tad bit unrelated buy i'm way into their cover of Heart It Races on their MySpace. Hate the original song and AiH in general, but I'm crazy about this cover.

ah, yeah ... AiH ... right ... yeah ...

ok, i give up

what the hell is "AiH"

hate fricking abbreviations of impossibly obscure bands (and if "AiH" is not impossible obscure i apologize, but i'm batting like .000 on abbreviations)

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boys are gonna be on Conan this Thursday.

shweet!

I'm hoping for The Old Days. Sounds like it would be fun to watch (keys, feedback guitar)

EDIT: Spoiler Alert!!!!

I was right!!! They're playing The Old Days tonight! Toby got punched the throat and can't sing so they have to do a Scott tune.

EDIT: Spoiler Alert!!!!

I was right!!! They're playing The Old Days tonight! Toby got punched the throat and can't sing so they have to do a Scott tune.

Is this one of those "the end justifies the means" scenarios?

Here's the latest news from the Dr Dog camp, including the news about Toby:

Hey Folks

As you hopefully have noticed, FATE is coming out next week and

there's all kinds of stuff to tell you about. Unfortunately we have

to start this email off with some bad news. Here's the thing, Toby

got punched in the throat last weekend and he is just now getting

back to talking. After some cat scanning and throat poking the Doc

told Toby that, while nothing is broken or cracked, he would risk

more severe damage if he tries to sing too soon and strongly advised

that he not sing this weekend. They gave him some drugs and told him

not to talk which is maybe the only good thing to come of this mess.

We're all really sorry to have to do this but we have to make some

changes to the upcoming tour schedule.

We have to Reschedule 2 shows, cancel 1 show and cancel 1 instore. We

know this sucks but we're trying our best to get this done quickly and

we're very sorry for any inconvenience or other disappointments . If

you purchased tickets in advance they will be honored on the new

date. If you cannot attend on the new date, you will be refunded the

price of your ticket at the place of purchase. We know this is a pain

in the ass and there is not a punctuation mark on the keyboard to

express our displeasure in having to ask people to do this.

Fri July 18th at Club Cafe in Pittsburgh will be moved to Tuesday

August 5th

Sat July 18th at Chameleon Club in Lancaster is moved to Wednesday

August 6th

Mon July 21st at AKA in Philadelphia is Canceled. We're really sorry,

this would have been really cool and we heard that people were looking

forward to it. Very sorry to have to bail.

Tue Aug 5th at Beachland Ballroom is Canceled. This is because we

will be in Columbus on August 23rd at the CD101 festival so the show

is not being rescheduled.

So - now that that's out of the way there is plenty of good news.

We're still playing Conan. So this Thursday (That's Tomorrow), at

whatever time Conan O'Brien is on in your house, just towards the end

there when they squeeze in the musical guest.. that will be us,

playing The Old Days from our new album. Toby will be the one not

singing and trying not to look bummed.

Also buying a record nowadays is a big decision so we wanted to

educate you some before you figure out if this is something you

really want to commit to. Beginning Friday FATE will stream from our

myspace page in it's entirety. It'll be up there for 4 days so, check

it. If you get to listening and you start thinking you might want to

invest you may want to consider maximizing bang for your buck. There

is a list at the bottom of this email. This list is a list of Indie

Record stores (alphabetized by state). If you see a store on the list

it means they are in possession not only of FATE but of a free 7". The

little gem has two new songs "Dearly Departed" and "Worth My Time".

There aren't many things that 5 people can unanimously agree on but

on the topic of Senator R. Stevie Moore, there is no difference of

opinion in Dr. Dog: Stevie is one of the most awesome songwriters to

every give the craft a shot and he's been pretty influential to all

of us. He's playing before us at the two NYC shows next week, it's

something worth seeing.

Finally, the Bowery Ballroom show in NYC is Sold Out so if you're

considering an NYC show you can still get Music Hall Tickets but you

should probably do that soon cause there aren't many left.

http://www.musichallofwilliamsburg.com/calendar/show/1524/

Thanks for your understanding everyone, and for listening.

see you soon;

@....@

....@

They gave him some drugs and told him not to talk which is maybe the only good thing to come of this mess.

:lol

Also buying a record nowadays is a big decision so we wanted to educate you some before you figure out if this is something you really want to commit to. Beginning Friday FATE will stream from our myspace page in it's entirety. It'll be up there for 4 days so, check it.

This band is such a class act. Looking forward to Conan tonite, and get well soon, Toby! :cheekkiss

Luckily the next Denver date is in September, I believe, and won't be affected by that blasted throat punch. Can't wait - been too long since I've seen the boys... :dancing

Luckily the next Denver date is in September, I believe, and won't be affected by that blasted throat punch. Can't wait - been too long since I've seen the boys... :dancing

Mine is Ft Worth in September. Surely, the throat will be up for the killer howls I'm needing to hear by then. :pray

Don't try and make me feel guilty! :lol

No, I know you didn't mean it in a bad way.

That's horrible about Toby's throat being punched. I can only imagine how much fear and worry that would cause for a singer.

even though the vinyl/cd bundle was only $5 more, it was also $5 more for shipping that, so i ended up just getting the CD bundle as i really wouldn't play the vinyl all that much anyway.

so i guess that means i'd take an extra vinyl copy for $5, but not for $10.

Their performance on Conan was pretty underwhelming compared to their usual live fare, but that's how it goes with a lot bands on TV. They get too nervous about these things, sadly.

I thought they were pretty good, but nothing beats seeing them in a small club. The way they literally bounce off one another during the shows is missed on a bigger stage.

My review of the new record:

I’ve got this one friend who I constantly discuss the nature of art with. It sounds pretentious, and it probably would be if we weren’t using Lauryn Hill and the Saw series of movies as the basis of our discussions.

What we specifically discuss is whether or not there any room exists in art for objectivity. I tend to believe objectivity can’t exist in art, and I’ve gone so far as to say that the usage of genre labels and comparisons is a pointless exercise when discussing music.

I try to stay consistent with my beliefs, in other words.

However, how do you describe a band like Dr. Dog without giving into temptation and admitting that they are basically the Beatles with more distinctive voices?

Obviously it would be unfair to try to imply there is any relationship in the quality of the music, but with their jangly guitars, jagged solos, and three part harmonies, you’d be hard pressed to believe any of these boys listen to anything but Revolver when they were growing up.

And the same mostly goes for their 5th studio release, Fate, due out on July 22nd.

A majority of the songs reflect this Beatles influence (though I would also argue that due to their distinctive voices, they often sound more vocally similar to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young), and these are obviously the songs that are right in the band’s wheelhouse.

“From” echoes “Here, There, And Everywhere”, while “The Rabbit, The Bat, and The Reindeer” sounds like a Lennon-penned White Album outtake. These are the songs that first grab you, and for good reason. This is a band that knows what they are doing, and they’ve perfected the 3 minute guitar pop song.

But the songs that really hint at what this band might someday be capable of are the songs that veer away from this sound and go for a darker, more ominous feel.

Songs like “The Ark” capture more of the band’s raw live sound, which is really where the band is at its best. The introduction of the organ has added an atmosphere and depth to their songs not previously noted.

“100 Years” is probably the best merge of the two sounds explored on the record. Mostly ditching the guitars for a piano and organ based sound, it manages to be catchy without being quite too poppy, but since it is being carried by such a sparse arrangement (and a seemingly out of tune bassline), it also has enough interesting bits to keep you coming back for more.

Sure, I’m a sucker for harmonies and bright, sunny chords; I was raised on the Beatles, for crying out loud, how could I not be?

But as my tastes have grown, I’ve found myself drawn less often to that type of sound, so while Dr. Dog may have been in danger of losing my interest before long, their new direction (while, ultimately still firmly rooted in the influence of the past) has given me more appreciation of their work, both new and old.

Don't know if this was mentioned here already, but Newbury Comics is throwing in an autographed 7 inch with purchases of Fate.

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_viewup...upc=78837711032

For those who don't know it looks like the track listing on that 7" is 2 new songs: "Dearly Departed" and "Worth My Time".

Latest news, not good. This sucks for these guys. Worst timing possible. Get better, Toby!

Hey Folks

There's no way to say this and make it sound good. We have to reschedule the two NYC shows cause Toby is still not able to sing. He is getting better very quickly but there are pieces of voice that just aren't there yet.. like they don't make any sound... it's weird. This is really shitty on all kinds of levels not the least of which is that there are some people that have been planning on coming to these shows for months... including us.

We came up to New York today to meet with a vocal coach in the hopes that she could help Toby get back up to speed but it just did not go the way we hoped it would go. This is a really hard decision to make because any way we look at it it feels like we're letting people down. That said, a Dr Dog show without Toby singing is not a Dr Dog show.

We're really sorry this is happening and we know we're putting a lot of people out. The rescheduled dates are below and we hope you can come. If you cannot, the price of your tickets will be refunded at the point of purchase. If you can make the shows just bring your tickets and if you have Will Call tickets they will be available at the door as usual.

Music Hall of Williamsburg is being moved to August 26th

Bowery Ballroom is being moved to August 27th

The instore scheduled for today at Soundfix has been canceled.

In others news.. Fate came out today and while we wish we were able to celebrate we're still really excited for people to hear it. We can't wait to start playing this stuff live.. just have to wait a few more days I guess.

See you soon

@...@

....@