Wait...

There's new James record?!?!

Your news makes me VERY happy!

I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing it!

There are streaming samples here:

http://www.wearejames.com/hey-ma

Pretty generous 1:30 or so clips, so you can really get a good idea.

And, it sounds really good -- like they never left.

I cheated and downloaded it :blush (will be buying it next weekend in Minneapolis, the local record stores leave much to be desired).

So far I really, really like it. It sounds like vintage James i.e. "Seven" and "Laid". Some standout gems at the first listen already, and a solid sounding album from start to finish. Tim Booth's great voice, Larry Gott's guitar work, Andy Diagram's wonderful trumpet........I love this band!!

i guess it is the "Seven" line up which was 15 years ago. They make sure you hear Andy's trumpet. I love the album so far once I get past feeling a little silly singing along to songs like "oh my heart" and "upside." But...i also loved Millionaires and Pleases to Meet You, which most people seemed to ignore. Hopefully we get b-sides.

I'm waiting for it to arrive from Amazon.uk the minute as we speak. I don't think I have been more excited about any other record. Ever.

I mean this is the new JAMES we're talking about. I only got into them at the beginning of this century when they had just split up, and one of my favorite sentences always used to be "I could die happy if I ever got the chance to see James". I guess that is really quite likely to happen now ;) (that I will die happy one day, not that I am going to die right now :lol)

James has more than one song? And people care? Not to be an asshole, but wow. Maybe I should check this out. And I'm not being sarcastic, for the record; it's just that it honestly never occurred to me that there might be more to this band than "Laid." It'd be like finding out that there's more to EMF than "Unbelievable."

James has more than one song? And people care? Not to be an asshole, but wow. Maybe I should check this out. And I'm not being sarcastic, for the record; it's just that it honestly never occurred to me that there might be more to this band than "Laid." It'd be like finding out that there's more to EMF than "Unbelievable."

I kinda thought that for a short time, too. Then I found out the the Laid album was produced by Brian Eno, so I took a closer look. And I am very glad that I did. There is a LOT there (obviously, from the posts here).

In 1992 I painted my own James poster (the cover of the S/T album) because I couldn't find any James merch in the US. I still have it, as a matter of fact. :thumbup

Maker, if you had MTV and watched 120 Minutes back then, you would have seen a lot more of them, way before Laid came out.

And also, EMF had way more than Unbelievable! Of course, it all sounded pretty much the same. They did do a pretty great cover of Search and Destroy.

A mixture of cherry juice & fizzy water just came out of my nose after reading your post. :pirate

I've always felt bad for James, Crowded House, and probably Dexy's Midnight Runners for getting lumped in with being one hit wonder bands in the States...if all you get is what radio feeds you how does one get into Wilco?

I bet the chances of James touring the states is pretty slim. Maybe they can do a "We don't like America" tour with Jarvis Cocker and Manic Street Preachers.

Thank God I never ever EVER!! listen to any radio station. Probably because all German radio stations are total crap to begin with, but even more because I kinda like to choose the music I listen to myself :lol

I hope for all people in the States/Canada that James are indeed gonna tour - but seeing as they don't even have real European dates other than some strange festivals in Portugal, I doubt it :no My husband and I decided last night though that we are gonna skip one of the two REM gigs we had planned to go to this summer, and will go to the UK in December to see James instead :wub We can have a drink then if you'd like to join in :)

Thank God I never ever EVER!! listen to any radio station. Probably because all German radio stations are total crap to begin with, but even more because I kinda like to choose the music I listen to myself :lol

I hope for all people in the States/Canada that James are indeed gonna tour - but seeing as they don't even have real European dates other than some strange festivals in Portugal, I doubt it :no My husband and I decided last night though that we are gonna skip one of the two REM gigs we had planned to go to this summer, and will go to the UK in December to see James instead :wub We can have a drink then if you'd like to join in :)

Good choice! Have a great time!

I've always felt bad for James, Crowded House, and probably Dexy's Midnight Runners for getting lumped in with being one hit wonder bands in the States...if all you get is what radio feeds you how does one get into Wilco?

James & Crowded House both have faithful followings in the US, and though I'm not a big fan of either act, I know a bunch of their songs. Dexy's Midnight Runners, however, are truly a one-song wonder here and I'll be damned if they even recorded another song, ever, even though I know they're big in Japan or wherever.

James & Crowded House both have faithful followings in the US, and though I'm not a big fan of either act, I know a bunch of their songs. Dexy's Midnight Runners, however, are truly a one-song wonder here and I'll be damned if they even recorded another song, ever, even though I know they're big in Japan or wherever.

I always found it interesting that "Laid" was big in the States but not as much so in England.

Maybe I overstated on Dexy's...but I do think "Geno" went number 1 in England.

• 5 months later...

James_HeyMa_sm.jpg

The local record shop had one copy. My initial reaction to the album was one of relief: James still sounds like James. I'm diggin' it.

Also, yesterday I bought tickets to catch them in Milwaukee next Friday.

Side story: Earlier in the week I was playing some older James records, and later that afternoon I overheard my four-year-old daughter singing quietly to herself, "What I need... what I need.... what I need... what I need... is you."

Will have to check it out, been having a bit of a James revival recently and been rediscovering Laid the album all over again (as it happens, the title track is my least favorite and ruins the flow of a near perfect album)

Also loving Cresecendo from Goldmother, one of their loveliest!

Does anyone have mp3s of the original Roughtrade Come home & Sit Down cd singles

A little nostalgia trip, remembering sitting on the hill with a big pint of cider watching this!

I still listen to this record regularly. It's very easy the best album of the year IMHO,

Same here. At some level I have a hard time saying it's the best record of the year, but it's the one I enjoy and listen to the most so I guess it is for me