I love Steve Earle but find the idea of a solo show with a DJ utterly frightening. Has anyone seen him on this tour? Is it worth paying 35 bucks for?

Going on thursday, will report back. Like what I've heard so far. Anything Earle w/out the Dukes will be a good time imo.

A friend of mine saw him a few weeks ago and raved about what an excellent show it was.

Wish I was going on Thursday.

A friend of mine saw him a few weeks ago and raved about what an excellent show it was.

Wish I was going on Thursday.

He's playing the Pageant on monday..............

This thread is a joke right?

Nope :thumbup

That tune he did on the Late Show was actualy a Tom Waites song............I loved it.

He's playing the Pageant on monday..............

Then I wish I was going on Monday. My concert budget's shot.

This thread is a joke right?

No, but Steve Earle with a DJ sure is. I'm not really a fan of the new stuff.

I didn't really care for the dj but it was only on one or two of the songs when I saw him. The rest was solo acoustic goodness. I enjoyed it.

Exactly. The whole show is not with the DJ, just a small part. But I personally enjoyed the DJ part just fine. It was a great show and I thought it was well worth the ticket price and the 3-hour drive each way, too. :thumbup

No, but Steve Earle with a DJ sure is. I'm not really a fan of the new stuff.

The new album isn't his greatest, but I think it's a refreshing change. Some of the rapping/studio tricks I could do without. But Allison Moorer adds amazing harmonizing vocals to Steve's rough edges. Also, he sounds like he's in a good place on this album. I'd see him regardless.

It was quite awesome, though the DJ stuff only worked about half of the time to my ears. It was my first time seeing him without the Dukes, too.

I saw his kid the other night. Really good (part of the Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour, it can be listened to online, and is on many public radio stations). More Hank Sr and Waylon Jennings than new or Alt country. Had a lot of personality, yet came across as shy, like if Andy Griffith had been a reformed junkie.

Hoping to see his dad and Allison M next month.

I saw his kid the other night. Really good (part of the Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour, it can be listened to online, and is on many public radio stations). More Hank Sr and Waylon Jennings than new or Alt country. Had a lot of personality, yet came across as shy, like if Andy Griffith had been a reformed junkie.

Hoping to see his dad and Allison M next month.

Yea...he is really quite impressive (see my thread if it hasn't already disappered...)

He already has two CDs out on Bloodshot, and he is going to perform on the Grand Old Opry Friday (someone emailed me I think.)

LouieB

I saw him in Charlotte April 19 and had no idea what the show would be like, no clue about the DJ. All I knew was it was an 'acoustic show' so I was surprised. It was interesting, the DJ guy sang on some of the songs and added the beat. I would definitely recommend going if you can.

I saw him in Charlotte April 19 and had no idea what the show would be like, no clue about the DJ. All I knew was it was an 'acoustic show' so I was surprised. It was interesting, the DJ guy sang on some of the songs and added the beat. I would definitely recommend going if you can.
I was at this show too!

I was nicely surprised by some of the songs he played, I didn't expect to hear "The Mountain" "Transcendental Blues" "Heroin's the only thing" and a few others. VERY good setlist that night for the most part.

I HIGHLY recommend you go, if only for the solo-acoustic hour, for me that's worth the $$

The DJ stuff is a little more mixed imo. The songs with that stuff are ok -- like I like the Hammer song, and the song about "life goes on / down here below" but overall I would've preferred to have him just stick with the acoustic guitar. Only song that I think would sound better WITH the dj vice solo is the Waits cover (way down in a hole).

Also I know some people won't like to hear this, but I thought Allison's solo set was positively boring. I dunno how her albums are but that live set was pretty cock. (I am still supporting Tweedy's "bring back cock" initiative from the dvd)

Last nights show rocked. Got my Billy Austin! Sat fourth row and it felt like he was in my living room!

A must see on this tour.

Also I know some people won't like to hear this, but I thought Allison's solo set was positively boring.

Exactly. I was glad when she was finished.