Hard Drive Advice (for computer recording)

This is a question for home computer studio guys and just general computer types.

So, the hard drive on my rig is getting pretty full. I have an external drive, but it's pretty sketchy. Plus, I want a hard drive on which I can record directly (the USB2 external dive won't really allow for this due to transfer rates). So, would an external hard drive with serial ATA allow for this, or do I need to install a second hard drive into my computer (the prospect of which makes me a little nervous)? There's not much of a difference in price b/w the two, and I like having an external drive for easy transfer when I upgrade computers, etc.

the first question is, does your motherboard have any e-SATA ports? if so, and external sata drive is a great way to go. if not, you could always add a sata expansion card, of course at that point, you have to get in the case, adn might as well put in an internal drive. then you have to determine if you have any spare sata or ide connections, and get the right drive from there.

i'm sure i've added complications, but assure you it isn;'t as scary as you may think.

what size drive are you shooting for?

I don't think I have any e-SATA ports -- I need to pull out the tower and check -- so if going the external route, I was planning on adding an expansion card. I think it would be worth it just to have the flexibility of an external drive. Plus, it seems like it would be easier to install the expansion card than to install an internal hard drive. Plus, I have some experience with installing expansion cards (firewire, etc.).

I'm probably aiming for a 500 Gb drive, but 250 would probably cut it.

In my personal experience, I've been able to record to USB 2.0 without a hitch. However, if that's not working for you, you could try firewire. I have one of these enclosures, where you can get an off-the-shelf hard drive, put it in there and it becomes a portable drive. It's cool too if you fill a drive up, you can still use the enclosure with a new drive. I successfully record to firewire all the time with a (fairly old) Powerbook G4.

Additionally, if you have an old hard drive, you can put it in the enclosure and get all your old data off via USB.

Make sure whatever hard drive you are using is at least 7200 rpm.

Installing a new hard drive internally isn't a big deal. I used to build computers when I was in college and found the following places an excellent resource for just such computer changes, upgrades, etc.

Tom's Hardware Forum

Hard Forum

I hope that is of some help!!

--Andy

Okay, I'm going with an internal drive -- turned out I had an extra SATA connection already wired for a second hard drive (but not an external e-SATA port). In fact, on my computer it couldn't be any easier to open her up and slide an extra hard drive into it. 500 more GB, here I come.

Hopefully this will put an end to my recent gear-purchasing spree.

Can you swap externals with buddies that run the same Pro Tools format as you and open up sessions to over dub say drum tracks....ect.? In June and July my buddy and I are recording my first record, and I asumed you could just do this. I've pretty much just gone through and done demos for the past year and really wan't to make a polished copy of my/our songs and there will be days when one of us can't be around.

Can you swap externals with buddies that run the same Pro Tools format as you and open up sessions to over dub say drum tracks....ect.? In June and July my buddy and I are recording my first record, and I asumed you could just do this. I've pretty much just gone through and done demos for the past year and really wan't to make a polished copy of my/our songs and there will be days when one of us can't be around.

I would assume so. I've used an external to go back and forth between two different computers running the same version of SONAR.

I would assume so. I've used an external to go back and forth between two different computers running the same version of SONAR.

Ditto. I've never had problems switching between setups. You just want to make sure you are running the same version.

BBW - good luck on the upgrade. I need to add an internal drive, but I'm thinking of taking the TB plunge. Man, I remember when my two 40 GB drives set up on a RAID were the cat's pajamas.

all i can say is Seagate. i just went over 3 tb on my network, and all but 1 drive is Seagate.

i've had many issues with Western Digital , and pretty good luck with Hitachi.

right now, the price per gb seems lowest in the 500-750 gb area. go to the 1tb drives, and the price jumps way up.

right now, the price per gb seems lowest in the 500-750 gb area. go to the 1tb drives, and the price jumps way up.

That's good to know.

I would also like to throw in my endorsement for Seagate. My 500 GB external drive has been solid.

I've done the same thing, only I'm now into the "hand over the hard drive" portion of the project. Total transferability of sessions. However, when it comes time to hand over your demos to someone, make sure to save your session as a session copy with all the audio files included. Otherwise, they won't be there when your demos get opened. There is a little check box in Protools when you select "Save Session Copy In."

I've done the same thing, only I'm now into the "hand over the hard drive" portion of the project. Total transferability of sessions. However, when it comes time to hand over your demos to someone, make sure to save your session as a session copy with all the audio files included. Otherwise, they won't be there when your demos get opened. There is a little check box in Protools when you select "Save Session Copy In."

:thumbup sweet!

also, if you know you and your buddy are running different versions of PT you can save as a copy that will open in older versions, if memory serves correctly, by clicking the "session format" drop-down menu in the save dialog box.

chances are you won't have the exact same plugins, so some of them may become inactive when opening on the other PT setup - don't remove them! just wait until you are back on your original setup and re-instantiate them and your settings will be recalled.

if you ARE getting an external, i would highly advise against USB, even if it does seem to work fine for some people - firewire ultimately streams data more efficiently and is less of a CPU strain. USB adds additional system overhead because of the way it is designed to work - the CPU handles all arbitration functions and dictates data flow (and when working with audio you need to keep as much CPU power as possible dedicated to processing / playback / recording, not just moving data from point A to point B.) Firewire is designed to provide a constant, reliable stream of data, which is exactly what you need for audio. Think of it as a steady stream of water as opposed to short bursts of water from a showerhead, or something. For audio, you need a steady stream. Hopefully that makes sense.

Also, if you use a USB drive for tracking audio, it is bound to fail faster because of all the 'start/stop' bursts of activity.

In my setup I use 2 Lacie "Porsche" externals, a 7200 Firewire dedicated for only recording (250 GB in 3 partitions), and a 7200 USB 2.0 that i use only for backup / storage.