A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ska was around quite a bit before bands like The Specials changed it up to include "Punk" rhythms and basically change the genre. I've heard some of the earlier "Ska" stuff from Jamaica roots and it's pretty different....

I think that the problem with punk-ska is that the band that (kinda) invented the genre--at least the hardcore version of it--did it so perfectly and so well that every other band attempting the style just sounds like a pale imitation.

Yes, I am talking about Operation Ivy.

And, no I am not certain that they invented it, but they seem to be the earliest band that had any sort of a lasting influence on the sound. Listen to Energy and even the haters can see the appeal.

Bad ska shows at bars were always fun in the early 90's while at school at SIU (Carbondale, IL).

Who are you?!

I was at SIUC in the early 90s. And I was at quite a few of those bad ska shows at the Hangar and whatnot.

I wrote for the Nightlife and DJed at IDB, too.

I was also in a (terrible) band down there called Rufus.

• 3 weeks later...

this weekend I went on Spotify and checked out Eric Clapton's solo inventory from the beginning until some point in the 80s when I couldn't take it anymore.

My conclusion is that Clapton (solo) recorded about half a dozen great songs.  The rest are largely blues filler.  While I enjoy listening to his guitar work, and he does a good job at fusing and/or emulating some of the blues men before him, he is a remarkably over-hyped musician and artist.  

this weekend I went on Spotify and checked out Eric Clapton's solo inventory from the beginning until some point in the 80s when I couldn't take it anymore.

My conclusion is that Clapton (solo) recorded about half a dozen great songs.  The rest are largely blues filler.  While I enjoy listening to his guitar work, and he does a good job at fusing and/or emulating some of the blues men before him, he is a remarkably over-hyped musician and artist.  

Agree on all counts.

:yes   'tears in heaven' is one my favourite songs of all time, but he's not 'god' hell, i love Promises... no one else does!

Outside of Cream or Derek and the Dominoes, Eric Clapton's best work, IMO, is the record he played on with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

I like those and the Blind Faith record, and a small number of songs from his solo career, but when it comes to his solo era, he's earned a lot by accomlishing very litte.

461 Ocean Boulevard was a grrrrrreat record.

I don't think there's anything special about the guitar playing of Randy Rhoads.

Have to respectfully but completely disagree. Eddie Van Halen gets all the credit for masterful use of dimed amps but Rhoads had just as much control in my opinion. Extremely fluid and creative and drew on a classical background in a way that fit in perfectly with Ozzy's material. Ozzy's first two albums would not have materialized the way they did without Rhoads, and everything he did in the studio he could pull off live (or enhance it). The guy was really gifted.

Have to respectfully but completely disagree. Eddie Van Halen gets all the credit for masterful use of dimed amps but Rhoads had just as much control in my opinion. Extremely fluid and creative and drew on a classical background in a way that fit in perfectly with Ozzy's material. Ozzy's first two albums would not have materialized the way they did without Rhoads, and everything he did in the studio he could pull off live (or enhance it). The guy was really gifted.

I have to agree with this.  Randy had a way of playing in that classical style but with so much feeling.  I have to turn that Over the mountain solo up to 10 every time it comes on.  Goodbye to romance has a great solo.  Listen to the volume swells he does in "tonight" off Diary of a madman (right after the "now I'm back out on the street again" for example).  He had more subtely than people think.