hey'all

i am looking for a good volume boost pedal. something relatively clean that can boost just the volume like crazy. i've been looking at candidates for a while, but most of them seem to be glorified ODs, or at least meant to drive your amp into breakup. i have many a pedal that supposedly boosts my signal, but i have some gibsons with insane outputs, and all the pedals seem to do is clip. i need more volume!

suggestions?

i have been looking at various treble boosters, like the Homebrew Germania (im not sure what im looking for is a treble booster tho), and the pedalworx mcBoost.

other ideas would be greatly appreciated. i know i can count on you! :rock

What type of amp are you running?

I hate to say it (especially without knowing more), but you might just need a bigger amp. If you've tried a bunch of boosts and they're all making you sound overdriven, then the problem is probably that you don't have enough headroom on the amp. That is, it's not the boost that's overdriving but the preamp of your amplifier or, alternately, you're getting some speaker distortion from slamming it with too much output (I replaced the speaker in my amp with one rated for a lower wattage specifically to get this effect, however).

Still, I've got a mint 2003 Fulltone Fatboost, $120 shipped to the ConUS, if you want to try one more.

Just picked up a boss eh2 enhancer pedal....designed for the re-enforcement of lost high freq signals from running a lot of pedals, but works great as a clean boost (i use it on my acoustic rig as well)

Lot of folks use a boss eq for this also

im using a vox AC15. and the thing im trying to combat is the volume loss caused by certain overdrive pedals (specifically the Rx Overdriver). I know my guitar can be louder with this amp, because it often is... just not with certain pedals.

Hmmm... I guess I don't know enough about the Rx Overdriver. Is volume loss a common problem with that pedal? Even with its volume knob dimed? I thought it was supposed to be a boost pedal in itself.

Also, I forgot to ask this, sorry, what is your pedal chain and where do you put the boost?

The AC15 doesn't have a lot of headroom (which is why they made an AC30) and if it has a Celestion Blue (rated at 15 watts) it'll get some speaker breakup pretty soon as it's getting pushed right at its rating. Still, you should have a enough headroom to play relatively clean and loud unless you're diming it or playing right on the edge of breakup and then boosting it.

it doesnt have the celestion, and i am planning on putting the boost after the overdrive pedals (or at least the Rx). I know its supposed to be a boost in itself, but when the drive is almost all the way up (and even with volume at full throttle), it dampens down the signal some. i think this is because of the awesome compression it does.

and i KNOW the issue is not the amp, because my guitar, with other OD pedals has been as loud as im lookin for on the exact same settings. so headroom isnt an issue. I just want a boost that can get to the volume of those other pedals without adding more dirt.

thanks for all the advice, btw. it is greatly appreciated. i've always been intrigued by the fatboost.

• 2 weeks later...