Wilco, 5/15/08, The Pageant, St. Louis

No, this isn't about a couple of brushes to the arm. This is about a level of obnoxious shrieking that was bad enough to cause the band to stop the show and issue a warning. Bumping into people is one thing that's to be expected at a sold-out show, and I don't recall anyone in this thread complaining about such contact. I was sitting by the sound board, and my complaint (along with that of the sound guys) was 100% with the shrieking.

Perhaps what a lot of people who were at the Friday show would like is some compassion regarding the fact that they had their show experience interrupted by the inconsideration of someone in need of cutting loose.

Move on....

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, this isn't about a couple of brushes to the arm. This is about a level of obnoxious shrieking that was bad enough to cause the band to stop the show and issue a warning. Bumping into people is one thing that's to be expected at a sold-out show, and I don't recall anyone in this thread complaining about such contact. I was sitting by the sound board, and my complaint (along with that of the sound guys) was 100% with the shrieking.

The shrieking occured during one song and it was for Patmylump not for hatin on neighbors. Maybe this about ownership of a recording to add to your history/archive proof of existence. Tweedy looked down and said chill due to the fracas, not the screaming.

What is going to happen when the Rage fans meet the Wilco fans at some festivals this summer?

Move on....

Own up.

Or perhaps you could take your own advice and move on, too.

The shrieking occured during one song and it was for Patmylump not for hatin on neighbors. Maybe this about ownership of a recording to add to your history/archive proof of existence. Tweedy looked down

You obviously missed some of the discussions between security and fans around the same time.

As for the recording, can't say I care. You're mighty quick with the assumptions for someone preaching compassion. I was more concerned about the fact that someone was rude enough to interrupt the concert for others.

You obviously missed some of the discussions between security and fans around the same time.

As for the recording, can't say I care. You're mighty quick with the assumptions for someone preaching compassion. I was more concerned about the fact that someone was rude enough to interrupt the concert for others.

Uh, yeah, I was kindof watching the show, not talking to fans or security, which itself could be considered a distraction. Isn't that what the root problem is, a distraction from your connection to the band?

I apologize for assuming that you desire a clean recording. Not being a smartass, I really mean it.

As for rude, it was an misunderstanding between 4 people. Tweedy said, hey chill, that was it. Were there any other problems after that?

What happened Friday did not warrant face punching and removal by security, it was a couple of brushes from arm to arm. We are aware of 'those' people although, that is still part of a show sometimes and doesn't mean 'that' person is evil or should be executed or that the drink is to blame, merely a contributing factor. Shit, maybe you were going through some things that made you want to let loose when you were 'that' guy. We are all water and dna, etc. have some compassion.

No blame from my end, I just don't like being told I have to watch out for you. I see Wilco GA shows in a whole new light and category of it's own. Those people up front do deserve to be there, they paid their dues standing in line all day................rain or shine, snow or sleet. I use to think the same way, it's a free country, no one own's that spot, but I was wrong. While I was at the bar all day having fun, these folks were putting in time to insure them a spot on the rail. I took from them what they put in a whole day of waiting patiently in hopes to have their place for the event. I'm not one to waite in line all day, but when I do, I feel I have earned that place. Only one time did I butt in line, but did in a considerate maner. It was Wilco last year in Columbia and I got there late and really wanted to see Dr. Dog up front. I explained myself in a manner that was rewarded and returned to my original spot. Wilco shows are different than many others I have found out in the past nine years or so. It's not Tupelo whiskey drinking music, it's adults and children alike wanting to share a musical experiece in a common way, band and fans for that matter. If I wan't to get silly and egg on a band, I go see the Trucker's who promote this behavior. I don't think Wilco promotes these ideals and at first I thought it was kind of lame that a fanbase acted so seriuos. I quickly learned I was stereotyping them they same way I was. No one here is the same, not two are alike by any means but do share the same love for music in an adultly manor. Please oh plaese come to as many shows as you like, hang out.....I'll buy you the first round. Stay on these boards, there is more here than Just Wilco, I rarely ever talk Wilco on VC, nor do any of those standing in line all day. We could give a fuck less about how many posts we have, or the grime on someone. Hell, look at the one guy who has seen more Wilco shows than anyone on here, he has fewer posts than you, and he's one hell of a guy. Meeting these folks have been great, and I model my behavior to respect their's.

Sorry for the ramble.

No blame from my end, I just don't like being told I have to watch out for you. I see Wilco GA shows in a whole new light and category of it's own. Those people up front do deserve to be there, they paid their dues standing in line all day................rain or shine, snow or sleet. I use to think the same way, it's a free country, no one own's that spot, but I was wrong. While I was at the bar all day having fun, these folks were putting in time to insure them a spot on the rail. I took from them what they put in a whole day of waiting patiently in hopes to have their place for the event. I'm not one to waite in line all day, but when I do, I feel I have earned that place. Only one time did I butt in line, but did in a considerate maner. It was Wilco last year in Columbia and I got there late and really wanted to see Dr. Dog up front. I explained myself in a manner that was rewarded and returned to my original spot. Wilco shows are different than many others I have found out in the past nine years or so. It's not Tupelo whiskey drinking music, it's adults and children alike wanting to share a musical experiece in a common way, band and fans for that matter. If I wan't to get silly and egg on a band, I go see the Trucker's who promote this behavior. I don't think Wilco promotes these ideals and at first I thought it was kind of lame that a fanbase acted so seriuos. I quickly learned I was stereotyping them they same way I was. No one here is the same, not two are alike by any means but do share the same love for music in an adultly manor. Please oh plaese come to as many shows as you like, hang out.....I'll buy you the first round. Stay on these boards, there is more here than Just Wilco, I rarely ever talk Wilco on VC, nor do any of those standing in line all day. We could give a fuck less about how many posts we have, or the grime on someone. Hell, look at the one guy who has seen more Wilco shows than anyone on here, he has fewer posts than you, and he's one hell of a guy. Meeting these folks have been great, and I model my behavior to respect their's.

Sorry for the ramble.

i know i said i wasn't going to comment anymore, but this is very well put and something i think we all can agree on. :yes

Guest Cousin Tupelo
i know i said i wasn't going to comment anymore, but this is very well put and something i think we all can agree on. :yes

I only wanted to point out that I had nothing to add. :thumbup

I only wanted to point out that I had nothing to add. :thumbup

damn... :ohwell

Amen ?

I hope this thread never gets locked. Its usually the highlight to my day.

I can feel peace will happen soon. Wilco is going to ask all offended and offending parties to come up on stage and share in a group hug. Hell im sure there might even be something in the liner notes. someday.

No, they have not surfaced.

:cheekkiss

I for one appreciate what you do here, including keeping count of the present/not present torrents.

Sorry for the ramble.

I arrived right before the opening act went on and I ended up about three feet from the stage. Who cares if they waited all day in line? I don't want to sound like a jerk, but waiting all day entitles one to nothing. This is why it is called General Admission. I have never understood this feeeling of ownership of space at a concert. I have experienced it a few times myself and it is extremely annoying. I could understand if I took someone's seat, but I didn't. But I am not going to bow down to someone who waited in line. I don't care if the person next to me sings every word to every song either, unless I am deaf I am still going to be able to hear the band. I don't care if someone whistles, because the show will go on. I understand your point about knowing the audience, Wilco shows are not like Metallica. But when did everyone get so thin skinned? Are we all just acclimated to the terror warning color chart? Are we constantly going to be annoyed? Must we ask permission before we do anything? I think the bigger problem is that no one knows how to say "Excuse me, but could you please move?" Or, if someone does say that to another person, they don't know how to react, they take it as an affront. Peace out, Obama '08.