• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bassists are the most musically talented members of the following bands:

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

The Who

You've probably seen this, but in case you haven't it's really cool (imo). Isolated bass on a "Won't Get Fooled Again" (live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80dsyo2Ox-0

There's a similar one for Baba O' Riley and Pinball Wizard, too.....

Shit.

I suppose that it's easy to make the argument for Paul Mc. and John E., but I guess I don't hear enough praise for JPJ usually. 

The most underrated member of Zep. Bass, piano, keyboard, organ, guitar, mandolin -- OH, and the recorder. Dude can play just about anything. I'm pretty sure he was responsible for a lot of arrangements and scoring horn and string parts in Zep.

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Entwhistle was a unique and gifted bass player for sure, but not the greatest songwriter or singer in the band. Are we rating virtuosity and dexterity here? Musical talent and technical ability aren't necessarily synonymous.

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Talking Heads, too.

Entwhistle was a unique and gifted bass player for sure, but not the greatest songwriter or singer in the band. Are we rating virtuosity and dexterity here? Musical talent and technical ability aren't necessarily synonymous.

Add the singing, technical ability, arachnid-related songwriting, french-horn playing, dancing ability, and beard growing up any way you want, and weight them accordingly. If we were to hold an open draft of The Who, Entwistle would be my #1 pick. 

Talking Heads, too.

nice one.

Add the singing, technical ability, arachnid-related songwriting, french-horn playing, dancing ability, and beard growing up any way you want, and weight them accordingly. If we were to hold an open draft of The Who, Entwistle would be my #1 pick. 

don't downplay his ability to simultaneously consume cocaine and whores.

The most underrated member of Zep. Bass, piano, keyboard, organ, guitar, mandolin -- OH, and the recorder. Dude can play just about anything. I'm pretty sure he was responsible for a lot of arrangements and scoring horn and string parts in Zep.

JPJ was teased by the others in the band mercilessly because he was no fun. On tour, they'd get to a new city, JPJ would disappear until stage time, no one knew where he was.

JPJ was teased by the others in the band mercilessly because he was no fun. On tour, they'd get to a new city, JPJ would disappear until stage time, no one knew where he was.

probably practicing his awesome bass lines on Immigrant Song?

don't downplay his ability to simultaneously consume cocaine and whores.

Good way to go.

probably practicing his awesome bass lines on Immigrant Song?

That or visiting places of culture (as the band suspected) rather than indulging in excesses as all '70s era bands were known to do.

That makes me love JPJ a little bit more. I've only read one Zep book, Hammer of the Gods, a pretty good read. From what I recall, he partook in his fair share of the offerings of the road, but his intake was much more discreet and moderate. I think I read an interview with Robert Plant where he said something similar about JPJ.

Either way, the guy has monster talent.

is there something wrong with consuming cocaine and whores at the same time?? I mean he wasn't married was he?

My life's in jeopardy

Murdered in cold blood is what I'm gonna be

I ain't been home since Friday night

And now my wife is coming after me

Talking Heads, too.

Does Adrian Belew count? 

John Paul Jones wrote a ton of In through the out door. And before someone says that's a negative, screw you I love that album.

And shit, the bass on Lemon song makes a strong case for him.

John Paul Jones wrote a ton of In through the out door. And before someone says that's a negative, screw you I love that album.

Agreed with all of this.

true!. it's a plant/jones album. plant had the death of his son, and the other two were busy with drugs and alcohol.. someone has to get the job done. and i love hot dog & carouselambra!. check out the 'scream for help' soundtrack that Jones did. he sings on it as well