Book recommendations?

Guest Muncle Douchey

Guest Muncle Douchey

i'm a serviceable rhythm guitar player looking to improve my lead play. any book recommendations on lead guitar playing? i'd also like to understand music/music theory better - any recommendations here?

There is a series of books called "Guitar Method" I hear are good. I have the beginner books but just can't bring myself to do it. There is a Lead Guitar book in the series for more advanced players. You can find them at most music stores and on Amazon.com

If you're into jazz at all, a great book is The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine. It is comprehensive and large. You could study this as a beginner all the way up to the most advanced. It's real easy to use and lots of examples. It's for any instrument (no tab). It's great not just for jazz but for anyone who wants to have an understanding of how music works so that you can improvise. It will show you how to sound good playing very simply and why it sounds good. Then show you how to sound "out" and give you lots of ideas on how to develop different ways and approaches to playing. Really good if you're a soloist and stuck in a rut or just want to be a soloist.