A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Paul Jones wrote a ton of In through the out door. And before someone says that's a negative, screw you I love that album.

And shit, the bass on Lemon song makes a strong case for him.

Gave In Through the Out Door a listen yesterday. Been a long time. I do enjoy some late-period Zep. Thanks for reminding me of that. 

choo choo, at least listen to the track Hung Up and Overdue.  As awesome as Crawling Back To You and Wake Up Time, IMO.  Plus there are some dirty good guitar tones like on Change The Locks and Climb That Hill.  There are definitely some lesser known gems on She's The One.

There are definitely some lesser known gems on She's The One.

They sound like they're having fun on She's the One.  Wildflowers has a lot of good songs, but it's plodding and overly long.   My belief is that Steve Ferrone hadn't learned how to play with Tom at that time, and as a result the album suffers from an uncohesive group sound.   It's possible Tom agreed, since he used Ferrone on Wildflowers but not on most of She's the One, which came out two years later.

Yeah there aint no cover version of Sympathy that could even begin to touch the one in Rock and Roll Circus.

I think that was in like 67 or something?? Truly groundbreaking and must have fukked faces when they did it.

12/68 it was filmed -- okay version and movie, never gotten around getting the DVD, just have it on VHS.

The whole One + One was a mess - but the footage in the studio recording Beggars was cool.

• 1 month later...

By the time I listened to [Oh Mercy], I had moved on to other musical interests/obsessions and it did not click for me. I wanted something that it was not.

I suggest anyone who dislikes Oh Mercy give it a second chance. Most of the Time just came up on my iTunes shuffle and made my day. :)

On the other hand, do people like World Gone Wrong? I recently bought that and was realllly underwhelmed. Just thought it would hold my interest much more than it did.

Jane's Addiction's cover of "sympathy for the devil" in their self-titled debut is better than the Rolling Stones' version

As much as I love this version (and have listened to it probably 6-7 times since the winter holidays because it's in the wife's car rotation still), the Stones still kick the shit out if the tune.Even the album version is still better, imo. Love that Keith plays bass on the original, too, as he did on one of the best Stones tunes ever, "Street Fighting Man".

I suggest anyone who dislikes Oh Mercy give it a second chance. Most of the Time just came up on my iTunes shuffle and made my day. :)

On the other hand, do people like World Gone Wrong? I recently bought that and was realllly underwhelmed. Just thought it would hold my interest much more than it did.

i LOVE Good as i been to you, but World gone wrong seems a bit stale, even though there are some good tunes on it

and Oh mercy is great. maybe the Wilburys gave him a wake up call! (and yes, Under the red sky is really underrated too)

Oh man World Gone Wrong is excellent. I love every second of it.

Even when he hits a bad note? :lol

It sounds like they recorded it live in the studio with no 2nd takes. Not that that's always a bad thing, but...

I will give it another crack in a while. Hell, I even get a kick out of some of the songs from Together Through Life when they come up. I am a soft touch when it comes to Zimmy.

i LOVE Good as i been to you, but World gone wrong seems a bit stale, even though there are some good tunes on it

and Oh mercy is great. maybe the Wilburys gave him a wake up call! (and yes, Under the red sky is really underrated too)

SS is correct - every second of World Gone Wrong is great ----  I always thought Good as I Been to You was a bit stale.

I was in still  in high school when Oh Mercy was released and upon listening it hooked me into Dylan. Before that I think I only had the Greatest Hits Vol. 1 tape.

From wikipedia (which might or might not be accurate, I know):

Recorded solo in a matter of days, a total of 14 songs were recorded without a single change in guitar strings. Marked by distortion, the recording quality was very primitive by modern standards, with very casual microphone placement and very little tuning.

And that explains my reaction to it...