A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to hold every album up to the standard of the late 60's/early 70's output of The Stones, those albums are fucked.

I'm sorry you fell that way about VL.

Is there a middle ground between having a handful of great songs and sucking ass?

i'm just saying that overall, they never made a truly GREAT great record post Exile for me. they made a few good and a few passable records, yes.

i'm just saying that overall, they never made a truly GREAT great record post Exile for me. they made a few good and a few passable records, yes.

Are we gonna get the full story of that avatar pic? Fkkn fresh!

Are we gonna get the full story of that avatar pic? Fkkn fresh!

haha

well, Chuck did this speaking event here on Saturday over in St. Paul, called the Fakebook. they pair up authors/musicians/etc. with musical performers and it's basically a live talk show w/ musical performances. past ones included Chuck Klosterman w/ Tapes n' Tapes, Laurie Lindeen w/ Paul Westerberg & many other musical guests, Amy Sedaris (i forget who the band was... Bound Stems i think?), Griel Marcus & The Mekons, etc.

this one was Chuck D & Slug from Atmosphere, with Brother Ali as the musical guest.

Chuck and Mary Lucia (the usual Fakebook host, who happens to be Westerbergs sister) talked for about an hour on various great topics. he talked about how he avoided Rick Rubin for the first 2 years or so when he was starting out, and about how he was the one who gave Busta Rhymes his name, named after MN Viking player Buster Rhymes. talked about how he grew up next to Eddie Murphy, and that Eddie would always try and date his sister, and how he always thought Charlie Murphy was the truly funny brother and that he'd heard all those Chapelle Show jokes in the 80's.

Brother Ali f'n KILLED all of his performances, but the best was "Letter From The Government", which he uses the PE line as the main chorus. he and Slug from Atmosphere did a freestyle together, but Chuck never got on the mic unfortunately (was still an amazing night though).

Slug talked about how he was able to get Tom Waits to guest on his new album, which was a pretty hilarious story.

anywho, in between 15 min set break, Chuck came down and sat on the front of the stage (we were front row right in front of the couch he was sitting on) and held out his hand and talked w/ everyone who walked up to the front row. they had to cut people off after the 2nd half was about to start, but he did the same thing afterwards and I bet he talked with, signed autographs, took photos, etc. with probably 75% of the 1000 people who were there. super super gracious and humble human being. normally i'm not one to get photos with musicians, but it just seemed too perfect of an opportunity to pass up... that and my friend from high school will shit his pants when I show him it ;) .

Here's some great photos from the event:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcbehm/sets/72157604644037750/

This can be interpreted either way? I say Ben Folds Five is multiple times better than solo...hope that what you are sayin?

It made sense to him:

Yeah, I agree. BFF were 10 times better.

Stephen Stills is the best member of CSN

I don't feel like reading this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating anything. I know I definitely agree with the Doors sucking and Animal Collective being overrated.

When/how did Daft Punk become so influential and popular?

I can't take hip-hop seriously because I don't understand putting skits on albums not by Adam Sandler.

I think Nick Drake is kinda boring.

Sticky Fingers>Any Beatles album.

When/how did Daft Punk become so influential and popular?

robots dude... robots

but no, i kinda agree...

i mean i LOVED Daft Punk in college from '97 to '99, but haven't cared for much else they've done since

I would have said something earlier off Freewheelin'...like Masters Of War. But definitely plugging in at Newport '65 was his ballsiest move.

yeah i agree, but all of dylan's pre motorcycle accident was so tremendous and so important, everyone who posts blasphemy on dylan should look back at history, and another statement, dylan plugging in at newport was the most important moment in music

Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett sucks.

The Kinks are better than the Stones and the Beatles...combined!

When you get past the brooding rock star persona, Eddie Vedder is the man.

I hate newer Modest Mouse (solely because it isn't old Modest Mouse).

The Hold Steady have released 3 classic albums, and have never made a bad song. Craig Finn is probably the best lyricist of this generation, and it's really nice to see a band that isn't too serious to rock.

The Hold Steady have released 3 classic albums, and have never made a bad song. Craig Finn is probably the best lyricist of this generation, and it's really nice to see a band that isn't too serious to rock.

Also, the Boy Least Likely To's debut album describes me far better than I ever could and is a total classic.

These are the first things in this thread you have said that I agree with. Way to go!

Los Lobos are the best American band today, and probably in the Top 5 all time.

REM hasn't put anything interesting out since Document (that's 20 years of suckage).

George should have been knighted before Paul (or, at all, for that matter).

CCR's output vs time ratio is unparalleled.

REM hasn't put anything interesting out since Document (that's 20 years of suckage).

A-men, brother.

they were a better Rock N' Roll band, especially live, but they were so not better songwriters

that's one thing that amazes me about the Beatles, is while i think they're the best Rock band of all time, is that they rarely played live and even those live shows they did play never really garnered amazing reviews.

Rarely played live?? Have you ever looked at their schedule from 63-66? If they weren't in the studio, they were on the road. Epstein practically worked them to death. Their hellish schedule was a big factor in choosing to stop touring.

douchebaggery is such a great term.

douchebaggery is overrated

the more i think about it, the more i think "living room" shows sound like a terrible time.

:blink

While I totally agree with the premise of not ripping people for their opinions, this statement leads me to think you don't like to have fun.

Also, My Chemical Romance's last album was one of my 10 favorite of 2006.

This is the blasphemy thread, not the confess your embarassing guilty pleasures thread. ;)