you may be right that sbs didn't break any new musical styles, but i'm confused about that because sbs strikes me as unique. i mean, it reminds me of nothing and no one else; to my ears it has its very own sound. of course, that may be because i'm not up on a lot of other music from the last ten years or so!

I think the trick is, it draws from a very established palette of musical styles (Big Star, Fairport Convention, Neil Young, the Byrds etc.) but it was written and performed by a group of musicians who are all uncommonly talented. That coupled with a very distinct production style (TJ Doherty hard at work) and you get a record full of things that have happened before; yet feeling completely new. I am vexed to think what the record they're working on now will sound like.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I think the trick is, it draws from a very established palette of musical styles (Big Star, Fairport Convention, Neil Young, the Byrds etc.) but it was written and performed by a group of musicians who are all uncommonly talented. That coupled with a very distinct production style (TJ Doherty hard at work) and you get a record full of things that have happened before; yet feeling completely new. I am vexed to think what the record they're working on now will sound like.

Very well put.

It will be interesting to see if anything new creeps into the next group of dates.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me that the best track on SBS is better than the worst track on YHF or Summerteeth? Sure there are a few good songs on SBS like Impossible Germany, Please Be Patient with me and You Are My Face, but this has got to be Wilco's worst album. That said it is still a decent album but I expect greatness from Wilco. I love Wilco but SBS is a step in the wrong direction. And maybe it will appeal to a wider audience but the music is not as good and no where near as deep as their other albums.

yes , the best track on SBS is better than the worst track on summerteeth and YHF dosent have a wrost track, seriously You are my face thats it.

how about this can you tell me that anything on Being There sounds as good as Sky BlUE sKY, I think Being There is amazing for a 90s atl rock record but ever since YHF

Wilco have been making a diffrent type of art and SBS is among their best efforts strange but true.

This is where we get silly because it is so subjective and people get offended- but-

"You Are My Face" obliterates "Candyfloss", or "Can't Stand It".

"Impossible Germany" makes "ELT" look ditzy.

I could go on. But, I would guess from what you said you wouldn't agree.

Meanwhile, there is no such thing as a weak YHF track as it is a modern masterpiece (picture the comic book store guy from the simpsons saying this). I do feel that AGIB and YHF struck an emotional chord with me that SBS has never quite hit, but I have said before and I will say again. Since it came out SBS has already started aging really well to my ears. It is distinct, maybe flawed, but definitely high quality rock music.

sky blue sky is a gorgeous work of art. i love it more every day and have been listening to it every day for a long time.

how about this can you tell me that anything on Being There sounds as good as Sky BlUE sKY

I think Sky Blue Sky sounds just like Far, Far Away. I guess being derivative isn't such a bad thing when you're borrowing from yourself, but it still left me feeling underwhelmed.

I think Misunderstood and Sunken Treasure are both much better songs than anything on SBS. Just one man's opinion. I also am in the camp that feels that nothing on SBS hits the highs of BT, ST or YHF. But again, just one man's opinion.

It's not a bad record, but it doesn't get as much play (from me) as the other stuff.