have, though, which is retarded. That address bar is mighty big ... not sure why they don't allow me to shrink it a bit to make room for one more button.

I am trying out Opera, it is working extremely well. According to my friend who uses Firefox (with Fasterfox) and Opera, Opera is a tad faster than Fire+fasterfox and more secure. The Speed Dial function is a godsend.

I've been using Opera for a while now and love it. Couldn't imagine switching to any other browser.

Just got an apple update for windows and it now it includes safari with itunes updates.

That's another good reason not to update my iTunes, then.

With as frequently as there are iTunes updates, I expect it to eventually include a program that will feed my cat and reorganize my sock drawer while I'm at work.

I love Firefox, and it's good to hear there's a new version coming out soon. There's still a few sites that I have trouble with when I'm on it, though. Netflix, for instance, only offers their instant viewing feature in IE. That's about the only reason I use IE anymore.

• 11 months later...

So I downloaded the Safari 4 beta (for Windows), and it's got some nice features.

I'm still not going to switch from Firefox, but I like the way the new Safari deals with tabs (especially the way you can drag them out into their own windows), and the "top sites" feature is spiffy, though I doubt I'd use it all that much.

Some of my complaints with Safari 3 are still in effect, such as the search box, which limits you to Google and Yahoo.

If nothing else, this version suggests that they've thrown some effort into Safari development lately, so I'll keep an eye on it -- but I remain a Firefox fan, despite the occasional crashing I've endured recently.

So I downloaded the Safari 4 beta (for Windows), and it's got some nice features.

I'm still not going to switch from Firefox, but I like the way the new Safari deals with tabs (especially the way you can drag them out into their own windows), and the "top sites" feature is spiffy, though I doubt I'd use it all that much.

Some of my complaints with Safari 3 are still in effect, such as the search box, which limits you to Google and Yahoo.

If nothing else, this version suggests that they've thrown some effort into Safari development lately, so I'll keep an eye on it -- but I remain a Firefox fan, despite the occasional crashing I've endured recently.

I think there is a plugin that allows you to customize the search box to certain websites...I can't remember if I'm making that up or not, but I'm pretty sure that the capability is out there. The biggest thing that I'm a fan of that Safari has going for it is the search feature. It's just downright cool.

Now that I read all of these I ask this question: As a Mac user should I be using Firefox instead of Safari?

I use both and enjoy both. If safari is working fine for you and you are used to it, it ain't no thang.