• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you skip out on Mutations, too?

not at all, I thought it was pretty overrated though. I didn't really find it as 60's as Midnite Vulture's was 70's, which is how I would describe this new one so far: Modern Guilt is as Beck styled 60's as Midnite Vultures is Beck styled 70's.

not at all, I thought it was pretty overrated though.

i've always gotten the impression that Mutations and Midnite Vultures were pretty much ignored.

i rarely ever see anyone say either is their favorite Beck.

i've always gotten the impression that Mutations and Midnite Vultures were pretty much ignored.

i rarely ever see anyone say either is their favorite Beck.

I wanted to like both of them when they came out, but they still keep falling to the bottom of my list. I'll pop one of them in from time to time, but they're not growers.

The new one sounds quite good. Very excited about that.

What I like about the sound of "Mutations" is the space, the sound of the room, the sound of people playing together. With what I've heard from "Modern Guilt", it sounds like a sheet of paper. Hear me out. If "Electric Music and the Summer People" (a "Mutations" outtake) equaled the earth being round, "Gamma Ray" equals...well, you know. What, or who, is to blame? Danger Mouse? iPods? The disappearance of natural reverb on modern recordings?

They're being very, very careful about this. You could only listen to it in advance by going to a "listening party" at XL headquarters in the UK.

They've played a couple of tracks on Radio 1 over here and I've really, really liked what I've heard. Fingers crossed.

What I like about the sound of "Mutations" is the space, the sound of the room, the sound of people playing together. With what I've heard from "Modern Guilt", it sounds like a sheet of paper. Hear me out. If "Electric Music and the Summer People" (a "Mutations" outtake) equaled the earth being round, "Gamma Ray" equals...well, you know. What, or who, is to blame? Danger Mouse? iPods? The disappearance of natural reverb on modern recordings?

Odelay outtake, fwiw. Anyway, I sorta know what you're saying.

it did. i'm on my first listen and i don't think i like it at all. i'd only heard a live version of modern guilt (the track) before listening to this, and comparing this with that i'd say beck needs to stop fucking about with all the knobs and just put down the songs as they were written. it all just sounds so lifeless.

I was late for work because I was waiting for this to download this morning so I could put it on my iPod.

After 3 listens, I like this a lot. The only track that I really don't like much is "Replica." The first 4 tracks are great, and Walls, Soul of a Man and Profanity Prayers are all strong as well.

Definitetly a more complete and cohesive record than both Guero and The Information.

I do agree with the poster who mentioned the title track. The live version did sound a bit more rockin and upbeat and I wish that would have transferred better to the album.

Overall, I'm pleased with this and I think it is the strongest thing he has done since Sea Change.