A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

Another add to my rant:

All highly toughted alternative acts are overrated based on the premise, no band can live up to the degree of critical hype that is laid on them. Some people like that music, some people don't, they are always going to be overrated to someone. There will never be another big thing because it rock music in general is not new. Everyone has been influenced by someone who has done it before, and most likely did it better.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more the Drive By Truckers whine that they are 'not a Southern Band', the more evident this becomes.

I believe they resist the categorization that they are a 'Southern Rock Band.' Being that all the members are from the South, it's pretty hard to argue against what you said. As far as their whining about it goes, it's hard to sympathize when the album that put them on the map is Southern Rock Opera.

I believe they resist the categorization that they are a 'Southern Rock Band.' Being that all the members are from the South, it's pretty hard to argue against what you said. As far as their whining about it goes, it's hard to sympathize when the album that put them on the map is Southern Rock Opera.

link below doesn't seem to work anymore, but I've read a couple interviews that are like this:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/276/story/296178.html

Trouble is, the Drive-By Truckers are not a Southern-rock band.

This amicable argument seems unusual coming from the son of Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section bassist David Hood, not to mention a native Southerner whose phone-interview lexicon includes words like "granddaddy." But maybe that's the point. Southern-rock music, as a genre, is a different creature than simply being a rock band raised in the South.

"I don't want to come off like I'm bad-mouthing Southern rock - I'm not," Patterson Hood, 41, explains. The Truckers, he says, just don't want to be pigeonholed. "If everybody was saying we were the torchbearers for the Americana movement," he confesses, "I would be saying the exact same thing."

I just find it odd. When listening to them, I hear Marshall Tucker, Allman Bros, Derek + Dominoes, Sknyrd, Bottle Rockets, Jim Stafford, and twin guitars dueling like drunken confederate soldiers. I also hear songs about guns, little ones, righteous paths, and lawnmowers. It's all mixed with a pinch of boogie and a whole lot of heavy fuzzbox pushed past the point of parody. Me thinks Hood is whining about being rightly pigeonholed.

I love the Clash too, but I wasn't criticizing his dislike. I was just trying to figure out what he meant.

First, we'd have to settle on a definition of "punk". Too tedious. Same deal if I had said they were "cooler". Let's let it go.

First, we'd have to settle on a definition of "punk". Too tedious. Same deal if I had said they were "cooler". Let's let it go.

Yeah, punk is defined rather differently amongst different groups. But not as broadly as cool. I don't know, I just figured you had something in mind when you used that word. I guess not.

besides a a few songs per record in the mid to late 70's and the rare song throughout the 80's & 90's here and there, the Rolling Stones studio output post 1972 has sucked ass for the most part

Agree

there are 4 Stones Albums I love, and the rest pretty well can go to hell for me.

Beggar's

Let it Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile

No.

Talking in generalities is probably the dumbest way to ever try to convey a point. Dissing a genre or what is going on a musically in a country of millions is the quickest way to ever lose an arguement.

Wait, what? You are like totally dismissing your previous point.

Blaspheme:

The roots cover of "Masters of War" is better than anything Bob Dylan has done.

link below doesn't seem to work anymore, but I've read a couple interviews that are like this:

I just find it odd. When listening to them, I hear Marshall Tucker, Allman Bros, Derek + Dominoes, Sknyrd, Bottle Rockets, Jim Stafford, and twin guitars dueling like drunken confederate soldiers. I also hear songs about guns, little ones, righteous paths, and lawnmowers. It's all mixed with a pinch of boogie and a whole lot of heavy fuzzbox pushed past the point of parody. Me thinks Hood is whining about being rightly pigeonholed.

That's funny. I don't hear Allmans or Tucker at all. I hear Neil Young & Crazy Horse, The Rolling Stones, Faces, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Waylon Jennings, George Jones, and Bruce Springsteen influences in their sound and songwriting. I would never say they don't come off as 'Southern,' because they definitely do. But to refer to them as a 'Southern Rock' band is a very simplistic way to approach them. They're rooted in a "Southern Thing," but there's much more than that going on. Again, they will forever be linked to 'Southern Rock' more because of Southern Rock Opera than the way they actually sound. In that regard, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Wait, what? You are like totally dismissing your previous point.

I might be wrong, but I think you may have misread lizish's original post.

Most of the participants in this forum will never get rap music. If they admit this, they should just really stop trying, but more importantly stop talking about it.

I read this as "Rap haters - you don't get rap."

besides a a few songs per record in the mid to late 70's and the rare song throughout the 80's & 90's here and there, the Rolling Stones studio output post 1972 has sucked ass for the most part

This may be as close to a fact as anything posted in this thread.