A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

I might be wrong, but I think you may have misread lizish's original post.

I read this as "Rap haters - you don't get rap."

Ah, ok. That makes sense, though in my defense, it is a painfully vague post.

My bad, sorry for stirring the shit. :mellow

Blaspheme:

"War Pigs" is the best hard rock song of all time, doubly so if I've been drinking shitty light beer.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, punk is defined rather differently amongst different groups. But not as broadly as cool. I don't know, I just figured you had something in mind when you used that word. I guess not.

I guess I just think this:

zztop001_small.jpg

Is more punk than this:

TheClash231082-147.jpg

The Clash appear to be wearing a goofy uniform because it's what they think they're supposed to do, while ZZ Top looks like they're wearing a goofy uniform because that's who they are.

besides a a few songs per record in the mid to late 70's and the rare song throughout the 80's & 90's here and there, the Rolling Stones studio output post 1972 has sucked ass for the most part

Beggar's through Exile marks the absolute pinnacle of The Stones career/catalog. However, while not as good as the aforementioned run, Goat's Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You, and Voodoo Lounge are all far from "sucking ass."

i consider the clash more of a loud folk band than a punk band

That's a great observation. The Clash were definitely genre-busters, if not outright what they call a "crossover" success.

In a similar/related vein, Dylan's first few records were maybe the first manifestations of the punk spirit. But he was too far ahead of the curve for it to be categorized "properly".

dylan's performance of 'it's all over now baby blue' at newport '65 was the first punk rock moment.

I would have said something earlier off Freewheelin'...like Masters Of War. But definitely plugging in at Newport '65 was his ballsiest move.

Folk Dylan --> Rock Dylan

Fixed for ya. :thumbup

To me it's the metamorphosis that's really fun to watch. I wasn't there but at least it was well documented on film.

Matthew Sweet is one of the most important pop singer/songwritter of our time!

:thumbup

Matthew Sweet has yet to put out anything as inspired as the first half of Girlfriend. What happened? :dontgetit

While parts of it are good, the VU song "Sister Ray" is mostly unlistenable noise.

Beggar's through Exile marks the absolute pinnacle of The Stones career/catalog. However, while not as good as the aforementioned run, Goat's Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You, and Voodoo Lounge are all far from "sucking ass."

Some Girls and parts of Tattoo You, i'd agree those albums don't suck ass (i was saying for the most part, at least compared to their 60's and early 70's output).

but there's only a handful of songs i consider great between Goats, IORAR and B&B. and Voodoo Lounge suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks/ed.

Some Girls and parts of Tattoo You, i'd agree those albums don't suck ass (i was saying for the most part, at least compared to their 60's and early 70's output).

but there's only a handful of songs i consider great between Goats, IORAR and B&B. and Voodoo Lounge suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks/ed.

If you're going to hold every album up to the standard of the late 60's/early 70's output of The Stones, those albums are fucked.

I'm sorry you fell that way about VL.

Is there a middle ground between having a handful of great songs and sucking ass?