"Let's Not Get Carried Away" and "Lets Hear It For Rock and Roll"

Is Lets Hear It For Rock and Roll an early version of Let's Not Get Carried Away? They were introduced over 10 years apart (one was on the A.M. Demos and the other was a bonus song on SBS). They seem pretty similar to me.

yeah, either that or they just thought it'd be funny to throw that obscure riff in there as the basis for that song as sort of a tongue in cheek thing

Obviously, Jeff's writing process leads him to listen to old tapes full of old ideas and demos and refine them. We know for sure that at least LNGCA (Let's Hear it for r'n'r), Sky Blue Sky (Lullabies for rafters and beams) and Ruling Class (All my Life) have been written this way in recent years. I'm not sure it is reassuring to know he tends to rely more and more on older stuff rather than writing completely new material

Obviously, Jeff's writing process leads him to listen to old tapes full of old ideas and demos and refine them. We know for sure that at least LNGCA (Let's Hear it for r'n'r), Sky Blue Sky (Lullabies for rafters and beams) and Ruling Class (All my Life) have been written this way in recent years. I'm not sure it is reassuring to know he tends to rely more and more on older stuff rather than writing completely new material
I think it's rather common for an artist to reflect on previous work for jumping off points. Sometimes it results in some really, really good material. Springsteen has done this quite a lot in the past fifteen years, with some amazing results.

True. Sky Blue Sky and Ruling Class are amazing songs, too. I just hope this process is not a sign of diminishing inspiration but, on the contrary, like in Springsteen's case, the sign that Jeff now masters his craft even better than before.

how about 'chinese apple' and 'heavy metal drummer?'

i think those are entirely different songs. jeff acknowledged that he "recycles" lyrics (ie. "down by the old mainstream," and "impossible germany, unlikely japan"). i once knew like 4 or 5 examples, but i can't remember them now.

i think those are entirely different songs. jeff acknowledged that he "recycles" lyrics (ie. "down by the old mainstream," and "impossible germany, unlikely japan"). i once knew like 4 or 5 examples, but i can't remember them now.

I'm not familiar with the recycled nature of "impossible germany, unlikely japan". Can you fill me in?

I'm not familiar with the recycled nature of "impossible germany, unlikely japan". Can you fill me in?

i think it was a line from a poem in his book "adult head." i returned it to the library, but i think the title was "unlikely japan." i guess this might not count since it wasn't a song, but it still shows he keeps cool phrases/lines for awhile.

also "american aquarium peeping tom" was used in in an early version "radio cure." i know there's at least a few more.

I think this has been significant as a transition , along with the return of older material live. It is as if it's the duty of this band(lineup) to play these songs.

Its like a new band that enharits 6 albums of material. Its very exiting for me as a fan to be witnessing this.

In my opinion Jeff has been very smart to do what he has done with the band transition wise.

I thought Sky Blue Sky was a brilliant statement(which is where most of my love for it comes from) to settle in the way they have

to conquere the live stage the way they have gives them the pedigree to shoot off to the moon with the next record"the sky is the limit" I love that saying.

• 2 weeks later...
Is Lets Hear It For Rock and Roll an early version of Let's Not Get Carried Away? They were introduced over 10 years apart (one was on the A.M. Demos and the other was a bonus song on SBS). They seem pretty similar to me.

I think so