Some really interesting posts on this thread

I'm just a huge fan of jazz/avante-garde guitar, and Nels really added that to the band.

I don't hate SBS and really like about 5 tracks but where is the 'avante-garde' guitar on it? YHF and AGIB had more 'avante-garde' guitar and that had nothing to do with Cline.

Maybe they should just wheel him out for the live shows...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my question/desire would be to have them release a companion disc to SBS. Not necessarily a b-sides record, but take the songs that didn't make the cut (undoubtably at least 12 are lying around) and release a companion disc. It is the mood and production style of this record that I love. I wish there were a sequel to keep the magic going... I guess there were 2 awesome b-sides that come to mind (true vine, thanks i get, and then that rocky one, carried away?)

anyway, id really love that...

OR A SBS LIVE CD/DVD/DOCUMENTARY!!! PLEASE!!!

Guest Cousin Tupelo
my question/desire would be to have them release a companion disc to SBS. Not necessarily a b-sides record, but take the songs that didn't make the cut (undoubtably at least 12 are lying around) and release a companion disc. It is the mood and production style of this record that I love. I wish there were a sequel to keep the magic going... I guess there were 2 awesome b-sides that come to mind (true vine, thanks i get, and then that rocky one, carried away?)

anyway, id really love that...

OR A SBS LIVE CD/DVD/DOCUMENTARY!!! PLEASE!!!

I think bonus tracks are best heard on their own merits. Tweedy pays great attention to the order and selection of songs released as an album. As an artist you take what he has presented (but then it's not his anymore, so he says in What Light). But that's what he sees, those are the colors he chose.

For me Sky Blue Sky is a certain type of record its not a expansive pop record like YHF so natrauly not as many people are going to get it, fair.

For me Wilco was hugely succeful in their attempts to make this type of record mainly the production and tones.

For me its simple if you don't like this type of record thats fine and Im not saying how much I love it to out weigh the opinions of others.

The only problem I have is when people make satements suggesting theyve been personaly violated by something six artists that they do not personaly know have made.

I would also like to say I really love this record and its not for any other reason than I like the music.

The thing is Wilco has been the rare band where their fans liking evreything they have done is justified, its not blind love Jeff Tweedy isnt Rivers Cuomo.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot never needs to be made again A.M was successful at what it attempted to do and that sound will last forever, you can say the same thing about

every Wilco record and Sky Blue Sky keeps the train going, Sky Blue Sky is perfect and never needs to be made again.

One year later, Shake It Off is still a terrible song.

IYHO.

"total eclipse of the heart" was a terrible song. that makes "shake it off" only so-so for those who don't like it. IMHO.

I still like Shake It Off. Not as good as Side with the Seeds, but still a great tune.

I gotta say On & On & On is getting better with every listen. I thought it was all right when I first heard it, but I'm now appreciating how well it's written and how hauntingly powerful it is emotionally. And that keyboard solo is excellence.

One year later, Shake It Off is still a terrible song.

Shake It Off is one of the weaker songs on the album, but it is by no means a terrible song.. You gotta love the guitar riff during the chorus (although it does get a little repetitive) and Glen sure does go off on the song.

IYHO.

"total eclipse of the heart" was a terrible song. that makes "shake it off" only so-so for those who don't like it. IMHO.

I'm pretty sure "Shake It Off" is whatever it is to whoever is listening to it. Same for "Total Eclipse of the Heart," which I would rather listen to on most days.

I'm pretty sure "Shake It Off" is whatever it is to whoever is listening to it. Same for "Total Eclipse of the Heart," which I would rather listen to on most days.

Well I'd rather listen to the Dan Band version of Total Eclipse... "I fucking need you more, then eva!"

I'm pretty sure "Shake It Off" is whatever it is to whoever is listening to it.

indeed it is. i just thought a broader comparison might be in order, and could have chosen about 10,000 other songs that would have served as well as (or in your case better than) "total eclipse."

actually, "shake it off" is one of those songs i feel very differently about when it comes to music vs lyrics. i don't care too much for the music itself, but love several lyrics sections, such as:

sunlight angles on

a wooden floor at dawn

a ceiling fan is on

chopping up my dreams

so

i listen for

your lips to break apart

into words

somewhere there's a war

sometimes there is art

so many hearts

beating in one place

like a giant

beast with many souls

indeed it is. i just thought a broader comparison might be in order, and could have chosen about 10,000 other songs that would have served as well as (or in your case better than) "total eclipse."

And the comparison will still depend entirely on the listener, regardless of what song you put it up against. ;)

And the comparison will still depend entirely on the listener, regardless of what song you put it up against. ;)

Isn't that exactly the point she was making, with the IYHO/IMHO thing?

IYHO.

Isn't that exactly the point she was making, with the IYHO/IMHO thing?

Well, the bolded part seems to me to say that she is telling others how they should compare the two songs.

Like their other albums they have their place for the times of your life. About a month ago SBS was my personal Jesus. I think I am in moratorium now with the talk of a new album. Still jonesin for the SBS tour video.

It is her opinion of how other people should compare those two songs, yes. :)

yes, that was almost my opinion, but there was no should in it, if you'll take another look, which means it was an opinion.

isn't every post anyone ever writes just an opinion? that's how i take them. doesn't mean a person can't or shouldn't counter

another opinion with one's own. it's okay, don't worry, really, it's okay! :cheers

yes, that was almost my opinion, but there was no should in it, if you'll take another look, which means it was an opinion.

isn't every post anyone ever writes just an opinion? that's how i take them. doesn't mean a person can't or shouldn't counter

another opinion with one's own. it's okay, don't worry, really, it's okay! :cheers

word is bond, as its said wu tang clan

Fair enough. Still looks to me like you're telling people where they should rank Total Eclipse vs. Shake It Off. But you're right - it's okay. :)