A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

i support the Beatles but NOT ringo solo
Yea, but even they let him sing on occasion...go figure.

Daniel Johnston's entire celebrity is the result a lot of people convincing themselves that he's a brilliant artist because wouldn't it be cool if this dysfunctional guy were a genius?
I actually do agree with this (although I have been enjoying M.Ward's cover of one of his songs.) The movie about him is one of the saddest and most tragic films I have seen in a long time.

And the comment about rap is pretty much true also....

LouieB

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many good points here already that I must agree with.....

Yes, Arcade Fire is over-rated, but Nirvana is the most over-rated band in the history of music.

The singer's voice from the National makes me feel comatose

I hate Led Zeppelin

A band I used to absolutely adore, The Tragically Hip, now bores the crap out of me, and I am thoroughly depressed that Bob Rock is producing their next album again.

I like Wilco much better with Nels

Paul McCartney is an arrogant jerk

....and the muted jazz trumpet is one of the best sounds in the world!

Oh, and Thom Yorke, that enough now. We all know you are VERY creative and weird, but please start writing good songs again, which you have not done since 1997.

I haven't listened to a Radiohead album since "The Bends." (I was accidentally exposed to singles from OK Computer)

Thom Yorke is whiny and it bores me.

I couldn't care less about The National or My Morning Jacket.

I think Bright Eyes has actually written some really good, catchy tunes.

I'm too annoyed by the many young, neo-hippie, Grateful Dead fans I've encountered to ever really give GD a fair shake.

Ani Difranco annoys the poo out of me. I can't stand her voice. (I wouldn't feel comfortable telling this to most of my chick friends.)

There have been some fucked-up things said in this thread, but far fewer of them have bothered me than I expected. :)

You know who else sucks? Rush.

All jazz that's not fully acoustic sucks ass. Electric guitars should never be used in jazz. Neither should any keyboard instrument except piano. Truthfully, there hasn't really been much "jazz" recorded since the mid-'60s(?) that I think is worth a damn. Fusion is an abomination.

I too like (love, actually) Steely Dan. And I like a lot of Doobie Brothers songs (though their albums don't tend to hold together well). And while

I'm definitely tired of them these days, I was once an Eagles fan. Oh, and Hall & Oates motherfuckin' rule.

Other overrated bands: Shins, Broken Social Scene, Modest Mouse, White Stripes, My Morning Jacket. And there's plenty more where those came from.

I don't understand the appeal of Bon Iver or Conor Oberst.

Though I love his voice and his guitar playing, Gary Louris is a pretty crappy songwriter.

It took me a long time to "get" Elliott Smith. But now I do.

Some stuff on my list has already been mentioned, but here goes:

90% of Bob Marley's stuff DOES sound the same

Radiohead is overrated (but still not bad)

Pink Floyd, while putting out some amazing albums, is still very overrated: I can't dig all of it very much

David Bowie is just okay

Bob Dylan's post-'60s output pales in comparison to anything he did during the '60s

Gary Louris and Jay Farrar's best songwriting days are about 10 years past

The lyrics on SBS are strikingly similar to the lyrics from AM: not the return to form I wanted Jeff to make

Brian Wilson's "Smile" is mostly cheesy, sometimes boring and always terribly overrated

Pet Sounds is good, but still way overrated

More later (maybe), gotta run now.

Electric guitars should never be used in jazz.

Die.

No, don't die. But seriously, you have a problem with Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Johnny Smith, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, etc? That sucks. You're missing out on some great music.

I might add, that I love Ani DiFranco. Love her. As a music devotee and musician, her music surely changed my life.

I may never listen to Sky Blue Sky in its entirety again, and it's only partially because On and On and On has been rendered unlistenable by an ex-girlfriend.

I don't own a single David Bowie album, and while I love the singles, I don't think I have ever made it through an entire one.

I really wish the Velvets had explored the chamber-pop sounds of Stephanie Says and managed to keep John Cale in the band, actually I don't think that's really blasphemy.

I geek out everytime I hear Steely Dan, The Doobies/Michael McDonald and Christopher Cross, and it's only partially because of Yacht Rock.

I think Electro Shock Blues by the Eels is a better album than OK Computer.

While Bob Marley's songs do sound the same, No Woman No Cry and Redemption Song are sublime, with that being said I prefer Joe Strummer's version of Redemption Song to Marley's.

Pink Floyd completely lost me after Dark Side of the Moon, though I do love the song Wish You Were Here. I listen to Piper and the first two Barrett solo albums a lot more than any other Floyd release.

Though I love the album, I always have a bit of a problem listening to Blood on The Tracks and feeling sympathetic towards Dylan, considering that the majority of the problems in his relationship were probably due in part to the fact that he was sleeping with other women. I also have this same issue with a lot of John and Paul's "break-up" songs on the mid period Beatles songs. I wish things like this didn't affect me.

I can't stand the Doors, Crosby, Stills and Nash may have been better without Neil Young (who was certainly better without Crosby, Stills and Nash), I don't own nearly enough punk records, I prefer the music of 66-69 to anything that came before or after. I still have never listened to Raw Power.

--Mike

Highway Star proves that whoever wrote Deep Purple's lyrics has an IQ below 80.

John Fogerty was treated worse than any other major white musician. Either that or he's just really oversensitive.

I've tried and just can't get into Television.

Big Star, what's the Big deal.

Eddie Vedder is the worst singer in the history of rock music. He wouldn't be worthy to clean Kurt's grungy toenails.

Crosby, Stills, and Nash destroyed the hippie dream. (well, maybe)

Little Feat and The Band, no matter how many cult followers, will always be underappreciated.

Nick Drake had more ability in his little finger than 99.9999% of all musicians who will ever roam the earth.

Vinyl will outlast CD.

Die.

No, don't die. But seriously, you have a problem with Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Johnny Smith, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, etc? That sucks. You're missing out on some great music.

Yes, I have a problem with them. They should take their talent and play some music that doesn't suck.

Also: maybe it's just my impression of the concept of this thread, but I don't think feedback on other people's blasphemy is part of the deal. ;)

The Beastie Boys were a hell of a lot better when they were stupid, drunk, misogynist assholes.

there's a lot of douchebaggery going on in this thread.

Definitely!

Also, the use of "overrated" to describe an artist/group is so overused these days that it has become meaningless.

Definitely!

Also, the use of "overrated" to describe an artist/group is so overused these days that it has become meaningless.

exactly.

funny thing is, since OKC i've always felt Radiohead were overrated, but they're still a favorite band of mine.

The Beastie Boys were a hell of a lot better when they were stupid, drunk, misogynist assholes.
At what point would you make the cutoff? What album would you say they quit being assholes on and I'll decide whether or not I can agree with you on this. :huh
Brian Wilson's "Smile" is mostly cheesy, sometimes boring and always terribly overrated

I like the Beach Boys and love Pet Sounds, but I'm with you on Smile. I can't stand it. "Cheesy" is being too complimentary.

I'll also second the thought that Electro-Shock Blues by the Eels is a masterpiece.

Deerhoof is unlistenable.

Sonic Youth only have one good album, Murray Street.

Devendra Banhart is the kind of guy you see on the bus and try to avoid.

Get Out, Get Out, Get Out, is one of the best albums of our times.

This thread may be full of douchebaggery but maybe it could be a good thing, maybe if we get all of this out of us now, next time theres a thread about an artist like My Morning Jacket or Bright Eyes we won't have people posting about how they don't like those artists.