I think what Wilco did WAS risky!

Risky how? I think it may have been risky from a fan expectation standpoint, but there is really no new ground broken here. That's what i was referring to when I said I support an artist's ability to do whatever they want, whatever moves them. If simpler, more straightforward songs are what they were all about, great! And it may be a risky move given the Pitchfork crowd that has started to comprise a good portion of their audience. But this is risky from a career move standpoint, not a songwriting standpoint. It's genial enough, but after the last few albums it feels superficial to me.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think the chord progressions in songs like YAMF are straightforward?

Earlier I said I felt YAMF was the one exception and consequently the one tune of the whole album that is on my "favorite all-time Wilco songs" list. But again, I really do like the album, I'm just messed up enough to still consider it a disappointment. :P

I remember that Saturday night and I remember the joy I felt when I was hearing these songs for the first time through my shitty computer speakers... I am somehow still reminded of that night of joy every time I play the album. Those opening notes of Either Way still give me chills. I was just so freaking happy.

That was my first experience streaming a new album from Wilco and I felt like I was sharing my joy with other Wilco nerds like me.

I can't believe that was a year ago. I was so much older then.

My wife and I sort of have a tradition where we both go and pickup new Wilco record the day it comes out.

I too will never forget the opening notes of Either Way.. Wife and I just looked at each other and smiled. I know, I know.. Aw.. how cute right..

My wife and I sort of have a tradition where we both go and pickup new Wilco record the day it comes out.

I too will never forget the opening notes of Either Way.. Wife and I just looked at each other and smiled. I know, I know.. Aw.. how cute right..

Yeah, I hear ya. I always do the same thing too. I guess there was just something different and beautiful to me about being in the back room in my small apartment, late at night, plugged into the computer, listening to the album when Wilco leaked it a couple of months early for us.

Someone ties a bow in my backyard to show me love.

So many hearts beating in one place.

EDIT: and I remember listening to it 3 times in a row that night because I was afraid, like Cinderella and her pumpkin/midnight, that when I stopped listening to the stream that it would go away and I'd have to wait months for the album. Anyone remember the joy at coming back the next morning to see that if you left the window open you could keep streaming?! :)

interesting that this topic comes up right now. i've been having a hard time with 24/7 tinnitus, to the point where i became afraid to listen to music at all. it's so important to me, though, that i couldn't accept letting it go out of my reach psychologically. starting a couple of weeks ago i've been trying a "music protocol" designed to work your way back to tolerating sound through music AND being able to focus on the music despite your tinnitus. it involves listening to one cd every single day, beginning with a very low volume the first week and then slowly moving the volume up every week thereafter. i'm in my third week, and so far so good.

the cd i chose to listen to throughout this is . . . SBS. i look forward to my hour with it every single day, it's like christmas every day. i now hear every nuance of it and love each song for its own self. i do think it was a risky cd for them to put out, not only because it might not have been what the average fan expected but also because it has a unique sound. i've heard nothing else like it; it reminds me of nothing and no one else, so i see it as risky and adventurous because it's completely new and unique. its beauty is partly subtle, but for me there's no doubt about it: it's beautiful.

Guest Cousin Tupelo

I think with any artist(s) with a body of work, there is the arc of their growing and learning within their art, their craft, their own skin.

By far, most artists' arc is straight and true, some a bit of a squiggle here and there. With Tweedy and his minions, the curve is a healthy wave (consider the eager tail of a spermazoa -- sorry, no visual aid).

Certainly every fan's comfort zone has been compromised at one time or another on the directions Wilco has taken, yet at each point Tweedy was within his comfort zone, or at least going where he felt necessary for his art, his craft. Sometimes that dovetails where where you're at, your frame of reference; other times, no dice.

I find SBS a very reaffirming album, and I venture from everything I've read/heard is that for Tweedy it may be his most confident work.

I wonder if those with concerns about SBS is it largely a perceptional issue based on where each person is at musically and how earlier works have dovetailed with those frames of reference. You can oversimplify this with the alt-country fan, the Wilco-as-Radiohead crowd, the SLF/PiL punk sensibility.

I've definitely had enough coffee ...

The last two records have done virtually nothing for me, which is a shame really. Maybe I just set myself up for failure, with expectations impossible for any band to meet. Yes, that's it. It is my fault.
Vibes for your tinnitus. I hope you get well soon. You couldn't have picked a better CD for your treatment. :thumbup

thanks very much, lamrod. you all here manage to keep me entertained no matter what! so i appreciate

this place in numerous ways. :yes

I think with any artist(s) with a body of work, there is the arc of their growing and learning within their art, their craft, their own skin.

By far, most artists' arc is straight and true, some a bit of a squiggle here and there. With Tweedy and his minions, the curve is a healthy wave (consider the eager tail of a spermazoa -- sorry, no visual aid).

Certainly every fan's comfort zone has been compromised at one time or another on the directions Wilco has taken, yet at each point Tweedy was within his comfort zone, or at least going where he felt necessary for his art, his craft. Sometimes that dovetails where where you're at, your frame of reference; other times, no dice.

I find SBS a very reaffirming album, and I venture from everything I've read/heard is that for Tweedy it may be his most confident work.

I wonder if those with concerns about SBS is it largely a perceptional issue based on where each person is at musically and how earlier works have dovetailed with those frames of reference. You can oversimplify this with the alt-country fan, the Wilco-as-Radiohead crowd, the SLF/PiL punk sensibility.

well said, well said! keep on with the coffee!

I really loved SBS when it first came out. Although, this is true of each previous album, and I have a strong suspicion that this will be true of all of Wilco's future albums.

That being said, I don't go back to it all that often, and it's one of two Wilco albums (the other being A.M.) that I skip around on a lot, depending on what I'm in the mood to listen to. Leave Me... is probably my least favorite Wilco song and What Light is another that I often skip without feeling any remorse.

It's still Wilco and it's still a great album (case in point, I'll argue to the death its merits against any that disagree :lol ). But it's not one I think I'll reach for too often unless I'm in the perfect mood for it.

I still like it. It's very good.

But it could have been great.

Tracks 1-5 are perfect and beautiful. A+!

But, to me, this would have a better track list and put Sky Blue Sky in the same company as Being There.

1. Either Way

2. You Are My Face

3. Impossible Germany

4. Sky Blue Sky

5. Side With The Seeds

6. One True Vine

7. Leave Me Like You Found Me

8. Glad It's Over

9. What Light

10. On and On and On

11. Walken (after long fade out...the same way they did Late Greats on AGIB)

I still like it. It's very good.

But it could have been great.

Tracks 1-5 are perfect and beautiful. A+!

But, to me, this would have a better track list and put Sky Blue Sky in the same company as Being There.

1. Either Way

2. You Are My Face

3. Impossible Germany

4. Sky Blue Sky

5. Side With The Seeds

6. One True Vine

7. Leave Me Like You Found Me

8. Glad It's Over

9. What Light

10. On and On and On

11. Walken (after long fade out...the same way they did Late Greats on AGIB)

I would like the album more if it looked like this:

1. Either Way

2. Face

3. Impossible Germany

4. Sky Blue Sky

5. Let's Not Get Carried Away

6. Hate It Here

7. Glad It's Over

8. Leave Me

9. Walken

10. What Light

11. Thanks I Get

As it is, I listen to it the least. Perhaps that has to do with how often I see the band live, and SBS has been the focal point for well over a year. I think that theory was applicable for the tours behind YHF and AGIB as well. I'm not sure what I expected with the current lineup when they recorded it, but SBS wasn't what I expected at all.

well, i have finally been listening closely to SBS. I got into AGIB immediately, but SBS took a year. I think it is an excellent album and very well crafted. As with others, I could do with out Please Be Patient With Me and adding The Thanks I Get. Other than SBS the song, each of the songs is like a mini suite with a great melody, interlocking guitar lines, textured piano/organ, and an awesome breakdown. Impossible Germany being the best example. Really digging it.

c :thumbup

I like your posts!Well said.(You have one very good on the BD vs JT thread,too)

I could do with out Please Be Patient With Me

I don't understand why some people don't like Please Be Patient With Me. It's such a sweet, personal, song.. Not to mention, coming from a guitar player, the fingerpicking work on it is remarkable.

Guest Muncle Douchey
I don't understand why some people don't like Please Be Patient With Me. It's such a sweet, personal, song.. Not to mention, coming from a guitar player, the fingerpicking work on it is remarkable.

well said dude.

it's actually my favorite song on the album.