Jeff Tweedy Hotel SnS April 12, 2008

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry, sorry!   so glad you finally got your song, alison! it was indeed another wonderful and unique evening, and thanks to jeff and susan (and everyone who contributed to the kickass potluck and,

Posted Images

Due to an unfortunate water spillage-camera incident, I have photos right up until the point when Jeff started playing. The rest are just static. But I do have some pics of stardog warming up the crowd with selections from "Kids are Punny," so there's that. ;) Thanks for the pictures, Sam! What a weekend.

... and i heard the song i've been wanting to hear forever :)

It was amazing. Jeff played "The Unwelcome Guest," with accompaniment from Dave Mirabella on guitar and Martin Rivas on vocals.

I don't even know if we had as many songs as last year, but I think the show managed to go longer regardless. :lol

I'll have more to say, but I think I'm still in a dessert coma. (Or a pork cheek coma.)

Aw, man! I wanna book a stay at the Hotel SnS! :thumbup

Looking forward to reading and seeing more about last night!

Oh, look at all the penguins in the audience! That Jay Ryan, nice, nice poster.

And Evonne's hotpad! :worship

Can't wait to see the setlist!

Any new songs???

Brianne, camera/water accident? Noooooooo!

It was amazing. Jeff played "The Unwelcome Guest," with accompaniment from Dave Mirabella on guitar and Martin Rivas on vocals.

I don't even know if we had as many songs as last year, but I think the show managed to go longer regardless. :lol

I'll have more to say, but I think I'm still in a dessert coma. (Or a pork cheek coma.)

TA and JT on Unwelcome Guest? That's cool as hell - way to go Martin! :thumbup Man, I'd love to hear that sometime.

where's the guy with the setlist?

this was such a lovely and incredible evening... and i heard the song i've been wanting to hear forever :)

sorry, sorry! :pirate

so glad you finally got your song, alison! it was indeed another wonderful and unique evening, and thanks to jeff and susan (and everyone who contributed to the kickass potluck and, heck, to everyone who was there) for being a part of it!

the setlist, which doesn't come close to doing justice to the show itself, went like this:

-I'm Into Something Good [Herman's Hermits]

-ELT

-Simple Twist of Fate [bob Dylan] (aborted)

-Hotel Arizona

-Be Not So Fearful [bill Fay]

-Henry and the H-Bombs [Mott the Hoople]

-Let's Not Get Carried Away

-Summer Teeth

-Build Me Up Buttercup [The Foundations]

-John Wesley Harding [bob Dylan]

-The Unwelcome Guest (w/Martin Rivas on background vocals and Dave Mirabella on guitar) :thumbup [i wish there was a "sublime" emoticon]

-Dreaming [blondie]

-Thirteen [big Star]

--------------------pee break-----------------------

-Simple Twist of Fate [bob Dylan; alternate lyrics]

-Airline to Heaven (w/Eddie O'Connor on guitar)

-The Rainbow Connection [Paul Williams] (fragment)

-Outta Mind (Outta Sight)

-More Like The Moon

-Wait Up

-Laminated Cat

-Kamera

-A Magazine Called Sunset

-The Ruling Class

-Love and Mercy [brian Wilson]

-In A Future Age

-(happy birthday to Jerry)-

-The Lonely 1

-The Thanks I Get

-The Long Cut (w/Dave Mirabella on guitar)

-Dash 7

-Hummingbird

-Sir Duke [stevie Wonder] (Martin Rivas on guitar and vocals; Jeff watching)

-No More Poetry

-Chinese Apple

-I'm Always in Love (dedicated to Natalie Jacobs "Saint Genevieve")

-Pecan Pie

-Far, Far Away

-California Stars

-Waiting On the World to Change [John Mayer] (fragment)

-Can't Keep From Talking

-Gun

-Candyfloss

• Like 1
-I'm Always in Love (dedicated to Natalie Jacobs "Saint Genevieve")

Losing Nat was a reminder of the fragile beauty of life and friendship (take nothing for granted), and last night was a great way to celebrate the music that brought us all together. Many thanks to everyone who made it possible, and especially to Sue and Jeff.

Jeff was probably cursing us for requesting so many covers, etc., but I really appreciated his willingness to be vulnerable and venture off the beaten path. (That's why we love him.) Heidi remarked that Jeff's covers are often better than the original performances of the songs, and for me, Jeff's "Dreaming" is the definitive version. I've forgotten who requested it, but it was really lovely.

I need to recover from my all-nighter and early flight home before I can upload my shots, but a nap is unlikely, as I keep grinning from ear to ear when I recall the events of the weekend: Rock 'n' Roll Hell, Hot Doug's, and of course, the show itself. Thanks to Jeff and Susan for their generosity (of spirit, patience, and time), and thanks to all the friends who put in the great requests, the amazing food, and the hearty sing-alongs. You're more fun than 60 pounds of pork cheeks.