I don't think this has been posted, but here is an article from Pitchfork. Supposedly Beck has a new album that is due sometime this summer.

New Beck LP: 10 Tracks, 30 Minutes, Due This Summer

No title, release date, tracklist, or cover art just yet, but that Danger Mouse-produced, Cat Power-assisted Beck LP will indeed be coming at us a whole lot sooner than we thought a week ago. Clocking in at just over a half an hour, the ten track LP is due "this summer" from Interscope in the U.S.

Given how much we don't know about the project at this juncture, let's take an inventory of the rest of what we do know. Sez a press release: "The result [of Beck and Danger Mouse's collaboration] is a tightly assembled group of songs that range in lyrical tone from introspection and social commentary to off-the-cuff wordplay and lighthearted humor."

So it's a Beck album, then.

And the music? "Musically, the album's ten tracks vacillate between economy and experimentation, hybrid and pop classicism, while consistently manifesting Beck and Danger Mouse's shared interest in psych-rock, folk, electronic minimalism, and orchestration."

So it's a Beck album, then.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article from Billboard.com also:

New Beck Album Due This Summer

Beck

May 07, 2008, 2:45 PM ET

Michael D. Ayers, N.Y.

Beck will return this summer with an as-yet untitled 10-song set produced by Danger Mouse.

The album will be released on Interscope in North America and on XL Records in the rest of the world, although no official street date has been announced. Speculation abounds that the album could appear at any time, in a similar fashion to the way the Raconteurs released "Consolers of the Lonely" in March.

No song titles for the new Beck set have yet been confirmed, but there is speculation that Cat Power guests on one of the tracks.

2007 saw Beck release a lone single, "Time Bomb," which was nominated for a Grammy in the "Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance" category. 2006's "The Information" peaked at No. 7 on the Billboard 200.

Live dates are currently being fleshed out, with a headline appearance confirmed for Sept. 20 at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, with Spoon and MGMT also slated to perform. Beck also has some festival appearances on his summer calendar, including San Francisco's Outside Lands, Bumbershoot and Austin City Limits.

It apparently will be called "Modern Guilt"

Here is a pretty good update from Stereogum, including quotes from Beck and Danger Mouse:

From Black Keys to his own Gnarls B, Danger Mouse has been plenty busy. As previously suggested, his next high profile knob-turning job is Beck's 10th album Modern Guilt. RockDaily has the details:

"It was the most intensive work I've ever done on anything," Beck says.

Then he says more.

"It was like trying to fit two years of songwriting into two and a half months," Beck says. "I know I did at least 10 weeks with no days off, until four or five in the morning every night."

[Danger Mouse] remembers Beck's stamina during their late-night sessions: "He's like a machine. I always got tired before he did. I stayed pretty late, but I'd usually hear the next day how late it went." The resulting album, tentatively titled Modern Guilt, is full of off-kilter rhythms and left-field breakdowns, with an overall 1960s British vibe. Beck's vocals float over the music as if he's singing along to some mystical radio station in the next room. The title track has the groove of a good Zombies single, while the twangy guitar and uptempo beat of "Beggars Shoes" make it sound like Beck's cruising at maximum speed down Route 66. The lyrics include lines about the ice caps melting down (and "the transistor sound"), but there were many earlier versions. "I can't tell you how many times I wrote and recorded a complete song," Beck says, "and then just took everything away but the drumbeat and wrote a whole new song."

Beck and Danger Mouse knew each other casually before making the record -- some of Beck's former musicians ended up playing with Gnarls Barkley -- but they were both surprised at how naturally they worked together. "It felt like we could have been making our fourth record together," Beck says. "It did help that we share a lot of musical references. We spent the first week just talking about different records. His knowledge is pretty deep, especially with some of the obscure late-Sixties, early-Seventies rock."

The original vision for Modern Guilt was 10 short tracks. "I was hoping all the songs would be two minutes long," Beck says, "but then I got rid of all the short songs." Each song started with Beck playing acoustic guitar over a drumbeat: If it made the cut, they'd flesh out the music, usually with Burton playing keyboard bass and Beck playing most of the other instruments. There were just a few guests: Joey Waronker added drums to the epic "Chem Trails," which would have fit in nicely on an early Pink Floyd record. And Cat Power's Chan Marshall added backing vocals to a few tracks, including the melancholy "Walls," which includes the lyric "Some days are worse than you can imagine."

So far there's no official release date, but RS reports that sources say Beck's "likely to rush it out in June, much like the recent blitzkrieg of releases from Gnarls Barkley and the Raconteurs." Whatever you can do to keep the Web Sheriff and his creepy messages out of our download queue.

Sounds like this is gonna be good.

The original vision for Modern Guilt was 10 short tracks. "I was hoping all the songs would be two minutes long," Beck says, "but then I got rid of all the short songs."

Sounds like the 30-minute run time is out the window. :dancing

I don't understand the Information hate. I really like and still listen to Elevator Music, Cellphones Dead, Dark Star, Think I'm In Love, No Complaints, We Dance Alone and This Girl That I Know. :music

B-side?

The Information was way too long of album. It had some great tracks and some really weak ones. Beck needs to be a better self editor, in my opinion. Hopefully this album will be nice and tight, with all solid songs.

Take the best parts of The Information and put them with the best parts of Guero and you'd have a great record.

Anyways, I'm VERY excited about this record.

The Information was way too long of album. It had some great tracks and some really weak ones. Beck needs to be a better self editor, in my opinion. Hopefully this album will be nice and tight, with all solid songs.

true. he should have made a 40 min record and then released an ep, but this way he saved us cash, gave us a dvd and cool stickers.

this project sounds potentially very good.