here's the question:

do you buy the regular album on release date

or

wait a few months until he puts out the deluxe edition with all the b-sides/remixes?

he's done with the last 2 or 3 and it's kinda pissed me off.

i like Beck enough that i'd buy the special edition on original release date, but i'm not going to buy it again a few months later.

(although it was cool of him to include the dvd and stickers for low price with regular edition of The Information)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

easily his best work since Sea Change. I dig it and the production is great imo. I seem to either love or hate his stuff and i dig this a lot...

Boy, after one listen, I'm declaring this the snoozer of the year. It's putting me to sleep. This is not the Beck I love (and I LOVED Sea Change). There doesn't seem to be much redeeming in the way of lyrics OR music on this one. It seems like it could have been more maybe, but the songs just aren't there.

Beck's kinda lost me over the years. This is the third straight miss IMO. There were some really good moments on the last two albums but overall they lacked consistent quality. This album has more in the way of consistency: I just don't enjoy it.

Boy, after one listen, I'm declaring this the snoozer of the year. It's putting me to sleep. This is not the Beck I love (and I LOVED Sea Change). There doesn't seem to be much redeeming in the way of lyrics OR music on this one. It seems like it could have been more maybe, but the songs just aren't there.

Beck's kinda lost me over the years. This is the third straight miss IMO. There were some really good moments on the last two albums but overall they lacked consistent quality. This album has more in the way of consistency: I just don't enjoy it.

that's interesting, because Sea Change was always lost on me. It seemed like the least adventurous of all the Beck albums. Just some paint the numbers strumming, to me, anyways. This seemed like he's found an interest in arranging things and pushing himself onto aesthetics some more, playing around with his own devices and snagging some from others.

i've been watching the Information DVD today.

anyone know who the blonde chick is in a couple of the videos?

she's in No Complaints holding the tambourine in profile and in Soldier Jane, too.

kinda reminds me of Nico a little.

i was surprised to read that he said he was ashamed of Hollywood Freaks and Get Real Paid.

it should be interesting how he goes about releasing his next record.

Damn, those are two of my favorite Beck songs - where did he say that?

Damn, those are two of my favorite Beck songs - where did he say that?

they alluded to it some in the Pitchfork review.

then i googled and found it.

i'm not on the same computer to find it right now.

Other noteworthy item from this article:

"He tells a touching story about Nick Drake. So keen was he to understand how some of his favourite Drake songs were made that, two years ago, he set about recreating them exactly. Then, with no clear idea of what he should do with the finished results, he posted them up on his website. Recently, in another show of artistic curiosity, he went to Nashville for a couple of days and made an entire album of favourite covers, which he has no plans to release."

Other noteworthy item from this article:

"He tells a touching story about Nick Drake. So keen was he to understand how some of his favourite Drake songs were made that, two years ago, he set about recreating them exactly. Then, with no clear idea of what he should do with the finished results, he posted them up on his website. Recently, in another show of artistic curiosity, he went to Nashville for a couple of days and made an entire album of favourite covers, which he has no plans to release."

i meant to ask about this.

i remember those being put up, but i never downloaded any of them.

anyone know how many he put up on his website - and what songs?

I don't have the Nick Drake covers after all, but I do have a few other tunes that they threw up on beck.com around that time in 2005 (this DL also sort of randomly includes a remix of 'Mixed Bizness' and a cover of the Prodigy's 'Firestarter' which I didn't realize I had and which I can't even prove is Beck)

Enjoy!

Day For Night.mp3

Firestarter.mp3

Mixed Bizness (Cornelius remix).mp3

Premonition.mp3 - an instrumental

Sorrow.mp3

Untitled 2.mp3

Not the best quality, but I don't know where else you can get these. 'Untitled 2' is awesome.