i'd have to disagree...

first listen i thought it was hit or miss... second listen, it's way more miss than hit.

there's only 3 truly great songs on here (Long Division (easily the best song on the record, Cath, Your New Twin Sized Bed (still a HORRENDOUS title though).

these songs are just bad:

Talking Bird

You Can Do Better Than Me

Pity and Fear (those drums/percussion wreak 1980's Genesis/solo Phil Collins)

personally i think at least so far it's worse than Plans (which was their weakest album up until that point).

I'm not a big Death Cab fan. It leaked so I'm taking a listen today.

Bixby Canyon Bridge, Long Division, YNTSB and The Ice is getting Thinner jumped right out. I've only listened to it once in it's entirety.

I got four songs here that sound good to my ears, that's all I can tell you.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair enough... wasn't saying you claimed it was the most amazing thing ever, just sharing my thoughts ;)

and yeah, Bixby is decent, at least compared to some of the weaker songs.

i'm not too big on Ice Is getting Thicker though, sort of a dull way to end the record. at the end of that song i was shocked that it was over (and not in a good way)

fair enough... wasn't saying you claimed it was the most amazing thing ever, just sharing my thoughts ;)

and yeah, Bixby is decent, at least compared to some of the weaker songs.

i'm not too big on Ice Is getting Thicker though, sort of a dull way to end the record. at the end of that song i was shocked that it was over (and not in a good way)

The initial vox. on Bixby come across as a little too precious. Walla saves it.

Ice.....I think it fits. Sort of what I would expect from Gibbard ( and again I'm not really well versed in the band...probably comes more from poor second hand media clich

I REALLY love Cath...

Mostly though, there is just a lack of flavah with this album. Kinda like white bread start to finish.

totally OTM :worship

the Daytrotter version of Cath was just ok, but the studio version is very cool. Long Division might be their best song between the last 2 albums (although Crooked Teeth was the one big stand out on Plans)

Grapevine Fires is a pretty sweet lil song (great backing vocals are what make it), i think it was initially overshadowed by how lame the short song that precedes it is.

Cath is very good. I've been quitely impressed with this. I think it's better than Plans, there's a bit more to it. I think I can see the "white bread" thing, but I think that's just DCFC.

The single now sits quite nicely I think...

51gXD0-AhuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Who said the modern-day protest singer was dead?

What's he like in concert? (and I'm not that familiar with his stuff). Thinking of hitting his show simply because I'll be in the right place at the right time.

What's he like in concert? (and I'm not that familiar with his stuff). Thinking of hitting his show simply because I'll be in the right place at the right time.

He's playing in my neck of the woods tomorrow, but due to family obligations, I will not be able to attend. I'm pretty steamed about this because I haven't seen him live. He sounds pretty fucking amazing on the live album Live in Aught-Three.

ooh! me too. i can't stop. at least once a day.

I got his ep a while back which was good, but this one is a leap forward indeed; a real breath of fresh air in the often stifling world of new music.

Last 10 on iTunes Shuffle:

Cheap Trick - High Roller

Yo La Tengo - The Room Got Heavy

Sloan - Right Or Wrong

Happy Ashtray - Do I Have To Travel Far?

Naked Raygun - Free Nation

Gilberto Gil - Coragem pra Suportar

Blue Ruin - The Cure

The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun

Brinsley Schwarz - Love Song

The Arcade Fire - Black Mirror

I got his ep a while back which was good, but this one is a leap forward indeed; a real breath of fresh air in the often stifling world of new music

it's one of the best albums i've heard in a long, long time. so sparse & beautiful. i'm also a sucker for just a guy & his guitar though.

Yeah - you two are soooo correct. I'm finding myself singing the songs in the shower and have to immediately put them on.

Can't wait to buy the real cd.

Bruce Springsteen --- Dallas 4/13

...and you will know us by the trail of dead --- So Divided

Wilco --- A Ghost is Born

41KBHS4ANQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Gal Costa - India