Letters To Santa Living Room Show April 5, 2008

I don't see how anyone could wear those - unless you worked with horses. I wear boots everyday - but I would never wear cowboy boots.

Woud you wear a Nudie suit? That's the question.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I ever went to one of these deals - I would ask the old man to play Fatal Wound.

I totally support this statement. That would be right at the top of my list.

just got back to LA...man oh man do i miss chicago. wish i would have had more time :(

i'm not sure where to begin. this whole weekend was just too much fun, and i'm so glad to have been a part of it. i loved seeing/meeting everyone--we really are a great group of people (you can either take that "we" as viachicagoans, or even wilco fans in general) and i feel so lucky to have found you all. while i have so much respect and gratitude for jeff for doing this not just once but three times every year, the 30 people in the audience really make this gig what it is. thanks for being so wonderful

jeff and sue, thanks as always for being such incredible people and giving your time to do this. you make a big difference in a lot of people's lives (both the families on the receiving end of our donations, and the people you met last night) sorry we kept you so late!

my highlights from the show are scattered in the thread already from other posters, and im still kind of processing everything, so i'll spare you a long review for now...

i'm working on photos, they need a lot of editing though so its kind of a slow process..we'll see if i can get something up tonight

:lol I don't think he would, though. Edie tried to talk him into going to Alcala's (notorious western wear store in Chicago) to get a pair of red cowboy boots to go with his Nudie suit, and he pretty much balked.

Apparently he missed my earlier post when I suggested these

bru_half_1.jpg

NOT highly stitched, elaborate cowboy boots, rather just the right foil for his particular Nudie suit IMHO. Elaborate boots would be all wrong, and would clash with the suit. These look pretty comfortable and add a just dash of complementary color and is all that's needed.

I'm out of the fashion business as of right this second though :lol

Another funny moment was after Jeff's impersonations of Glenn, Pat, and Nels, it somehow led to him making the comment, "We're going to break Wilco up tonight!" Everyone laughed, and as the laughter subsided, Tweedling said through the tail end of his laugh, "That's not funny." The timing was classic.

John got a little ribbing too - Jeff mussed up his hair, Glenn was called out for being a sound geek, Sansone a Guitar Hero kick, Nels doing his guitar solo body-gasms.

Also joked about bringing the band in for an electric Spiders versus the acoustic version - "Should I call the guys up? I've got them on speed dial."

Just dropped Elizabeth off at O'Hare where we saw Jamie Lee Curtis making a trip to the women's bathroom, then later she reported seeing Trace Adkins coming off a plane near her gate. Jeff's celeb karma apparently rubbed off on us or something!

hey!

so whats going on here? Erins living room?

There is an audio torrent i downloaded a long time ago, and it sounded like a very personal acoustic show. Everyone took turns requesting songs. Also, at one point during the show Jeff talked about the charity deal at hand and showed much appreciation for it. Is this the same charity deal just second time around? How did something like this come to be? This all seems really awesome.

hey!

so whats going on here? Erins living room?

There is an audio torrent i downloaded a long time ago, and it sounded like a very personal acoustic show. Everyone took turns requesting songs. Also, at one point during the show Jeff talked about the charity deal at hand and showed much appreciation for it. Is this the same charity deal just second time around? How did something like this come to be? This all seems really awesome.

try this thread for some answers -- http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?sho...82&hl=santa

Auction Items Announced for Letters to Santa Benefit!

letters_santa_2007.jpg

Just getting back :stunned

So much to tell! - Thanks to everyone for making this such a special experience. :worship

The stories so far have been a joy to read and I'd like to add one myself, but my pillow calls......

If we are lucky, Tweedling will post his shots of what was inside these. :pray

100_1869.jpg

You spend your life growing up and listening to music. Standing in front of mirrors using a hairbrush as a mic. Using Dad's tennis racket as a guitar. Imagining what it would be like to be on stage with the musicians that affirm life for you. And then, in a suburb somewhere north of O'Hare in Chicago, 25 years after you first put a tonearm down on a record, a childhood dream comes true.

I've sat with my guitar and played and sang Someone Else's Song about 1500 times on my couch at home over the past few years. Last night I accompanied Jeff as he played it. I let him take the vocals. :)

A quick fist bump from Jeff before we got started, and a little bit of a mixup on capo placement, but then we were off. No words can describe what it felt like to stand next to him with a guitar in my hands. When he sang the opening words, I heard those words like I've never heard them before. Not through the mic/amp as I've heard it so many times before. But as a musician standing next to him on a stage. His voice startled me with its power. I can't describe it any other way. I kept focused though (somehow) because I knew this was being recorded. I tried to soak in as much of the moment as possible. One slight glitch at the end of the song that I dont know if anyone else noticed, and then the song ended, followed by (and maybe it was in my mind) an eruption of cheers that startled me back into reality. A quick gratuitous bow, another fist bump and quick hug with Jeff, and then me and my trusty guitar headed back to my seat. I don't remember if my feet touched the ground on the way back.

I can't thank everyone enough -- Erin and the Colemans for hosting, Wendy/Edie for pulling this off, John and Jenny, Skyflynn/Kevin and Amy, Jules and Jenna, Neil, Tweedling, Warner, and everyone else -- too many to mention -- whose kind words and encouragement gave me the guts to ask Jeff if he wouldn't mind a partner for Someone Else's Song. Thanks to John and Melissa and Brian for the beautiful souvenirs. I hope I am getting everyone's names right. Last night was a whirlwind. Of course, thanks to my wonderful wife, who promised me that I could pull it off. And who was probably as nervous as I was while she snapped pics and tried to get some video on our camera. :lol

I will post something soon about the rest of the night (sorry to be so narcissistic :) ). We had a long trip back and I need to go take a nap. But while I am still on a high, I wanted to get as much down about that moment last night as possible. I am desperately trying to hang on to every second, every moment. I don't want any of it to fade.

Thanks Sue. Thanks Jeff.

--Matt

Beautifully stated, and FWIW, I have a feeling these memories won't leave you anytime soon.

This will not be worded well.

Nevertheless, boundless gratitude to the Tweedys for performing, (both of them, Sue may not sing or play but she definitely performs), The Colemans for hosting, Wendy and Edie for organizing, John, Melissa, and Brian for their art, Warner for his engineering, and Neil, Matt, and Erin for accompaniment. Thanks as well to everyone for making Amy feel so welcome.

This experience was marred for me only by the absence of about 50 other people from this place I wish could have been there and particularly those who had to drop out at the last minute due to emergency. You were missed. I'm looking at you, Jen. :cheekkiss

For everyone who was there and everyone who wanted to be but couldn't, I can't tell you how much I miss you already and look forward to seeing you again. :wub

> Good Lord, maybe it's a good thing I wasn't there (" So you're MB, eh?").

nearly been there and done that :lol

> Me babbling incoherently:

we can tell by the look on jeff's face!

sounds like it was a great night for all of you!

Sounds like it was an unforgettable night indeed. Maybe someday I'll get to make one of these shows :pray .. For now, I'll just have to enjoy the pics and look forward to the audio. Vibes to all who supported the charity. I'm sure Jeff, Sue and everyone else involved made it well worth it. :)

lmao maybe we should take to wearing our VC names on nametags at their shows. We could save time that way. We could start a VC name tag business...

Perhaps a VC jersey with your name on the back?

What color?

But what sport would you emmulate with the jersey?

soccer?

American Football ( I don't belive in touchdowns)?

baseball (High heat)?

Maybe swimming...Speedo

..or not.

Stupid?

Yeah...It's me

:P :monkey

Perhaps a VC jersey with your name on the back?

What color?

But what sport would you emmulate with the jersey?

soccer?

American Football ( I don't belive in touchdowns)?

baseball (High heat)?

Maybe swimming...Speedo

..or not.

Stupid?

Yeah...It's me

:P :monkey

i'm thinking the official uniform could be Nudie Suits. :stunned